Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
Hi
I have a mid2012 13''mbp and looking forward to upgrade it.
I saw that the new 13'' rMBP has just been updated with better battery life, broadwell and forcetouch.
Unfortunately it doesn't have the new keyboard that I'd like to try. Do you think that Apple will upgrade the 13'' rMBP in september/october 2015 AND include the new slim keyboard?
I know that this keyboard it's not a killer-feature but I was planning to change it on august, I could easily wait a couple more month and get the "new" machine.
What features are expected in the next upgrade? Maybe a slimmer design given be the slimmer keyboard?
Thanks
Have a good day

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
I hope they don't change anything. Maybe if it weighed less would be cool but redesigns with Apple scare me lol. I love apple to death but sometimes their redesigns take away expandability or even features. Examples Mac Pro tower to new Mac Pro, no PCI slots, cant replace the GPU. MacBook Pro classic to retina, Optical drive gone, cant replace memory, hard drive or battery. The iMac has also has similar changes. Maybe it wont be the same if they redesign it, but its already pretty lite, and looks really good. It just worries me...

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I don't think they will update it until the winter or spring of 2016. But i do think it will have the slim keyboard.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
I don't think they will update it until the winter or spring of 2016. But i do think it will have the slim keyboard.
if it's that late I'd be better off taking this one
since 2012 the've updated it every 8 month, now they did a "short release" of just 2 month so I don't know what to expect...

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
I really don't like that slim keyboard, the tying is no where near as nice as the current MBP. its not terrible but I'd rather stick with what we get now.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
if it's that late I'd be better off taking this one
since 2012 the've updated it every 8 month, now they did a "short release" of just 2 month so I don't know what to expect...

no they didn't. The 13" was updated 2 months ago. The 15" was just updated.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Most likely it'll be inspired by the new keyboard, I'm guessing similar keys, fonts and butterfly mechanism but my guess is it'll retain the current MBPs keyboard stroke, makes no sense for them to use MB keyboard stroke unless they decided to crank up the thinnest OD. Then Apple can claim to have the best keyboard in the industry as well.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Most likely it'll be inspired by the new keyboard, I'm guessing similar keys, fonts and butterfly mechanism but my guess is it'll retain the current MBPs keyboard stroke, makes no sense for them to use MB keyboard stroke unless they decided to crank up the thinnest OD. Then Apple can claim to have the best keyboard in the industry as well.
^^^ this is what I think Apple will do too.

The new keyboard is the way it is so Apple could achieve the unapologetic thin design for the MB. ;)

Kal.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I apologize (really) for being an outlier but I owned a rMB for two weeks and returned it because I really didn't like the keyboard. I am hoping that the 2016 refreshes won't include the new keyboard, but I'm guessing that the new keyboard is the way forward for Apple.

Reactions: roncron

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I really don't like that slim keyboard, the tying is no where near as nice as the current MBP. its not terrible but I'd rather stick with what we get now.

+1

This is why I ordered the current 15" MBP to replace my aging 17" 2010 MBP.

Reactions: SSD-GUY

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Hi
I have a mid2012 13''mbp and looking forward to upgrade it.
I saw that the new 13'' rMBP has just been updated with better battery life, broadwell and forcetouch.
Unfortunately it doesn't have the new keyboard that I'd like to try. Do you think that Apple will upgrade the 13'' rMBP in september/october 2015 AND include the new slim keyboard?
I know that this keyboard it's not a killer-feature but I was planning to change it on august, I could easily wait a couple more month and get the "new" machine.
What features are expected in the next upgrade? Maybe a slimmer design given be the slimmer keyboard?
Thanks
Have a good day

If you haven't already, go to an Apple store and try typing on the new "Macbook" which has this new slim keyboard. Some people like it, many don't, but I'd caution you not to conclude that you want it on your next rMBP until you try it.

Best of luck.

lachero23

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
It's very likely that they're gonna do an external change for the next refresh, as has been mentioned in a report earlier today, the thunderbolt 3.0 port is compatible with usb-c

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
It's very likely that they're gonna do an external change for the next refresh, as has been mentioned in a report earlier today, the thunderbolt 3.0 port is compatible with usb-c
it's all on WHEN there's gonna be an update ;)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well looks like Skylake will be the redesign, so now the pressure is on Intel :rolleyes:, I'm pretty sure Apple is almost done with their design for next-gen MBPs, and is now solving manufacturing issues ;)

The big problem with the new MB keyboard is the keystroke travel, I'm pretty sure the butterfly mechanism isn't the problem, and I just like the new keyboard fonts :D

Now that we think about it, with the rumours about the next OSX and iOS update changing to San Francisco typeface, it'll make sense for them to update their most popular computer lineup (the MBPs) alongside it. So if Intel doesn't screw up in their product launches, we might very well see the update end of this year.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
I bloody well hope not. They are a pain to type on. Try typing a quick paragraph on the rMB and then jump to the MBA 11" (for comparison, I chose the smallest MBA) and see how much better the experience is on the Air.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
It's weird, the new keyboard feels more like clicking a mouse as I type instead of pushing a keyboard. More of an "umph" than what I prefer

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I hope they don't change anything. Maybe if it weighed less would be cool but redesigns with Apple scare me lol. I love apple to death but sometimes their redesigns take away expandability or even features. Examples Mac Pro tower to new Mac Pro, no PCI slots, cant replace the GPU. MacBook Pro classic to retina, Optical drive gone, cant replace memory, hard drive or battery. The iMac has also has similar changes. Maybe it wont be the same if they redesign it, but its already pretty lite, and looks really good. It just worries me...

I'm with you there. I'm only waiting for the dreadful day when apple turns the rMBP into some unnecessarily thin space grey/gold laptop which has only 2 stupid USB-C ports.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
+1

This is why I ordered the current 15" MBP to replace my aging 17" 2010 MBP.

Same. i could have waited for Skylake, but I didn't want to take the chance on the slim keyboard (which is likely) and I have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to drop the dGPU entirely

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.