Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
3615431368_267ca04b3b.jpg

If anyone cares, posted 40-some screenshots of the WWDC build.

http://michaelflux.com/snow-leopard-10a380-part-2-screenshots

If you have any other screenshot requests, feel free to ask :)

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
The picture of the Snow Leopard from the keynote isn't included is it? :p

hmm? You mean the aurora wallpaper? Its included, but just like the old Leopard aurora it gets quite boring after a while I think - so I just change it to something else.

If you want it, I'm attaching it to this post.

Attachments

• DefaultDesktop.jpg
    DefaultDesktop.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 1,202

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
do guys also get a copy of snow leopard server? the server auroras are always cooler, so if you could upload that one it'd be great.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'm so excited it's not even funny.

Question, where did you find the picture/painting of the girl that's the wallpaper in some shots?

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan

Attachments

• SnowAuroraServer.jpg
    SnowAuroraServer.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 2,002

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
thanks so much, it's awesome. Are you running leopard server right now? how is it?

Currently just running the SL client and am absolutely loving it. Still haven't installed SL server so had to spend a minute digging around Twitter to find it :p Very pretty it is :)

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I just got invited to the seeding program (don't ask how) but unfortunately they haven't posted the latest build yet. I'm guessing you got your copy from WWDC? Do you think it's good enough to install on my main computer?

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
I just got invited to the seeding program (don't ask how) but unfortunately they haven't posted the latest build yet. I'm guessing you got your copy from WWDC? Do you think it's good enough to install on my main computer?

Absolutely. Since posting those screenshots I already almost every single app that I use and so far everything has been perfect. No app crashes, everything works just as it worked in Leopard, only faster (Creative suite excluded from being faster).

The only "crash" that I had was when I was restarting and for some reason Finder froze up and I had to force quit it before shutting down. And that's once in maybe 15-20 restarts that I have performed already.

So while only time will tell, so far everything has been most excellent and I am definitely continuing to use this as my daily OS. Going back from it to Leopard is almost like going back from 7 to Vista - everything just seems more sluggish.

*well, actually to add to my sluggish comment, most of the animations such as window minimizing, were sped up by maybe 30-40% so everything just feels "snappier".

Also you now get a very cool fade-in/out animation on all the icons thought-out the system so when you for example delete a file via the cmd+delete shortcut it just fades out of view instead of instantly disappearing.

A ton of such little things all around, just a much more polished OS.

I meant this one, sorry. :eek:

Ah, that one they got from Corbis as they do with all of their pretty photos.

*if* I'm not mistaken, its from this photo shoot: http://pro.corbis.com/imagegroups/imagegroups.aspx?typ=2&id=1246749&ri=42-16423755

But it seems like that specific image isn't available atm, Apple probably just bought it outright.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for the screenshots InkMaster... I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I think I'll brew a pot and put in the time tonight. One thing, does this have the expose built into the dock? I didn't see any shots of that and fear that it didn't make this copy...

Cheers

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Thanks for the screenshots InkMaster... I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I think I'll brew a pot and put in the time tonight. One thing, does this have the expose built into the dock? I didn't see any shots of that and fear that it didn't make this copy...

Cheers

Thats actually one of the things I've been trying to figure out. As far as I can tell now, no. It seems like the version of expose isn't the one that they showed off at WWDC. It neither aligns windows in a grid, nor can I find any way to activate it via dock. When I press and hold as was demonstrated, all I get is the standard right-click menu.

TPMann GB

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
South West England
Thats actually one of the things I've been trying to figure out. As far as I can tell now, no. It seems like the version of expose isn't the one that they showed off at WWDC. It neither aligns windows in a grid, nor can I find any way to activate it via dock. When I press and hold as was demonstrated, all I get is the standard right-click menu.

Does it use the new technologies such as Grand Central Dispatch? Not really sure how you would tell though?

Does it have the new Quicktime UI?

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Does it use the new technologies such as Grand Central Dispatch? Not really sure how you would tell though?

Does it have the new Quicktime UI?

QuickTime X is built into Snow Leopard, although this actual build lacks the new icon.

It also continues to have awful codec support. It still can't play .mkv, .avi or several other popular formats without the help of Perian. Considering what an overall QuickTime got, you'd think Apple would have tried to make it somewhat more useful.

Cheers
No. This build seems to be older than the one Apple demonstrated at WWDC, and lacks the Expose improvements, including being able to trigger it from the Dock.

Overall, though, this build of Snow Leopard is very stable and I'd roughly estimate that it's at least at an RC level by now.

Yes, it's annoying having to install 3rd party stuff. Think Windows 7 supports a lot of new formats now out of the box.
It does, and that's an advantage Windows 7 will have over Snow Leopard.

Although it's hardly a chore to install Perian, and it works fine with QuickTime X, from what I can tell.

Also keep in mind that perhaps then gold release will improve the codec support. It's possible that some support was removed, as this is the WWDC build.

TPMann GB

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
South West England
QuickTime X is built into Snow Leopard, although this actual build lacks the new icon.

It also continues to have awful codec support. It still can't play .mkv, .avi or several other popular formats without the help of Perian. Considering what an overall QuickTime got, you'd think Apple would have tried to make it somewhat more useful.

Yes, it's annoying having to install 3rd party stuff. Think Windows 7 supports a lot of new formats now out of the box.

It does, and that's an advantage Windows 7 will have over Snow Leopard.

Although it's hardly a chore to install Perian, and it works fine with QuickTime X, from what I can tell.

Also keep in mind that perhaps then gold release will improve the codec support. It's possible that some support was removed, as this is the WWDC build.

Can't wait to install it, looking forward to the speed improvements.

Loving Safari 4 on 10.5.7 though, don't normally notice any extra snappiness, but I am with this. Is there any noticeable difference in 10A380?

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Can't wait to install it, looking forward to the speed improvements.

Loving Safari 4 on 10.5.7 though, don't normally notice any extra snappiness, but I am with this. Is there any noticeable difference in 10A380?

None that I can feel. Safari 4 feels exactly the same to me on Vista, 7, Leopard and Snow Leopard. However, the latter benefits from being fully 64-bit, and it really does have the "crash protection" that was talked about. (Essentially what this means is that each tab is its own process, just like Google Chrome.)

All the standard applications on Snow Leopard are 64-bit, including the Finder (which is also now Cocoa.) And the Finder really feels a lot better in Snow Leopard. There are even subtle animation improvements, one of the benefits of moving to Cocoa. No more transitional Carbon BS.

TPMann GB

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
South West England
None that I can feel. Safari 4 feels exactly the same to me on Vista, 7, Leopard and Snow Leopard. However, the latter benefits from being fully 64-bit, and it really does have the "crash protection" that was talked about. (Essentially what this means is that each tab is its own process, just like Google Chrome.)

All the standard applications on Snow Leopard are 64-bit, including the Finder (which is also now Cocoa.) And the Finder really feels a lot better in Snow Leopard. There are even subtle animation improvements, one of the benefits of moving to Cocoa. No more transitional Carbon BS.

Awesome, sounds good. Are there any improvements to the Finder Sidebar? Like when you uncheck all the "Search for" options, does "Search for" still appear in the list?

Also are the Spotlight searches now more like the Tiger ones? Miss those!

Will also be good to have four-finger gestures on my MBP without having to change the .ktext file!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
in the previous builds i used QuickTime Player X didnt have any preferences and so you couldnt set it to automatically play launch. can this be done on the newest beta?

also how is the stability? i found that looking around everything in System Preferences caused it to crash a lot. have you found this so?

thanks for the SL Aurora desktop btw!

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
in the previous builds i used QuickTime Player X didnt have any preferences and so you couldnt set it to automatically play launch. can this be done on the newest beta?

also how is the stability? i found that looking around everything in System Preferences caused it to crash a lot. have you found this so?

thanks for the SL Aurora desktop btw!
QuickTime X itself is still a little buggy in this build. As you already mentioned, the Preferences menu simply doesn't exist. Also, opening the application on its own without actually using it to view a movie or something results in nothing. The application runs, but no window appears.

As for System Preferences, works fine. Haven't encountered a single problem.

Nothing on my system has crashed yet, although Safari 4 does have some slowdowns.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Here's some SS of screen recording, don't thin I've seen any.

Pretty good OS, feels solid just poking around right now.

Attachments

• Screenshot on 2009-06-11 at 3.12.49 AM.png
    Screenshot on 2009-06-11 at 3.12.49 AM.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Screenshot on 2009-06-11 at 3.13.17 AM.png
    Screenshot on 2009-06-11 at 3.13.17 AM.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,307

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
QuickTime X itself is still a little buggy in this build. As you already mentioned, the Preferences menu simply doesn't exist. Also, opening the application on its own without actually using it to view a movie or something results in nothing. The application runs, but no window appears.

As for System Preferences, works fine. Haven't encountered a single problem.

Nothing on my system has crashed yet, although Safari 4 does have some slowdowns.

:eek: i hope preferences are added. automatic play and full screen preferences are essential!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.