Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aphistic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Hi everyone!

I recently picked up a Macbook (13", not the Air) because I want to get into some iPhone development and I'm really impressed with the platform. I'm one of those guys that spouted mac hatred for years but I'm willing to eat my words. :) If I can iron out some of the frustrations I'm having I'd love to eventually pick up a Mac Pro to replace my desktop.

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice from other switching developers or anyone in general for some mouse and keyboard frustrations I've been having. A little overview of my set up and situation: I have a G15 keyboard and a G7 mouse that I have plugged into a USB "Switcher" (something like a KVM for USB devices) so I can switch my keyboard and mouse between my Windows PC and Macbook. I don't have a lot of room at the moment so I'm trying not to add another keyboard if at all possible. I'm also really picky about my "inputs" so that's what leads me to my conundrum.

When I'm coding I tend to use the Home/End keys a lot and I've found that Command + Left/Right have the same functionality but it feels really inefficient and "out of the way" to do that, especially while holding Shift to select a line at the same time. Is there a way I can use the Home/End (and possibly the Delete) keys on my G15 keyboard to get the same functionality as in Windows? "Worst case" scenario it looks like the Matisa Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboard (http://matias.ca/tactilepro2/) has Home/End keys that work the way I'm expecting (hoping someone can confirm this).

The mouse frustration I'm having comes from the way the mouse accelerates when you start moving it. When I'm on Windows I'm able to turn off the acceleration so the mouse moves at a constant speed. On OS X it seems like there's a small ramp up in speed when you first start moving the mouse that leads to me either overshooting my target or not moving far enough and having to move the mouse again to THEN overshooting the target. :p

Another problem I'm having that seems weird to me but I can't place if it's the Macbook or the LCD I'm using but it seems the external LCD I have (connected via VGA with the MiniDV->VGA adapter) intermittently blanks out like it's not getting a signal for a second or two and then comes back. The LCD on the Macbook itself, however, and everything else seem to be running ok during that time. Is this something I should take it back into the store to have looked at? I thought I remembered reading something about the Unibody Macbooks having display troubles.

Thanks for the help!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Every keyboard will behave in the same way. Your complaint is with the software, not the hardware.

I was also tripped up by the way it handles text when I got my first Mac five years ago. Control+left/right does the same as the Windows home/end keys. Learning to use command+W in place of alt+F4 was a bit of a jump as well.

There's not much I can say about the mouse thing. There are just some things you have to get used to. I regularly switch between Windows and OS X (using the same peripherals) and don't notice any difference in the cursor movement unless I'm actually paying attention.

Intermittent problems are always the hardest to diagnose and repair, but you might want to give Apple a call about that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.