Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voodoopenguin

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Thing is, I'm sure that apple more than makes up for their costs in peripherals by what they make from marking up prices of their other products. It used to be that you bought a MBP, they'd throw in a vid adapter (DVI and VGA for example) and an apple remote. They've since decided to go ahead and charge ya $60 if you want both. It's not that people feel entitled (I don't, anyway), but it felt like they really cared about their consumer to offer these products in the cost of what you paid for your pro product.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
It is insanely cheap, $29 - the same price as the USB 100Mbit Ethernet adapter! And it says it is only compatible with the MacBook Air and "MacBook Pro with Retina Display". No other Thunderbolt-equipped Macs.
I think this is nonsense, because Apple says this is a software problem:
Apple Inc. said:
From the Google cache:

About Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2

Adds support for the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

System Requirements:
OS X Lion 10.7.4 or later

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
It sounds like you just want something to cry about.

1. WiFi. Welcome to 2002.

2. No one is forcing you to buy a computer without a wired ethernet port.

3. $29 is cheap for a Thunderbolt accessory. In fact, it's probably the cheapest Thunderbolt accessory on the market.

Typical fanboy response.

Apple takes and you say, "thank you, would you like to take more?"

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Typical fanboy response.

Apple takes and you say, "thank you, would you like to take more?"

Not at all a fanboy response. Apple built a computer that is so thin it can't fit an ethernet port. Let's be honest, ethernet is, for most home users, out dated. Especially when we are considering a LAPTOP, which is built to be PORTABLE, ie, pack it up, use it on a plane, in the car, in a coffee shop, while waiting to get your tires changed, at work, etc.

So it's NICE that Apple made a thunderbolt->gigabit adapter, but they are under no obligation to give it away for free.

... I'd also be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that own a laptop have never plugged an ethernet cable into it.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I picked up the adapter today for my mid 2011 MBA. It is not working and the link above is dead. Hopefully Apple does an update or else it is back to the Apple store to return and get the usb adapter.

Give the a little time. uSB2 can't give you gigabit speeds.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I picked up the adapter today for my mid 2011 MBA. It is not working and the link above is dead. Hopefully Apple does an update or else it is back to the Apple store to return and get the usb adapter.

The TB update was causing start-up issues with some Macs so Apple pulled it. I expect we'll see an updated update (*groan*) soon.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
That's what I figured, a little disappointing non the less.

Yeah, USB2.0 just sucks too hard.

I overnighted the Thunderbolt -> Gigabit ethernet adapter the day it was released, and I updated both of my Macs with the software update and had no issues. It's working flawlessly for me. I have it hooked up to my server Mac mini, so it gives me 2xGigabit ethernet connections, I have them aggregated into a single "link" so it gives me in effect twice the bandwidth of Gigabit ethernet, so that if multiple computers are streaming huge files then it won't slow down.

It's badass. The Mac mini setup link aggregation between the built-in ethernet and the Thunderbolt ethernet in about 10 seconds. It actually took me longer (1 minute!) to configure it on my Cisco switch. It's so damn cool man.

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012

I have the same problem. I've had it for five days and I'll be traveling for a week. I'm afraid by the time I get to check out the update it'll be to lat to return it if that's not the problem. When I called apple to get a return label the dust service rep said she checked with technical and they said it should work even without the update.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I have the same problem. I've had it for five days and I'll be traveling for a week. I'm afraid by the time I get to check out the update it'll be to lat to return it if that's not the problem. When I called apple to get a return label the dust service rep said she checked with technical and they said it should work even without the update.

Just out of curiosity, what are you guys doing when it doesn't work?

I am in no way saying that it should work without the update, but I'm just curious if it's possibly something you are missing. When you plug your TB->Gigabit adapter in, and put a network cable in it, and then goto System Preferences -> Network, do you see anything indicating Ethernet or Thunderbolt ethernet adapter attached in the left hand column?

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise

I am in no way saying that it should work without the update, but I'm just curious if it's possibly something you are missing. When you plug your TB->Gigabit adapter in, and put a network cable in it, and then goto System Preferences -> Network, do you see anything indicating Ethernet or Thunderbolt ethernet adapter attached in the left hand column?

I'm not seeing anything under the system preferences -> network. I am seeing that it is detected in about this mac system profile though. Thanks for trying to help by the way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 1.47.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 1.47.47 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 1.50.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 1.50.04 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 155

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I set mine up the day after it came out, so I don't remember exactly what was necessary.

In system prefs -> network, have you tried clicking the "+" to see if you can add it into the list? For the service type, it should be something like "Thunderbolt Ethernet."

(In the screenshot, "Server bond" is my Mac mini server with the TB ethernet aggregated to the built in ethernet.)

If it's not listed there, then like you said, it's definitely something that needs a quick update from Apple to fix.

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,686

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Just for the heck of it, this is my System Information thing for the Thunderbolt->Gigabit adapter.

The only difference that seems to be here is the UID, which I have no idea if it's significant or not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 12.59.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 12.59.34 PM.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 123

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012

The ethernet has a red indicator, it shows not connected and if I go through the assist me it just says that I'm not connected.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
The ethernet has a red indicator, it shows not connected and if I go through the assist me it just says that I'm not connected.

Can you try clicking the (+) sign and seeing if you can add thunderbolt ethernet as a service?

(I am not saying this is a fix, it's just a possibility that the system is seeing the adapter connected, but not automatically adding it to the list of available network adapters.)

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Can you try clicking the (+) sign and seeing if you can add thunderbolt ethernet as a service?

(I am not saying this is a fix, it's just a possibility that the system is seeing the adapter connected, but not automatically adding it to the list of available network adapters.)

Tried it but same thing. Status says Cable Unplugged.

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Washington
Except for the Retina model, the new Macbook Pro's still come with Gigabit Ethernet built in.

If I want to be able to drive off road, I'm not going to complain that Chevy failed to provide off road capability in the new Corvette, I'm going to buy a new Silverado.

These car analogies that keep being presented are logically fallacious. You can't compare the differences between a truck and a Corvette to two MBPs that are so similar. The argument fails with the new MBPs and MBPs w/ RD in that the primary differences (aside from a lack of Ethernet) is thickness and the RD. The RD and thinness do not make the respective model a Corvette to the other updated MBP's "Silverado".

I'm not really interested in pursuing this debate because it isn't appropriate for this thread. I just wanted to point out that your analogy was fallacious. You really should have compared it to two vehicles that were very much alike except for some key differences that made one faster than the other, or in some way perform better.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
These car analogies that keep being presented are logically fallacious. You can't compare the differences between a truck and a Corvette to two MBPs that are so similar. The argument fails with the new MBPs and MBPs w/ RD in that the primary differences (aside from a lack of Ethernet) is thickness and the RD. The RD and thinness do not make the respective model a Corvette to the other updated MBP's "Silverado".

I'm not really interested in pursuing this debate because it isn't appropriate for this thread. I just wanted to point out that your analogy was fallacious. You really should have compared it to two vehicles that were very much alike except for some key differences that made one faster than the other, or in some way perform better.

The car analogy works. Both have the same basics, but are intended for slightly different usage (let us face it... Both will spend most of their lives on the daily commute).

It doesn't have a Ethernet port, go tell apple, I'm sure they know already.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Apple isn't trying to kill Ethernet. They're trying to move away from Ethernet in their portables. They're probably also trying to integrate their Thunderbolt displays into your life. And they have an adapter, which others can create more inexpensive knockoffs from.

I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision on Apple's part, but for the majority of situations and customers, I think it was the better move. Just personally, I've never needed Ethernet outside of home, where you can setup whatever permanent Ethernet solution available to you.

When they don't include Ethernet on their desktop machines, then we have a HUGE problem.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

I did, so yes I can. The issue was initiated with whining about the MBP retina lacking something as if Apple screwed the consumer out of something. Obviously that is a flawed argument, it was designed for exactly what they intended to provide in that model of laptop. If it doesn't provide the functionality a consumer desires, they should consider the alternative that does provide the desired functionality. So your opinion aside, my analogy is completely relevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.