Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nw8029

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Just got an ibook and using a wireless router and would appreciate some advice.
1. Having problems accessing my hotmail account - put in my name and password but the page just seems to refresh; is this a networking issue or something to do with ibook setup?
2. Also, when I try to connect via a cable to set up encryption on the router, I cannot connect to it (a linksys) - the IP address is not recognised. The linksys helpline stated that they haven't got any advice to give for Mac users!
Thanks in anticipation.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
What version of MacOS X are you running?

1. Are you using Safari? What version? Have you tried using Firefox?
2. Open up the System Preferences (its under the ? menu). Click on the Network icon. Click on the Show pop-up menu and select Built-in Ethernet. Check out the settings and post them here.

lucface

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2005
1. enable cookies for wich ever browser you are using.
2. likesheep said, post your settings. what cant you connect to? the router? explain.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
nw8029 said:
Just got an ibook and using a wireless router and would appreciate some advice.
1. Having problems accessing my hotmail account - put in my name and password but the page just seems to refresh; is this a networking issue or something to do with ibook setup?
2. Also, when I try to connect via a cable to set up encryption on the router, I cannot connect to it (a linksys) - the IP address is not recognised. The linksys helpline stated that they haven't got any advice to give for Mac users!
Thanks in anticipation.
Make sure you are actually connected to the router you think you are.
;) What I mean is make sure you are not connected to a neighbor's wireless router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.