Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GetGo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
New Jersey
Do I need RSS and what is the best program to read RSS for my ibook? Is everyone using this. I don't know much about it. Can someone explain and recommend a free reader.

Thanks

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
RSS is the general term used to describe several similar formats, all of which are very simple and xml based. an rss file is usually automatically generated from a website or blog and is usually nothing more than a list of "titles" or headlines, and "stories" or body copy. an rss reader is an application that "subscribes" to several of these files or "feeds". this lets you very quickly get information from many sites without visiting them. for example, i use NetNewsWire Lite and have it set to automatically check all of my feeds every 30 minutes. this way, i can grab the latest headlines from macrumors, slashdot, comingsoon.net, macupdate, etc. without having to visit the site. download netnewswire lite and subscribe to some of its included feeds, then start looking for ones on sites you visit frequently (there's usually a little orange "xml" or "rss" button to indicate the feed address).

stoid

macrumors 601
What are the best RSS Aggregators? I want something low profile that will show me the information when I need it, but go away very small when I don't. I would also like it to notify me when a new item is available. Does NNW Lite fit that bill, or is there a better one?

Sneeper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
San Francisco
stoid said:
What are the best RSS Aggregators? I want something low profile that will show me the information when I need it, but go away very small when I don't. I would also like it to notify me when a new item is available. Does NNW Lite fit that bill, or is there a better one?

There is a RSS Konfabulator widget that is very low profile. It may be exactly what you are looking for!

http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=35750

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Does anyone know if there is an RSS feed for foxnews.com -- how would I get that working? (new to RSS as well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.