Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HGW

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
in settings is it still possible to program third party remotes with the new tv.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
I don't see any reason why the harmony remote wouldn't work. It works with my Mini and my old Apple TV before I got rid of it.

amnost

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
United States
in settings is it still possible to program third party remotes with the new tv.
YES!!! You can.

Mac Rumors wrote a guide on how to pair a Logitech Harmony Series remote with the Apple TV -- here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Pairing_AppleTV_and_Harmony_Remote

If you can program the Logitech Harmony remotes, I'm going to gurrantee you that there's a handful of other remotes out there that can be programmed to work with it. :p

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
The new Apple TV looks like it comes with a plain Jane Apple remote, so I assume the IR commands are going to be the same and should require no reprogramming of a universal remote.

Logitech is pretty good about supporting new devices quickly anyway, however.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I don't think the OP is asking if any Harmony/programmable remote can mimic the AppleTV remote. It's IR, I can't imagine it not working!

What the OP asked is can you train the new AppleTV itself to respond to an entirely different set of remote commands. On the original AppleTV, you could go into settings, and "teach" the AppleTV commands from any given IR remote. I trained mine to respond to the second control side of my TiVo remote. It worked great!

I hope they didn't remove this feature, but who knows!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.