Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Thinner and lighter are big selling points for fitness, which it sounds like Apple is doubling down on this time.

And why exactly? Because Apple Watch is so heavy you can't run or what? A thinner watch would make no difference for fitness use case.

Reactions: Ghost31

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I hate it when my products suddenly become old lol

What's worse, passing up on gen 1 waiting almost 2 years (since announcement) or paying top dollar when the watch first came out which will be obsolete in a few weeks?
Look at the bright side, you got your money's worth.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Not really seeing the difference.. even if the screen material is smaller the battery is bigger so that would still be in the same boat of overall framing design.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
As long as they are giving the processor a speed bump too (S2?), I will be buying one of these. Will be a solid 2nd version, not quite iPad 2 awesomeness (if no changes in form factor) but pretty close.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
A year and a half later the watch still doesn't tell me the battery % of my phone. It still doesn't notify me if I left my phone behind and the new dock feature is crap.

Reactions: dontworry

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
like the iPad 2 after the original, merely the size and form factor played a huge part in making it 10x better. i'll be considering an apple watch next year even if it doesn't do much more.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Why do all of you guys want Apple Watch to be thinner? I don't know what kind of (men's) watches you are wearing but the thickness of Apple Watch is pretty average. It's almost a thin watch. There are many men's watches which are way clunkier. Strange people these days...

I don't care so much if the actual device is thinner (i.e. give me more battery, not less please!) but I do think that a thinner screen will make the AW2 that much more responsive, which is a good thing as sometimes isn't quite as responsive as my 6S Plus.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Circle Apple... god damnit

Only innovation from Apple nowadays is its ability to keep my wallet safe.

Round is innovation? You're easily pleased.

like the iPad 2 after the original, merely the size and form factor played a huge part in making it 10x better. i'll be considering an apple watch next year even if it doesn't do much more.

The form factor works when it's not used as a watch to be honest, bit like the phone is only a small part of what the iPhone is.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
As long as the new battery is in their and then i am in i wont be purchased it otherwise it would be a waste of money and i would be interested in it at all i am just interested in the big battery for the scribble feature nothing else

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Why do all of you guys want Apple Watch to be thinner? I don't know what kind of (men's) watches you are wearing but the thickness of Apple Watch is pretty average. It's almost a thin watch. There are many men's watches which are way clunkier. Strange people these days...

agree with this. i think everyone who complains about the AW thickness hasn't worn a watch before.

my AW is so thin and light there's times i honestly have to check that it's still on my wrist.

Reactions: marvz

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Why would they go backwards?

when the AW first came out, there was a behind the scenes articles somewhere (Wired?) that explained the design reason why they went with square vs round. i doubt they'd go back.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
But is your wallet?

mine is for the simple fact that I doubt I am going to upgrade my iPhone this year for the first year since the OG iPhone. I think I am going to upgrade my watch and then wait till next year to get a new phone. My 6S still kills any game or app I throw at it and has yet to show me lag anywhere across the OS. I don't care about cameras so the incremental upgrade means nothing to me and I already have a 128gb so don't need more storage either. Anyway, my wallet is (semi) ready!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Wish these parts were shipped to someone who could actually understand what the chips in the back were to see what we are going to get.

View attachment 647904

Based on these pictures, I'm not sure how Apple plans on improving water resistance, since these new displays appear to be glued on just like the last ones. Not a good sign.

Why? Circular displays have far less screen real estate. Is this purely for your preferred aesthetics?

Not compared to Apple's current display area. Comparable 42mm round displays actually have more real room than the Watch.

Here's a 1:1 comparison to the Huawei 42mm.

29307995981_1fc05161f9_o.jpg

And here's the comparison with the display optimized for the round display.

29307996151_8f746db715_o.jpg

There's no question even with a text display that there's far more screen real estate for developers to work with.

Now, if Apple ever expands their display edge to edge then it's a different ballgame. But for now, and at least the next year it appears, round watch displays will have a clear advantage over the Watch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.