Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audiocream

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
Did not work for me - BUT

Hi there!
Thanks for the pics and effort.
I bought 3 Velociraptors with the IcePak and had 1 Western Digital 250GB that came with the Mac Pro.
I ve read this topic before buying them so i was quite sure that it will work.
Though after following your guide the SATA cables turned out to be to short. I could not get it in the middle where the raptor plugs are. One reason was that the Sata power cable interferred with the temperature sensor.
Well well.. so i thought of buying that chassis praised on barefeats to build the HDs in. No!
The thing to put off the philipps screws to have more room for the connectors is a great idea!
I finally put off the 3 Torx of the ice pack (!!!) and then turned the Raptor alone to the left. 1 screw is enough to hold it and finally that was the possibility to connect ALL Sata plugs WITH sleds on EVERY Port (you can use 1-4). I will write it in my blog these days at http://www.circledcube.com with some pics IF anyone is interested in pics.
Regards and that is moneysaving and fast. : )
My setup is now:

Bay 1 - WD 250 GB
Bay 2-4 Velociraptor standard retail package with icepack

Best regards

Mandala

P.S.: You need a calm hand and much patience to plug the connectors in.
.. and now i will move to Raid 0 : )

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Hi there!
Thanks for the pics and effort.
I bought 3 Velociraptors with the IcePak and had 1 Western Digital 250GB that came with the Mac Pro.
I ve read this topic before buying them so i was quite sure that it will work.
Though after following your guide the SATA cables turned out to be to short. I could not get it in the middle where the raptor plugs are. One reason was that the Sata power cable interferred with the temperature sensor.
Well well.. so i thought of buying that chassis praised on barefeats to build the HDs in. No!
The thing to put off the philipps screws to have more room for the connectors is a great idea!
I finally put off the 3 Torx of the ice pack (!!!) and then turned the Raptor alone to the left. 1 screw is enough to hold it and finally that was the possibility to connect ALL Sata plugs WITH sleds on EVERY Port (you can use 1-4). I will write it in my blog these days at http://www.circledcube.com with some pics IF anyone is interested in pics.
Regards and that is moneysaving and fast. : )
My setup is now:

Bay 1 - WD 250 GB
Bay 2-4 Velociraptor standard retail package with icepack

Best regards

Mandala

P.S.: You need a calm hand and much patience to plug the connectors in.
.. and now i will move to Raid 0 : )

Sounds like an option if you have the steady hands.. I opted for the new MaxUpgrade heatsinks that replace the stock ones from WD... They now both slid into the bays without any need to remove anything of the MacPro.

It is indeed worth the effort to anyone looking for breakneck speed for a system or scratch drive to run these in raid 0.

digiegg

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
Whew... THANK GOD someone figured this out...
I got my WD Raptor 300 today and freaked out when it didn't fit.
I searched and landed here. haha. Should have known to come here first.
Anyways, I'm about to install this very soon following the tutorial. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Hopefully I won't have any problems with this install...

I'm installing Vista 64 bit on my computer hoping I don't get the choke ups that XP 64bit had.
Also my 4GB more of RAM is coming. =)
This will be awesome!!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
See....

This is the problem when people don't do the research first!! Firstly those drives come in two formats if you buy them with factory fitted heat-sinks... Alternatively you can buy them bare!

3.5-inch (backplane-ready)
- Fits in the MacPro without any Hassle...what so ever!!
wdfEnterpriseVR_HLFS.jpg

3.5-inch (SATA cable connect)
Suitable for PC system where you're connecting the drives via cables...
wdfDesktop_GLFS.jpg

2.5" Bare drive, used for custom heat sinks...
Be warned, they don't work in a laptop, simply because they draw too much current!!

wdfEnterpriseVR_BLFS.jpg

digiegg

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
ah damn it. wish i knew about that macpro friendly drive before....
this was the only thing on newegg so I just grabbed it.

INSTALLATION SUCCESSFUL!!!!
Those were the best instructions ever. It was very easy and clear.
Thank you so much!!
Everything is screwed back in and ready to go. Installing Vista now.
I'll let you know how my computer performs compared to the xp64bit i had along with the 7300 seagate hd.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
This is the problem when people don't do the research first!! Firstly those drives come in two formats if you buy them with factory fitted heat-sinks... Alternatively you can buy them bare!
And the problem with that is the cost difference between the versions. The SATA cable ready drives are available for US$200.00 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260) and the Backplane ready drives are are 329.00 (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD3000HLFS/). Though I have found the Backplane version for 309.00...

Why is there such a huge difference in price between the two??? I mean the only thing is the case/cooler and I can't find the naked dive for under $290.00. It would be less expensive to get sata cable ready and then get the adapters that are made by MaxUpgrades for $48.50 (http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/i...y&product_id=180&CFID=968976&CFTOKEN=18466287). Plus barefeats reports cooler running drives with the maxupgrades kit...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
And the problem with that is the cost difference between the versions. The SATA cable ready drives are available for US$200.00 (
image-3160356-10521304
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260) and the Backplane ready drives are are 329.00 (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD3000HLFS/). Though I have found the Backplane version for 309.00...

Why is there such a huge difference in price between the two??? I mean the only thing is the case/cooler and I can't find the naked dive for under $290.00. It would be less expensive to get sata cable ready and then get the adapters that are made by MaxUpgrades for $48.50 (http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/i...y&product_id=180&CFID=968976&CFTOKEN=18466287). Plus barefeats reports cooler running drives with the maxupgrades kit...

Paying for the convenience? Sooo... Why not buy the bare drives and the MaxPower sinks, wouldn't that be more cheaper?

digiegg

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
Okay so finished installing all the basic stuff.
The computer is so much faster now... I always thought it was the Harddrive that bottlenecked my computer and I think I was right.
Vista64bit works flawlessly on my MacPro.
AWESOME speed!

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Paying for the convenience? Sooo... Why not buy the bare drives and the MaxPower sinks, wouldn't that be more cheaper?

Actually from what I have been able to find, NO. It is cheapest (that I can find) to by the SATA cable connects ($200 from Newegg) and pull from them out of the coolers and drop in the MaxPower heat sinks. I have not found the bare drives for less then $292>

digiegg

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
the computer is still going strong. Handling applications very well and the speed is VERY nice.
Everyone should try this harddrive out. =)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Actually from what I have been able to find, NO. It is cheapest (that I can find) to by the SATA cable connects ($200 from Newegg) and pull from them out of the coolers and drop in the MaxPower heat sinks. I have not found the bare drives for less then $292>
This is what I've noticed as well.

Hmm... What kind of mischief can I get into with a few 4x 2.5" drive cages and stripped cable connect versions? :eek: :p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.