Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
You can't fix stupid whether you're on a Mac or a Windows machine.. /rantmodeOff.

Very true my man:D I run windows based systems only because I own a computer repair shop and the majority of the worlds computer user base is on the PC Platform.

But honestly, I don't have or ever get these problems that the majority of the PC population has or experiences because I am an educated user.

That is really the only thing that I do not like about APPLE is that they encourage people to remain ignorant instead of educating themselves on the the the "Tools" they use every day (the computer) which I feel is imperative that people do educate themselves and become proactive and security conscious.

I started out on APPLE back in 82 (not much of a choice back then) and I enjoyed Apple computers very much. Now however, it is apparent that APPLE only teaches and enforces ignorance and complacency to the majority of users by dumbing them down. Not a very responsible role to take for society as a whole if you ask me.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Hey, I thought MAC did not get viruses or malicious code attacks?

I knew that statement was not going to last very long once Apple increased in popularity and user base.. Silly MAC people:D

Oh get over yourself, it's an AD TROGEN. It won't take down your system like the usual virus on Windows. Stop with your witty insults, it makes you look foolish. "T".

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Ok, so...

How does one differentiate between "Press continue to install this stupid software you should know better not to install" and "Google has an update, press continue to install"?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Macs were never as secure as PCs but they were unpopular enough that nobody bothered to attempt to exploit them. Now it seems that every other day there's another massive security flaw found in Mac OS X.

You must've said that in your head hundreds of times to convince yourself that what you're saying might be true. ;)

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Say YES to everything unless it asks to continue.

In that case, press CONTINUE and enter bank account number, routing number and any pertinant passwords.

You forgot to mention to wait for the bank transfer of 10 million dollars from the late esteemed Reverend John Mguabiabugwulu's widow from Nigeria.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Security against stupidity does not exist. The most secure computer in the world is only as secure as the guy using it. I don't even like installing stuff from Adobe... and I sure as hell would never install some third-party plugin/app which I know nothing about.
I had adware on one computer the last couple weeks, pulldowncoupon or something. Finally figured out it was the Flash extension in Firefox. Maybe someday we'll reenable it. :mad:

Renzatic

Suspended
You must've said that in your head hundreds of times to convince yourself that what you're saying might be true. ;)

I'd say they're about equal these days, with maybe a slight advantage to Macs. Malware like this hit almost the exact same type of exploits on OSX as they do on Windows. It's not just you connect to the internet, and you've got a virus these days. They'll find a way to crawl through an opening in a 3rd party program.

And unless Apple goes 100% iOS style sandboxing, this will always be a weakness.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I knew that statement was not going to last very long once Apple increased in popularity and user base.. Silly MAC people:D

"MAC" instead of "Mac" indicates that you are just sarcastic and taking the piss out of any actual trolls, right?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Oh get over yourself, it's an AD TROGEN. It won't take down your system like the usual virus on Windows. Stop with your witty insults, it makes you look foolish. "T".

Brother Esau must not be good in math.

An OS virus or security issue every other day would make about 182 to 183 issues a year.

Don't think we had that much since 1984.

On the other hand he wants to fault Apple for people's stupidity.

Seems fair.

BTW: We are being tracked via any browser. I bought a few things after googling a product and now ads for these things show up when I visit MR.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Very true my man I run windows based systems only because I own a computer repair shop and the majority of the worlds computer user base is on the PC Platform.
Now however, it is apparent that APPLE only teaches and enforces ignorance and complacency to the majority of users by dumbing them down. Not a very responsible role to take for society as a whole if you ask me.
So, which is it? Are the majority on Mac or Win? I guess all the Win users that get fooled....uh, don't get fooled? :rolleyes:

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
So, which is it? Are the majority on Mac or Win? I guess all the Win users that get fooled....uh, don't get fooled? :rolleyes:

I don't know, you tell me. You're an educated MAC user obviously, oh that's right MAC does not educate their user base they just make it uber easy and as mindless and as un proactive as possible.

Silly me what was I thinking making a true statement like that? That is unless you wish to correct me by making a statement to the effect that it is a end users prerogative if he/she chooses to remain ignorant and well.... I guess I would just have to accept that as a fact and move on:p

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
It is not a virus. It is a program that the user installed. At best it is a trojan, but it is certainly not a virus. Do you know the difference between a virus and a trojan? http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2004/virus.asp

A trojan is just a program that someone has fooled you into installing. On OSX you would have to click OK to install and give it the permission to be installed. As others have said, there is no security for stupidity and that is how trojans get installed.

To the popularity issue. The number of installed OSX operating systems on computers has increased dramatically but the number of viruses and malware for OSX has not anywhere even closely matched the rate of expansion. This has proven that even though OSX is much more popular, it is much much less susceptible to virus infections than its Windows counterpart.

OSX is a very secure operating system, and it's only real vulnerability is the user.

----------

We need to bring back throwing people to Lions and Tigers and Bears! White Hats, Black Hats, Etc... It would be good solid entertainment to have a YouTube channel dedicated to watching endangered animals eat human beings.

Before you cry "unfair" there are plenty of places connected to the Internet that don't have laws ... Some don't have laws against hacking and stealing... Others don't have laws against feeding hackers to bears!!!

Sure, until someone decides your opinion is justification for throwing you to the lions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Yes.....It is the End User that is the weakest or strongest link on any platform!

My question is why does APPLE insist on promoting ignorance instead of education"?

Don't get me wrong here, it's not like the Windows O.S is the way to the light but the whole dumbing people down and making it as mindless as possible with MAC is just wrong and it does not promote the end user to take responsibility for him/her self and require them to educate themselves.

My point is this, a computer is a very powerful tool and a individual should be educated on using that tool correctly and responsibly..........end of story!

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Here is another way to look at trojans.

If I post a download link to my program that erases your hard drive when it is ran and I call it Hard Drive Eraser and I tell you it formats your hard drive, were good to go.

If I post a video link to my computer and clicking on it sends you to my hard drive eraser program, but I instead call the program Video Codec, we now have malware.

It's installed the same way you would download and install iTunes or some other program.

Trojans are generally more sophisticated than that and after YOU install them and YOU give them permissions, they will start downloading other applications and possibly sending out your data to the hackers.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
What security flaw are you referring to with this story?

He is probably referring to the user - the user (without common sense) is still the biggest security thread to any computer.

I am not worried yet ... I will get worried, once that type of software installs in the background without knowledge of me and without me actively confirming the installation.

Luckily most of my software comes from the AppStore so there are no random installers popping up while working --- this is one of the things I hate about ms-office, it randomly pops up the 'update/installer' without me initiating it - so some users might be used/trained to just hit 'install' when prompted for it - luckily AppStore takes care of this reflex since those random install dialogs are getting less and less.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
As with other trojans, this new Yontoo malware relies on tricking users into installing the package, which in this case masquerades as a movie trailer video plug-in, download accelerator, or other software a user might believe they want or need on their system.

So in other words it has nothing to do with OS or Safari but end users being morons. Pray tell why is it the responsibility of the OS vendor to stop people from doing stupid ****?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
The reason Macs are becoming so targeted is because windows PCs are now so locked down, and most windows users install AV software, but apple users have had a decade of having the idea that they don't need AV, and are somehow magically protected from viruses because they own a mac, but the Mac user base has grown big enough, and its low hanging fruit now for the criminals, that Macs are now the WORST place to be, Windows is Anti-Virused up to the gills, too few people use linux and its too fragmented to warrant investing in compromising, but macs, mac users are usually well off, and technically stupid compared to other users (Yes those of us here on the forum don't fall into that group, but how many here has a relative using a Mac that is using it solely because it was bought for them by someone who was fed up of fixing the PCs they used to own every other week ?)

Last edited by a moderator:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Yes.....It is the End User that is the weakest or strongest link on any platform!

My question is why does APPLE insist on promoting ignorance instead of education"?

Don't get me wrong here, it's not like the Windows O.S is the way to the light but the whole dumbing people down and making it as mindless as possible with MAC is just wrong and it does not promote the end user to take responsibility for him/her self and require them to educate themselves.

My point is this, a computer is a very powerful tool and a individual should be educated on using that tool correctly and responsibly..........end of story!

They are, they made the iPad for such users. It's a nice simple secure little system that doesn't require the technical knowledge or education that a desktop or laptop requires.

There has been a MASSIVE migration to these devices by users that really would rather not be bothered by the technical mumbo jumbo required of a desktop or laptop user.

Did you just come out of hibernation or something? ;) Judging by how you talk I think you should know this stuff.

People are even going so far as describing this migration as the end of the desktop PC era.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Macs were never as secure as PCs but they were unpopular enough that nobody bothered to attempt to exploit them. Now it seems that every other day there's another massive security flaw found in Mac OS X.

Wrong - MacOS 9 and before had tons of viruses, but they magically stopped with MacOS X. Sure, they will come at some point, but up to now, all the maleware on MacOS required the user installing it and typing in their password.

----------

Waiting for the reply that educates people on the differences between trojans, viruses and worms. :D

Personally, I am thankful that Xprotect is protecting my Mac. But given the growing popularity of the Mac I do believe Apple needs to be even more proactive when it comes to malware prevention.

MacOS has already the means for it - just enable GateKeeper so that your mac only allows installation of trusted software from the MacAppStore.

----------

Ok, so...

How does one differentiate between "Press continue to install this stupid software you should know better not to install" and "Google has an update, press continue to install"?

use only software from the MacAppStore and enable GateKeeper to trust only the MacAppStore - than you no longer have to worry about those random install dialogs since when you see them you know you have to click 'cancel'

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005

Yeah, those silly Media Access Control people. :rolleyes: :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.