Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
No I get it but what I mean is that whatever the intention is, someone in line for an iPad 2 should still get one. To apple a sale is still a sale, they're a company interested on profit. They don't and SHOULDN'T care about what the customer does with the product he just bought.

Here's a point that you are missing though. Demand in other countries will continue if the product has not been released yet. By not filling demand in a country where the product has been release, like the US, you are giving the consumer the opportunity to buy something else, whether it be another iPad type device or an accessory. For example, I bought an iPad 2 Smart Cover for an iPad that I didn't have yet. I haven't been able to get an iPad, so I returned the Smart Cover. Between now and then, I've located a different type of cover from Belkin that I'm going to buy. So because I couldn't get an Ipad 2, Apple lost a Smart Cover sale. Times that by a few thousand people, and they are losing revenue like stuck pig due to no defined scalper policy.

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Here's a point that you are missing though. Demand in other countries will continue if the product has not been released yet. By not filling demand in a country where the product has been release, like the US, you are giving the consumer the opportunity to buy something else, whether it be another iPad type device or an accessory. For example, I bought an iPad 2 Smart Cover for an iPad that I didn't have yet. I haven't been able to get an iPad, so I returned the Smart Cover. Between now and then, I've located a different type of cover from Belkin that I'm going to buy. So because I couldn't get an Ipad 2, Apple lost a Smart Cover sale. Times that by a few thousand people, and they are losing revenue like stuck pig due to no defined scalper policy.

That's been my argument. Before my iPad2 shipped (still stuck in Hong Kong tho) I was getting to the point of cancelling the order outright and going to the Xoom WiFi. My reasoning being that I have an iPad1 that serves me well and the Xoom has better hardware. Apple must have heard my rumblings and upped the shipping. It is dispatching 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

I'm also one who's passing on the smartcover. I want something that protects the whole thing. If I'd been able to purchase the device the first week it came out I would have walked out with a smartcover the same way I walked out with the Gen1 Apple case last year.

But let's hope the international launch does curb the scalper demand.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Apple is the only one to blame for this problem - not the scalpers. Apple should reimplement the CC checks. The scalpers see an opportunity and are making a profit from it. There is nothing illegal or immoral or unethical about this. So stop saying how it is immoral and unethical. It is not.

This is how businesses make money. Even Apple outsources their production to asian countries. They "buy" labor for really cheap in a different country and then sell you something here for a good profit. Same situation, only in reverse now. The scalpers are buying iPads here for cheap and selling them overseas for a massive profit.

There are people who value the iPad much higher than the retail price and are willing to pay the $$$$ to get one right now. If you can not pay up the $$$$, then follow these simple rules:

-Line up earlier
or
-Wait a month or two.

You are not going to die without an iPad.

zukernik

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Hong Kong
I really don't understand what's the problem with resellers. In a free market economy goods and services go where they produce the most value. I bought my first iPad from the mall featured in all these articles for double the retail price because I valued the iPad much more than the Americans that didn't manage to get theirs; if a product creates more value for me than for you why should you be the one getting it?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
So I am sorry to say this but for anyone in NYC, do not waste your time. This has been getting worse day by day and we are now at the point where it is simply impossible to get an iPad 2 from the Apple stores. Unless Apple does something I only see this getting worse until the gray market is saturated. It comes to show the power of masses...

The situation is very similar here in the San Francisco Bay Area. So here's a thought.... since Apple can't realistically do anything about the scalpers why can't we as consumers do something? When you get to the Apple Store at whatever early time, just ask the people in line who is not a scalper, then everyone who raises their hand simply move in front of the people who don't raise their hands. This way the folks who want an iPad for their personal use will be able to get one.

Regards,
Michael

coldpower27

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The situation is very similar here in the San Francisco Bay Area. So here's a thought.... since Apple can't realistically do anything about the scalpers why can't we as consumers do something? When you get to the Apple Store at whatever early time, just ask the people in line who is not a scalper, then everyone who raises their hand simply move in front of the people who don't raise their hands. This way the folks who want an iPad for their personal use will be able to get one.

Regards,
Michael

1. Why would someone who got in line earlier then you allow you to bud in front of them is my question...

2. What's to keep people from lying?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
1. Why would someone who got in line earlier then you allow you to bud in front of them is my question...

Folks are complaining about the scalpers buying up all the stock so legitimate customers of Apple can't get any iPads so I offered a suggestion. Nothing more.

2. What's to keep people from lying?

Nothing at all, of course. So this might not work for very long. Again, I'm offering a suggestion.

Regards,
Michael

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010

Regards,
Michael

Oh yeah. Cause the scalpers are overflowing with a sense of righteousness and are kind and benevolent enough to just move to the back of the line after waiting from before dawn.

I hope your idea is a joke, for your sake.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Oh yeah. Cause the scalpers are overflowing with a sense of righteousness and are kind and benevolent enough to just move to the back of the line after waiting from before dawn.

I hope your idea is a joke, for your sake.

I'm not entirely serious, no, simply because I don't really expect anyone to act on my suggestion. It has sparked some conversation though, hasn't it?

Think about it. The folks who are standing in that line, who work for the scalpers, are not the actual scalpers themselves. Faced with a bunch of legitimate customers what do you really think will happen if, say, 30 customers, suddenly decide to move en mass in front of the scalpers employees? Violence? Of course it won't.

The people standing in line have no reason get into an altercation, and the scalpers who hired them certainly won't want to draw too much attention to themselves by starting any violence. You act as if the scalpers and the people they hire to stand in line deserve any respect.

People have been complaining about the scalpers buying up all the iPads, so I offer a suggestion and get ridiculed for it. Interesting reaction.

Regards,
Michael

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Well the problem all along has been identifying the scalpers correctly, hasn't it?

You idea of simply asking them to put their hands up is just plain dumb. So there will be no 30 customers moving to the front of the line because everyone would put their hands up.

You act as if the scalpers and the people they hire to stand in line deserve any respect.

You act as if they don't. As I have already mentioned before, they are not doing anything illegal, immoral or unethical. They are buyers of iPads just like you and me. What they do after buying is none of your business.

Remember that the problem is not the scalpers fault. It is Apple's. They should ramp up supply or implement CC checks.

Your notion that they should not deserve any respect is just appalling.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
You are certainly free to allow the scalpers to keep taking advantage of you. In my opinion what they are doing is unethical, but that opinion is certainly subjective just as yours that they not doing anything unethical is.

I guess folks don't read Jonathan Swift anymore.

Regards,
Michael

UKbigman91

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
You are certainly free to allow the scalpers to keep taking advantage of you. In my opinion what they are doing is unethical, but that opinion is certainly subjective just as yours that they not doing anything unethical is.

I guess folks don't read Jonathan Swift anymore.

Regards,
Michael
Gulliver's Travels is overrated, but A Modest Proposal is classic satire. Not sure what that has to do with this discussion, though...

Mochaboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
how would you know? you said you're from cali...haha nyc scalper problem was probably the worst in comparison to all other states. i havent been down to the city this past week, are there still crazy lines full of asian scalpers?

Yes - city's still a mess...4:15 am at the UWS store this morning - 5 of them camped out which usually means 10 by the time the line forms when all their "friends waiting in the cars" show up. So that's 20 iPad 3g's gone before you can bat an eyelash.

Flagship's a bust because you have the buying team soaking up the first 50 or so, then you're competing with all the people who come to NY just to experience our sadistic art of line sitting.

I ended up going to the Palisades and sat in a nice comfortable mall till the store opened...

Mocha

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
Yes - city's still a mess...4:15 am at the UWS store this morning - 5 of them camped out which usually means 10 by the time the line forms when all their "friends waiting in the cars" show up. So that's 20 iPad 3g's gone before you can bat an eyelash.

Flagship's a bust because you have the buying team soaking up the first 50 or so, then you're competing with all the people who come to NY just to experience our sadistic art of line sitting.

I ended up going to the Palisades and sat in a nice comfortable mall till the store opened...

Mocha

yea i was at the long island apple stores earlier this week... they were a mess too since those apple stores don't receive as much stock as the city... scored a few at target and one at bestbuy.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Just an FYI to NYers seeking a black 32 wifi...plenty in stock at Tekserve. Just walk right in and buy one.

ernieUK

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
London UK
Flying to New York

Hey guys

I'm flying from UK to NY on Wednesday for 2 days.

In London - if you sign up at 9pm day before you gat a 2 minute window to register and stroll in next day for you iPad 2

Sorry if this has been answered before - but is this type of thing happening in the stores in New York next week?

What are my chances of getting an iPad in New York next Thursday - keen to make the most of the exchange rate

Thanks guys

Jon :)

hsnifferstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Just an FYI to NYers seeking a black 32 wifi...plenty in stock at Tekserve. Just walk right in and buy one.

Agreed. I checked Tekserve four times this week and every time they had over ten iPads in stock. I picked up a 64GB black wifi, my friend got the same, and my other friend got a 16GB black wifi. If they don't have the one you want, check Mike's Tech Shop a few blocks away. They have also had them in stock the few times I checked this week. FYI, they will tell you they are sold out over the phone, so you have to check in person. I think they have a one per person per week policy, so scalpers can't buy them out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.