Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
After picking up the ATV3 recently, I have converted several .mkv's to .mp4 (1080p). If the .mkv video file is H.264, I remux it using Subler. On my i7 iMac, it takes about 15 minutes. If the video isn't H.264, I convert it using HandBrake. It converts in real-time, that is, a 2-hour movie takes about 2 hours to convert. I use a setting similar to "High Profile" and the converted .mp4 file is about half the size of the .mkv file. Personally, I don't notice a drop in quality. Streams perfectly, too (loads in under 10 seconds, no dropped frames, hiccups, etc.). While I understand that the OP is a "newbie", he would be best served learning to use a program like HandBrake and/or Subler.
In what way would the OP be best served learning how to use HandBrake, which he doesn't need, or Subler, which does the exact same thing as iFlicks (for instance) but where you're required to add the files to the queue individually instead of just dragging them all into the GUI?

I use HandBrake, Subler, iSubtitle, iVI and iFlicks on a pretty much regular basis. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but in no way do I understand how on earth anyone could recommend HandBrake or Subler over iFlicks to the OP, having read his initial post. I mean, he even says he's a heavy downloader - and iFlicks incorporates a folder script that you can activate so that it converts and adds downloaded files in iTunes automatically...

You are correct, HB does not do video pass thru. aTV requires the h264 codec. If the source material uses the h264 codec then you can just change containers (no transcode). If the source material is VC-1, mpeg4, etc it needs to be transcoded to h264. What I have run in to is that most dvd's are mpeg4 and most, but not all, blu rays are h264 (the other chunk usually being VC-1). Please correct me if I am incorrect on that as I would love to just change containers on all my stuff instead of transcode.

For a few of the blu rays I have that are h264, I have done a container change to mp4. Because of the large file size and lack of header optimization, streaming to the aTV over wifi has been problematic. If you're using ethernet, that problem would be solved.
In your situation, HandBrake would be the best option, hands down. If you don't feel like trying out settings or feel like the presets aren't really what you're looking for, use MediaInfo and check out the advanced section on an illegal rip (there's a command prompt in HandBrake where you can just paste that whole line). Those groups know what they're doing, and I've found that's the best way of getting the best size/quality ratio :)

----------

um, well it does take 3 clicks.
1. Scan a folder full of source video (choose the parent folder containing them) They will all be scanned into the Title menu in the hb gui.

2. Go to File > Add All Titles To Queue ...

3. Hit start.

Dammit.

Never seen that option before. Where's the "I'm ashamed" smiley?

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have tried MKV2MP4 on Windows based on Gjwilly's suggestion. However, like Xmedia Recode, it won't seem to add soft subs. Perhaps this isn't actually possible to do with an MP4 file? Has anyone had success soft coding subtitles while repackaging an MKV as an MP4. I've been googling this and it seems maybe the only way to do it is to use Handbrake and re-encode the file?

I also tried MP4tools for Mac as suggested. It gives me several files (I'm assuming the video, audio, subtitles separated). Is it then necessary to repackage these files after?

Thanks again for your help!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Has anyone had success soft coding subtitles while repackaging an MKV as an MP4. I've been googling this and it seems maybe the only way to do it is to use Handbrake and re-encode the file?

If you get an srt file use subler .. no re encode necessary only a remux.

Busta999

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Use iVI or iFlicks, whichever one you find more interesting. I prefer iVI.

Both are excellent, but IVI will only re-encode the Mkv H.264 is necessary.

Ie much much quicker conversion if it doesn't have to do the H.264 (video)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
um, well it does take 3 clicks.
1. Scan a folder full of source video (choose the parent folder containing them) They will all be scanned into the Title menu in the hb gui.

2. Go to File > Add All Titles To Queue ...

3. Hit start.

I still don't see where this is.
When I go to File the only option is Exit.
:confused:

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I still don't see where this is.
When I go to File the only option is Exit.
:confused:

Not sure what you're looking at, but it isn't the Handbrake File menu ...

i-LdwcchF-L.jpg

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have a really Dumb question. Seriously its really dumb....

ummm I have imported an MP4 into Subler (didn't play properly in itunes) so I was going to let Subler do its magic so it plays.

Thing is......I don't know how to start it "remuxing" or what ever its called??? :eek:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have a really Dumb question. Seriously its really dumb....

ummm I have imported an MP4 into Subler (didn't play properly in itunes) so I was going to let Subler do its magic so it plays.

Thing is......I don't know how to start it "remuxing" or what ever its called??? :eek:

Just need to "Save" or "Save As" the file.

sphinx99

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
It's good to see this thread; I'm also new to this and having some of the same issues as others.

I've been using xmedia recode and cannot get it to migrate/support soft subtitles in the mp4 format. Very frustrating because otherwise it does OK.

The other challenge I have is with audio. In some cases I have 5.1 audio tracks. It seems like the ATV3 can handle 5.1 audio without issues, but the iPad pretty much requires stereo AAC only. Ideally I'd have some automated way to convert the primary 5.1 AC3 track into a second 2.0 AAC track, and (in theory?) have a single file in iTunes that plays to both devices, but I do not see an easy way to do this. All in all, quite frustrating so far... very manual.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble!

I've tried all the programs I could find and haven't found any that can repackage an .mkv with soft subs (PGS subs). The closest I've come is using Xmedia Recode and then using MKVMERGE to merge the new .mp4 with the orignal .mkv but adding the sub back in. This works but the file is very choppy (to the point that you really can't watch it).

I remember when I got the original Apple TV, I spent weeks converting my DVDs so they could be played. Eventually I gave up and got a little Acer Revo to use as an HTPC with XBMC. Now I've done the exact same thing with the ATV2 only to go back to my original Acer. I really prefer the ATV interface and would like to just use it. But for some reason, playing my .mkvs with subtitles is beyond me! (.mkvs that I've made of things I legally own - ironically, anything I've downloaded plays like a charm!)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble!

I've tried all the programs I could find and haven't found any that can repackage an .mkv with soft subs (PGS subs). The closest I've come is using Xmedia Recode and then using MKVMERGE to merge the new .mp4 with the orignal .mkv but adding the sub back in. This works but the file is very choppy (to the point that you really can't watch it).

I remember when I got the original Apple TV, I spent weeks converting my DVDs so they could be played. Eventually I gave up and got a little Acer Revo to use as an HTPC with XBMC. Now I've done the exact same thing with the ATV2 only to go back to my original Acer. I really prefer the ATV interface and would like to just use it. But for some reason, playing my .mkvs with subtitles is beyond me! (.mkvs that I've made of things I legally own - ironically, anything I've downloaded plays like a charm!)

I also had problems getting subtitles to work on my own rips, until I realized the subs I was getting were .sub, and not .srt. Downloading subtitles in .srt format and then adding them in Subler did the trick. (I don't know how to extract .srt subtitles from a DVD, never tried it.)

My workflow: Rip DVD in RipIt > convert it to .mp4 in HandBrake > download subtitles from the net > add the subtitles in Subler > add metadata in iVI

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I also had problems getting subtitles to work on my own rips, until I realized the subs I was getting were .sub, and not .srt. Downloading subtitles in .srt format and then adding them in Subler did the trick. (I don't know how to extract .srt subtitles from a DVD, never tried it.)

My workflow: Rip DVD in RipIt > convert it to .mp4 in HandBrake > download subtitles from the net > add the subtitles in Subler > add metadata in iVI

Just an FYI, Subler does have the ability to create an srt file from a vobsub track. Just started playing around with it a bit yesterday and I really can't say how good the OCR is, but it is there if you want to try it.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Just an FYI, Subler does have the ability to create an srt file from a vobsub track. Just started playing around with it a bit yesterday and I really can't say how good the OCR is, but it is there if you want to try it.

Sounds interesting. How? :) I've got a movie that has .sub subtitles in it, how would I go forward from here?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Sounds interesting. How? :) I've got a movie that has .sub subtitles in it, how would I go forward from here?

You 1) open a "new" window, 2) "import" file, 3) Select the subtitle track, 4) "save" to your chosen location. After that you will have an mp4 that you can then open in Subler and then "export" the srt track for editing. The new, import, save sequence is what triggers the OCR aspect of Subler to become active. So you have to do it that way. After that, you're on your own. I ran out of time last night trying to figure out how to view/edit the srt. But I do know that you can view it using Text Edit. Not sure that is the best way to view/edit it though. Let me know if you make progress in with doing this as I would like to know more about it too.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
You 1) open a "new" window, 2) "import" file, 3) Select the subtitle track, 4) "save" to your chosen location. After that you will have an mp4 that you can then open in Subler and then "export" the srt track for editing. The new, import, save sequence is what triggers the OCR aspect of Subler to become active. So you have to do it that way. After that, you're on your own. I ran out of time last night trying to figure out how to view/edit the srt. But I do know that you can view it using Text Edit. Not sure that is the best way to view/edit it though. Let me know if you make progress in with doing this as I would like to know more about it too.

Would you look at that. Thanks a lot! I've really only used Subs Factory for editing subtitles, wouldn't know if it's better or worse than any other app.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Would you look at that. Thanks a lot! I've really only used Subs Factory for editing subtitles, wouldn't know if it's better or worse than any other app.

Did you get it to work? I just tried "Salt" which has 3 subtitle tracks. It also has forced subs, but I am not sure where they reside. If I look at the file in VLC and I try each of the 3 subtitle tracks, none of them are the forced subtitle. Track 1 is a full subtitle track. The other 2 tracks don't show anything. This makes me believe that the forced subs are part of track one and "turn on/off" by being flagged.

Anyway, I tried creating the srt's for all 3 tracks using Subler and the 1 track with full subtitles looks pretty good, but the other 2 are just full of garbage. Used Jubler to view the srt's. Thanks DynaFlash!!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Did you get it to work? I just tried "Salt" which has 3 subtitle tracks. It also has forced subs, but I am not sure where they reside. If I look at the file in VLC and I try each of the 3 subtitle tracks, none of them are the forced subtitle. Track 1 is a full subtitle track. The other 2 tracks don't show anything. This makes me believe that the forced subs are part of track one and "turn on/off" by being flagged.

Anyway, I tried creating the srt's for all 3 tracks using Subler and the 1 track with full subtitles looks pretty good, but the other 2 are just full of garbage. Used Jubler to view the srt's. Thanks DynaFlash!!

Yup. Grabbed one of my rips, did it the way you described, and added them into the movie again. Text in italic got completely messed up, but the normal text was absolutely perfect. And since it's from the original DVD, I assumed there would be no need to re-sync it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.