Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
what's the best newsgroup reader for osx? i'm looking for one that can download mp3s easily.

thanks!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
mactastic said:
Isn't the new version of Safari going to have a newsgroup reader built in? I wonder how it will compare...
Duff-Man says....I think you are confusing RSS newsfeeds with Usenet....afaik, Safari is not adding a usenet newsreader. Usenet is not the function of a browser, but is sometimes rolled into a mail application (like MS Entourage, or Mozilla's mail bundle)....oh yeah!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
übergeek said:

I like Unison, but there are a few things I believe are lacking.

For instance, if I want to search for all topics I've posted to, I enter my name in the search field and it highlights my posts. But there's no easy way (that I can see) of seeing the other messages in that thread. You have to make a note of the name, then clear the search field, then search for that topic by name.

Also, (and I haven't used it in a while, so I could be mistaken) but I don't think there's any filters/rules functionality in Unison either.

MTNewswatcher is the best I've used by far, but again I haven't seen it in a while.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....I think you are confusing RSS newsfeeds with Usenet....afaik, Safari is not adding a usenet newsreader. Usenet is not the function of a browser, but is sometimes rolled into a mail application (like MS Entourage, or Mozilla's mail bundle)....oh yeah!

Ahh I see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.