Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Color should the Next MacBook Pro Retina Be?

• Total voters

Thedweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
I think Apple should add more variety in their Macs the way they've started to with the iPhones. I just saw this MBPR 13 online, there's better shots on their fb., but now I definitely think Apple should be pushed to make their next MBPR series in black or match their iPhone 5s color options. How do you think the next gen MacBook Pros should look?

42049608d8524fac6ec2d8f2e4021518.jpg

Attachments

• REt2.jpg
    REt2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 11,861
Last edited:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I used to really like the Black Macbooks.

I doubt they will make a black anodised version, the decalgirl black skins look pretty good on the silver one anyway.

Jack Sun

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Poll question is wrong, implies only one color choice. I think most would agree they should keep the standard silver but maybe ADD black or others. A better question would be: "What color rMBP would you most likely buy if available?"

Personally I'd go with black in a heartbeat. That black rMBP in the pic is beautiful. Imagine it in lowlight with the keyboard lighting and maybe a cool black OSX theme. No question about it...

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I wouldn't want a black notebook since it'll show every spec of dust and dirt and fingerprints.
A darker, (space grey?), machine would really look nice, and I'd want to scratch up the edges to give it a battle-worn look with a nice patina.
Of course, I'd never do that in reality since I rely on resale values, but it would look cool.
Macs are presently anodized the exact same color as raw aluminum so that when they get scratched, you can't see it. Dust doesn't show up, the matte finish hides finger prints, etc. It's all very calculated to keep the machine very lust-worthy even after years of use.

Sicutz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
A MacBook Pro Retina is a premium product, so I want premium quality.

The black MacBook don´t look premium, it looks like a 400 bucks Acer or something like that.

But if Apple create a perfect black MacBook, I think I want to buy it.

(Voted for black)

Thedweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
@Sicutz I think black is premium. Usually when something is offered with a black alternative the black is usually the premium model. I'm not sure what you mean by perfect black though? The first shot was blurry so I snagged more shots from their facebook. What about a Gun Metal Black? or even better a polished Black?

@MontyMitch you're right the silver does give it that protection and makes small imperfections go under the radar. The ano is supposed to be scratch resistant I think we all saw what happened with the Black iPhone 5 when it first came out SMH. The patina finish sounds slick though. A brushed finished my look nice too.

@GavMack I really think they'll come out with a black model of a rMBP system at some point. I remember back in 05 they came out with the black MacBook Classic, they charged like $500 more but it was sick and I saw a lot of them. And the fact that they've started offering different colors with the phones leads me to believe Apple is looking down that direction. They always test out what they're going to do with other systems before fully incorporating it. I don't think they'll ever go down the multi color route but they've done black in the past and I see them doing it again.

Attachments

• ret4.jpg
    ret4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 7,180
  • Ret1.jpg
    Ret1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,133

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Call me cray, but I have always liked red anodized aluminum... I was hoping Apple would consider a Product Red iPhone or iPod Touch with the anodized aluminum.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
apple probably won't bother because any little scratch would have fanboys returning their laptops. too $$$

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I don't like the black because it gets scratched.

I would prefer the same color but in the design of the iPhone 5s White.

I think the iPad pro would be great within the iPhone format

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
A MacBook Pro Retina is a premium product, so I want premium quality.

The black MacBook don´t look premium, it looks like a 400 bucks Acer or something like that.

But if Apple create a perfect black MacBook, I think I want to buy it.

(Voted for black)

I don't quite understand you there. Do you like black MacBook or not?

----------

gold plating actually has practical benefits (cost aside)

i think this is the real reason you would get it gold plated

Yeah, right, like making it a >5kg laptop :p

Thedweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
I'm pretty sure it would just be the same aluminum body but just plated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.