Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CandyCane23049

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2009
I won't be getting the new phone because I'm happy with my 4s and it just doesn't make sense for me to upgrade but is it any regular people on here like me that don't know all the internal things and just like the phone to like it?:p

I don't care about none of things nor do I really understand all I know is that I like the iphone and hopefully will stay in the IOS family for years to come.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well, that's the main problem. Battery tech hasn't been progressing much, and so long as Apple keeps to that iphone form factor, they do not have the luxury of using larger batteries (unlike Samsung who is able to circumvent that limitation by using larger phones). They can only "cheat" by skimping on other areas like a smaller dock connector or a nano-sim slot, but even that only lets you extend batt life by so much.

Can't really say it's Apple's fault here.

grey02

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Asia
My girlfriends 4S eats the battery compared to my 4, it would suck if the iPhone 5's battery can't even compare to either of them AND has 4G on top of it. It'd be disappointing if the phone can't even last a full day without needing to be charged =/

Which phone can last a day when you are on the net all the time.

----------

I wrote about this on my blog a little while ago and in general about how disappointing the new design is. If you feel like reading:

http://www.x10n.com/blog/2012/8/3/why-i-wont-be-buying-the-new-iphone-5-its-not-really-new.html

http://www.x10n.com/blog/2012/8/4/why-you-shouldnt-buy-the-iphone-5-its-ugly.html

Also this sentence from the article doesn't make sense: "If this part leak is to believed, Apple hasn't been able to the battery capacity much on the new iPhone. "

What are you looking for in the design? Does it mean the design must change all the time?

What Apple is doing is creating a unique look for their phone without having theirs looking like a barista phone which design must be new all the time.

One look at an iPhone will tell you it is an iPhone.

Btw it is what inside that makes the difference not the design like other fanatic phones which are all different from each other but no linking to a unique design which tells its linkage to a brand.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
What are you looking for in the design? Does it mean the design must change all the time?

What Apple is doing is creating a unique look for their phone without having theirs looking like a barista phone which design must be new all the time.

Btw it is what inside that makes the difference not the design like other fanatic phones which are all different from each other but no linking to a unique design which tells its linkage to a brand.

Look at car brands. There are a lot of cars that brands will create that are extremely beautiful and sell extremely well. But that doesn't stop them from designing something better.

This design for the iPhone has run it's course just as the old design for the 3G before it. When the 4 came out, it looked unmistakably like an iPhone but it was a fresh design. I'm hoping Apple freshen's up the design for the 5 and doesn't decide to stick with the same stock design for 3 years running.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Power savings will come from not only an optomized LTE chipset, but also from an IGZO display

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
My girlfriends 4S eats the battery compared to my 4, it would suck if the iPhone 5's battery can't even compare to either of them AND has 4G on top of it. It'd be disappointing if the phone can't even last a full day without needing to be charged =/

Are you 2 standing next to each other duplicating each others usage in the exact same reception area during the entire day? If not, you can't compare the 2.

My iPhone 4s battery was great, until I changed jobs. Now it sucks. But is is the iPhones fault? NOPE! It's AT&T's because the data connection in my new job location sucks!!!

(I blame AT&T because they report 3-4 bars at all times w/ 4G displayed, yet the data is slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter (yes, I just looked that up...LOL) The slow data causes the phone to work really hard trying to download anything I connect to...the phone even heats up).

----------

Power savings will come from not only an optomized LTE chipset, but also from an IGZO display

I think several people have contested the fact that an IGZO display will be used. I honestly don't know myself, just pointing that out.

----------

Look at car brands. There are a lot of cars that brands will create that are extremely beautiful and sell extremely well. But that doesn't stop them from designing something better..

I'm glad you brought up car "brands" (I think you mean models). How long do you think they wait before making major body style changes? Let's use the BMW 3 Series as an example. The E90 was in poduction from 2006-2011. That's 6 years with only minor styling tweaks.

How long has the iPhone 4 body been around now??? :rolleyes:

----------

Motorola Razr Maxx is the best among smartphones regarding battery life.

True statement. Also true, they crippled the display as well as other features to get that battery life.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I think several people have contested the fact that an IGZO display will be used. I honestly don't know myself, just pointing that out.
The tech wasn't ready for the iPad 3, but I think it is for the iPhone 5. It's a much smaller display, and it's been about six months since the iPad 3 was released so any problems should have been worked out.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Which phone can last a day when you are on the net all the time.

----------

all the time dosent equal once every three new versions (at least)

they had a rather unique look in the first version. modified slightly in the 3g and 3gs and then the everlasting version (which i btw find very attractive). so they kinda set there own standard.

i never thought i would find the day when someone on an apple forum would say that the exterior design didnt matter that much.

maybe the tv is their new pet product and taking up all their resources. then they obviously dont have time to update desktops, software, phone and ipad designs and certainly not the look of ios.

they did though manage to make the appletv os ugly.

----------

those were released by apple computers this is a forum for apple the mobile device company.

I know right.. they should take out the "mac" out of "mac rumors" they should call it "ios rumors", "iphone rumors", or just "apple mobiles rumors" if this is mac rumors where are the macs that are being rumored, none thats right.

well i meant that apple itself has become a mobile device company and therefore every website or forum that focuses on them is focused on those devices.

but you bring up a good point. maybe the owners and admins here will have no other option than to change the name (people will be like what is a mac). probably not until apple has completely given up on releasing desktop software (that serves another purpose than to sync with ios) and its desktop update cycle is a new one every 3 years or so

----------

If you believe any of what you stated, not only do you need help, but you're beyond it.

either you can explain yourself like an adult or you are gonna be reported

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
This battery will suck one LTE.

No way is this quad core with LTE.

This will be dual core 1ghz with 3G.

Not even 32nm will help this phone live a whole day on heavy to moderate use.

the 4S has rubbish battery when new. After 9 months of use its terrible.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
This battery will suck one LTE.

No way is this quad core with LTE.

This will be dual core 1ghz with 3G.

Not even 32nm will help this phone live a whole day on heavy to moderate use.

the 4S has rubbish battery when new. After 9 months of use its terrible.

This will definitely be LTE.

It *might* be quad core, whether it is or not will probably depend more upon whether it will make a real difference in performance, and/or whether or not it will still feature A9 cores.

My 4S battery is just as good as it was when new, which is better than most similarly featured smartphones, and actually better since that rapid battery drain bug seems to be squashed.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010

I think the technology is ready, and if we are to believe this report of the battery size, the total equation dictates it unless for the first time Apple will compromise its total design and go with dramatically reduced battery life. this is a far more highly unlikely an alternative.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Relax folks...this is Apple. We know the pattern. Create revolutionary products.Own the market and then iterate with small annual improvements keeping you locked into the ecosystem.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This will definitely be LTE.

It *might* be quad core, whether it is or not will probably depend more upon whether it will make a real difference in performance, and/or whether or not it will still feature A9 cores.

My 4S battery is just as good as it was when new, which is better than most similarly featured smartphones, and actually better since that rapid battery drain bug seems to be squashed.

My 4S gets pretty outstanding battery life, always has, the same with the wife's 4.

Saturday we were at the beach, streaming music via BT to a speaker setup, downloading some new music, shot several dozen pics and some video. I could easily have used the phone into the evening on the same charge from that morning.

(Side note: the 3D panorama app that was free last week is pretty cool, shot some neat ones at the beach... :) )

guruimer

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Syncing my battery life

is it possible to sync my battery life with another iphone?

Thanks in advance.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Not if they try using IGZO tech which will save them throwing a massive battery in there = saved space.

And 13" MBPs have 2 fans I believe...

Except there is absolutely no evidence to support them using IGZO tech.

And since they haven't changed the design on the 13" MBP, its only one fan, which poses a major problem for a discrete GPU:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Teardown/814/1

What source are you pulling this from? I've been wondering this ever sense the New iPad shipped. The reason for the massive increase in GPU performance on the iPad was because they are pushing around an insane number of pixels. THIS WILL NOT BE THE CASE WITH THE NEW IPHONE. So it makes much more sense that they would design an A6 or an A5Y that delivered a more balanced CPU GPU upgrade. I have no proof of this but I can find no evidence suggesting that they intend to put A5X chips into this new phone ether.

Looking back on past rumors, an A6 will include a quad-core CPU. And looking back on history, the CPU in the iPhone always makes its first debut in the iPad. There will be no CPU upgrade for the next iPhone, only a GPU upgrade.

And you can find only proof that the A5X will be in the next iPhone. It is called history. Look it up before you think someone has no proof when in reality you are the one with nothing to back up a single word you are saying.

GPUs are not just about screen size. Especially if a fully OpenCL compliant GPU ends up in the next chip.
So tell me, what evidence do you have to support your theory that the A5X won't be in the next iPhone? None? Ok.

it is your usage of the term "underclocked" that is ignorant and objectionable.
A CPU being clocked a 1GHz and then the same CPU going into another device at a slower clock speed is just one example that can be defined as "underclocking." How are you missing such a simple concept?

The chip runs at the design frequency, what that frequency is relative to another device isn't relevant.
Then one could make the argument that using the term "underclocked" is completely relative to the original clock speed. In which case, the iPad CPUs being at 1GHz and the ones being in the iPhone are at 800MHz, that would be an underclock. Still confused?

it isn't safe to use the term underclocked here at all. The A5X could very well run at 1.2 or 1.4 GHz but that doesn't mean it is underclocked in the iPad.
Not once have I said it was underclocked in the iPad, this whole discussion has been revolving around the iPhone. Maybe pay attention more next time?

If the A5X was 1.2 in the iPad and 1 in the iPhone, it would be considered underclocked in the iPhone.

it is more of a question of what makes sense from an engineering standpoint at Apple. Do you use the next node shrink for more CPU cores, GPU resources or more IP. It might make more sense for Apple to put the equivalent of Gobi in the next SoC or plan for it down the road.
All Apple cares about is good battery life and acceptable performance. And since underlocking the CPU in the iPhone achieves their goals, they are going to continue to do it.

The point here is that the handheld environment is vastly different than the desktop or even laptop environment. Designers and engineers benefit far more from high integration in these devices. In fact one could say that the iPhone is impossible without the SoC technology we have today.

Eventually there will be a payoff in a split. Putting as much of iPhone as possible on a single chip can have big playoffs. At the same time iPad is crying out for much better performance. So why wouldn't they split.

Whom here is confused? I just think you can't follow what is being said.
Who is the one who cannot follow simple definitions? Oh yes, you.

Yeah sure, we all believe that now.
Never said I wanted other people to believe it. It was just a theory. A guess on a rumor sites. Apparently making guesses on a website specifically for rumors is a bad thing now. That sure makes sense.

I fully expect Apple to implement quad core CPUs sometime in the future but I'm not convinced it will happen to the next iPhone. In fact I'm strongly in the camp that says it won't. Why? Because they can double CPU performance by upping the clock rate and implementing other improvements that combined with a process shrink would leave a similar power profile.
Apple will add more cores WAY before increasing clock speed. The only reason for that is heat. iPhones have overheated in the past and they want to keep it cool with high battery life. Evidence only exists to support the theory that Apple will add cores. Otherwise the A5 would be single core with a higher clock speed, but it wasn't. Same clock speed. Additional core.

Last edited:

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I'm glad you brought up car "brands" (I think you mean models). How long do you think they wait before making major body style changes? Let's use the BMW 3 Series as an example. The E90 was in poduction from 2006-2011. That's 6 years with only minor styling tweaks.

How long has the iPhone 4 body been around now??? :rolleyes:

It's actually 3 years with a mid-cycle refresh in the middle (the equivalent of the iPhone S models. The point of my post is that perfection can be worked on and improved. Taking the 3 series as an example, the E90 is the ideal entry luxury model, but BMW still brought out a new one with changes to keep the style fresh and buyers interested. If this wasn't the case, we'd still be driving 1-gen BMW's.

And the car market turnover is different than the smartphone market. But my point still stands.

----------

Except there is absolutely no evidence to support them using IGZO tech.

And since they haven't changed the design on the 13" MBP, its only one fan, which poses a major problem for a discrete GPU:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Teardown/814/1

That doesn't mean it's not an option. With heat and battery life being a limiting factor, it's not unreasonable that Apple will look for ways to reduce how much energy the screen uses.

And yeah, someone else showed that to me. Thanks though!

JLL

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've seen it mentioned that the new 3D maps thing will work for London, Manchester and Birmingham in the UK, that's not that much coverage. I should have been more specific - I'm sure the basic maps will work most places.

There are not much coverage in the US either regarding 3D maps. It's in beta and cities have been added since beta 1.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
You responded... 7 months later. Sounds like you care more than you'd like to admit.

I just got the "quote notification."

Again, not nerdy enough to check this forum everyday...

But I did end up getting a 5 anyway... I'm a creature of habit and I own too many othe apple devices...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.