Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digglesworth

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
My only complaint with my Nexus 5 is the battery. I am running a custom kernel and I have tweaked the voltages. As long as I'm not doing a gaming marathon my phone lasts all day. I can get it to almost match what my iPhone 5 was getting. I love this phone. I think the only phone I would even consider close to it is the Moto X.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I don't like how with Google Now if I am in my car using navigation, I can't say "Okay Google, cancel navigation" to end it. It just does a Google search for "cancel navigation."

I also tried saying play a certain song by a certain Artist that I had on Google Music and it just did a Google search for it. It did the search for the correct song name and Artist name, so it definitely understood me.

My biggest issues are probably with Google Now and it's inconsistencies. Visual problems like the 3 images posted earlier are definitely problems that should be fixed, but functionality problems take priority in my book.

Agree.

Google Now is awesome but it does require some precision speech input! Sure it will improve but it's a bit silly sometimes and needs to be more natural.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think it is a bit ridiculous to argue that Google ships "beta" projects as opposed to Apple never allowing whatever-things-you're-pointing-out into an iOS version when Apple issued a public apology for a core feature of iOS6 (Maps) and then went on to openly and repeatedly deride the skeuomorphism of iOS6 in their iOS7 intro (there are, of course, many other examples of iOS issues). Apple makes huge mistakes... and then corrects them (the Maps app in iOS7 is awesome, the skeuomorphism is thankfully gone, etc.). Google makes similar mistakes - arguably not of the Maps caliber, though - and corrects them (or many of them... the Camera app remains pathetic).

However, I'd argue that, overall, the two OSs are roughly on feature parity now; each has their plusses and minuses, but overall, you can do the same things on each. I'd further argue that a jailbroken iPhone is perhaps superior to an Android device, in that many of the perks of freedom that Android provides are then available under iOS.

I've developed iOS apps and Android apps for my company (nothing major), and there are reasons to favor one or the other at a given time; both are good development environments. So, since I've used both and developed on both, I know them both and am not going to bash either (as a whole - there are certainly parts of each I don't like).

That said, iOS7 was less significant than it appears (it's more like changing a CSS section of a web page than rewriting the backend server code), and KitKat has some deep changes in it (ART is one such thing). iOS7 might or might not overall be a greater change - I've not spent a lot of time dabbling with the API changes - but it's of similar scope overall, just biased toward the visual.

One thing that impresses me about Google vs Apple, though, is that iOS is a core part of the Apple business model. It is fundamentally vital to their business. Android... well, Android is just a neat little project for Google. Sure, they're moving more into that space, but it's not remotely central to their business. It's certainly becoming more important, and it's a very strategic part, but... I get the feeling that iOS has vastly more resources available to its development than does Android, and so I tend to favor Android, simply because it's so competitive even though it is at a disadvantage.

I'm likely going to get a retina mini. It's just too cool. I own a number of Android devices. My entire family aside from myself uses iPhones. I'm not interested in arguing why one sucks because the other does some task better.

Anyway, back on topic:

I continue to hate the Camera app. It is inexcusable, in my opinion, that it has remained so bad across so many releases.

I also hate having to manually scroll across home pages and the Applications pages instead of just scrolling along the bottom to rapidly get where I am.

Other than that, I'm pretty damned fond of KitKat.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Noone tried to "shift the blame to Apple".

The release version of iOS 7 had plenty of little flaws.

Maybe you don't get it. This is a thread to talk about Android 4.4 likes/dislikes. Not for you to turn this into a "Oh how dare you say something bad about my precious Google when Apple did blah blah blah."

Just let someone point out issues with Android and move on. Stop taking it so personal.

technology&stuf

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Maybe you don't get it. This is a thread to talk about Android 4.4 likes/dislikes. Not for you to turn this into a "Oh how dare you say something bad about my precious Google when Apple did blah blah blah."

Just let someone point out issues with Android and move on. Stop taking it so personal.

Don't bother. I haven't been around here long. But I've been around here long enough to notice a simple pattern. Say something slightly negative about Android and everyone will jump on you and nit pick every word you say. Simply trying to point out what you consider an issue with Android isn't really an option around here. Either agree with what everyone else says or get into a pointless debate where people only show their stubbornness. Heck, someone will probably try and get into a debate with me over trying to express my opinions and observations. That is just the way this section of MR works.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
iOS7 and calendar design are subjective. The things I brought up are completely objective. I also find it funny that constantly when around Android users, if you point out something wrong with Android, they ignore it and try and shift blame to Apple. Never fails.

I think that could've been avoided if you stated your observation, instead of comparing it to a competitor.

----------

Maybe you don't know what praise means...?

Now you're just creating points to argue your cause. I'm sure you understand the point he was trying to make. :cool:

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
The only point that was made is that the most up-voted post in this thread has now been confirmed.

Why do you talk in circles instead of addressing the actual context of the post as it was intended (or maybe that is in fact how you are interpreting it :eek:) ?

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Why do you talk in circles instead of addressing the actual context of the post as it was intended (or maybe that is in fact how you are interpreting it :eek:) ?

Addressing the context of the post? You mean how on an Android like/dislike thread where someone posts issues with the latest version of Android people only talk about iOS? :eek:

You really are confirming the most up-voted post in this thread. Just move on man.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
There is no uninstall option for apps in the launcher. If you want to move the link to the app in the launcher just long press the app and the " X remove" option will show at the top of the page.

Sorry I meant how do I uninstall apps from the gel? Nexus 7 here sideloaded.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Addressing the context of the post? You mean how on an Android like/dislike thread where someone posts issues with the latest version of Android people only talk about iOS? :eek:

You really are confirming the most up-voted post in this thread. Just move on man.

Heh, as I mentioned previously, If you'd just stated your observation, which was valid, without drawing a comparison the thread would not be where it is now.

Just because you rationalize something doesn't make it so.

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I'm definitely not diggin the haptic feedback on the N5. It rattles like mad and almost sounds broken. I've read in other forums that it's actually the camera that rattles.

I'm tempted to turn off haptic feedback but I know that I would miss it.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I'm definitely not diggin the haptic feedback on the N5. It rattles like mad and almost sounds broken. I've read in other forums that it's actually the camera that rattles.

I'm tempted to turn off haptic feedback but I know that I would miss it.

the vibration motor on my n5 is really weak, and the replacement google sent me is stronger but has a very loud (and annoying) chirping sound with every key press. worse still, the replacement nexus also has a significantly yellow display and the volume buttons are a little mushy for me. I'll be keeping the original nexus as I don't want to go through several devices looking for just the right model.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Heh, as I mentioned previously, If you'd just stated your observation, which was valid, without drawing a comparison the thread would not be where it is now.

Just because you rationalize something doesn't make it so.

You continually prove the point of the most up-voted post on this thread. Congratulations.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Maybe I got a high quality Nexus 5 off the assembly line, cause I gotta say, I am really impressed. I am not big into photography, so for me the camera is fine. As long as I can take pictures and they come out clear, that's all I really care about.
I too am very pleased. In fact after I received the first Nexus 5 and finding it much to my liking I bought a second one for my wife. It too is very well made, fit and finish is excellent. The camera is more than acceptable, especially since I always carry and prefer a dedicated camera

Best of all it's a Nexus. A minimalist, I'm very happy with it's clean smooth design. Free of bloatware and featuring a very nice ergonomic layout, it's everything I wanted. Perfect? No, but no smartphone is.

This Nexus 5 is ideal for my day to day workflow. A delight to use, it's a terrific phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.