Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
What are you talking about, Google give great customer service when it comes too replacing phones.
It's no different than other OEMs, the need to send things back yourself. Plus there's issue of international coverage.

Apple's warranty on the other hand is international. And with the presence of physical Apple stores around the world, it is much easier to get support. Heck I bought my iPhone in the US and received service in Singapore and Japan without much fuss. Can't do that with my Android phones (even local Sony and Samsung service centers refuse service for their phones from other countries).

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
It's no different than other OEMs, the need to send things back yourself. Plus there's issue of international coverage.

Apple's warranty on the other hand is international. And with the presence of physical Apple stores around the world, it is much easier to get support. Heck I bought my iPhone in the US and received service in Singapore and Japan without much fuss. Can't do that with my Android phones (even local Sony and Samsung service centers refuse service for their phones from other countries).

Why are you comparing Google to Apple because I didn't, Apple has the best customer service bar none because of the simple fact they have brick and mortar stores I wasn't disputing that. I was disputing the fact that you basically said that Google have no customer service regarding their devices which is simply rubbish they switch out devices with no proding what so ever even near the end of a warranty period which most OEM's won't even do a few weeks after purchase as they insist you send the phone too a service centre for repair.

And the international warranty is a none issue for 99% of people.

Reactions: khha4113

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Why are you comparing Google to Apple because I didn't, Apple has the best customer service bar none because of the simple fact they have brick and mortar stores I wasn't disputing that. I was disputing the fact that you basically said that Google have no customer service regarding their devices which is simply rubbish they switch out devices with no proding what so ever even near the end of a warranty period which most OEM's won't even do a few weeks after purchase as they insist you send the phone too a service centre for repair.

And the international warranty is a none issue for 99% of people.
Oh okay. I thought considering that the thread is comparing the 6P and 6S plus, it is implied that there is comparison with Apple.
And oh yeah, me being a Nexus user since Nexus One to Nexus 5, sure have no clue about Google's customer service. Uh huh. Have a cookie then.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What are your thoughts? I currently own the iPhone 6s plus and overall I'm happy but I missthe customization of Android. I am coming from a Note 5 which was a good phone but I got tired of touchwiz. Anyone here that own both and can tell me which one they prefer and why?

I have both. Do you prefer your left leg or your right leg ?

Personally they are both excellent devices and fundamentally if you are only going to choose 1, then pick do you prefer stock android or iOS.

Camera wise the iPhone is better in daylight, the 6P a little bet at night.
Camera software the iPhone is better overall, but not as good as Samsungs TW camera app on either device

Everything else is subjective, but the outdoor visibility of the screen - if you use your phone outdoors, the 6S Plus wins hands down

Likewise battery wise the 6S Plus is longer and far more consistent battery wise.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The Nexus line is pretty good. The original Nexus 5 is one of the best phones I've ever owned when you look at the quality vs the price point. The Nexus 6 was a bit of a disappointment. Just too big and the battery had a hard time supporting the larger screen.

Personally, I prefer the iOS operating system and much like others here, I've become quite invested in Apple, so it makes sense that I stay on this platform.

If there's a complaint I have about the Nexus line is that there's no consistency year over year on who the manufacturer will be. At least with my iPhone Forever plan at Sprint, I know that every year I'm getting an incremental upgrade without shelling out a lot of dough. When I had originally upgraded from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6 last year, that's actually what prompted me to give Apple a try.

I will say though, the new ones look nice (except for that black camera bar). But since I've switched over to Apple, I've tried a couple of random Android phones, and every time, my experience is positive for the first week or two, but then the excitement goes away and I end up missing iOS.

Hope this helps.

Rbtrucking

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
The Nexus line is pretty good. The original Nexus 5 is one of the best phones I've ever owned when you look at the quality vs the price point. The Nexus 6 was a bit of a disappointment. Just too big and the battery had a hard time supporting the larger screen.

Personally, I prefer the iOS operating system and much like others here, I've become quite invested in Apple, so it makes sense that I stay on this platform.

If there's a complaint I have about the Nexus line is that there's no consistency year over year on who the manufacturer will be. At least with my iPhone Forever plan at Sprint, I know that every year I'm getting an incremental upgrade without shelling out a lot of dough. When I had originally upgraded from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6 last year, that's actually what prompted me to give Apple a try.

I will say though, the new ones look nice (except for that black camera bar). But since I've switched over to Apple, I've tried a couple of random Android phones, and every time, my experience is positive for the first week or two, but then the excitement goes away and I end up missing iOS.

Hope this helps.
It's funny I was with Android for years mainly the note series and when the iPhone 6 came out I switched to that and honestly ever since it's pretty much been the same thing you said. I try to go back once in a while but after like a week I miss the iPhone.

Apps on iOS are far better and more refined and another big selling point for me with iOS is iMovie. Idk if I just wasn't looking in the right spot but Android video editing apps are terrible!

IOS overall is much more consistent too in terms of speed and battery life. With the note 5 there would be days that the battery was alright then other days it was dead by 4 pm. With the iPhone I usually have at least 50% battery left when I go to bed, sometimes on light use days up to 75-80%.

After typing all this I realize I am gonna stick with the iPhone actually.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
It's funny I was with Android for years mainly the note series and when the iPhone 6 came out I switched to that and honestly ever since it's pretty much been the same thing you said. I try to go back once in a while but after like a week I miss the iPhone.

Apps on iOS are far better and more refined and another big selling point for me with iOS is iMovie. Idk if I just wasn't looking in the right spot but Android video editing apps are terrible!

IOS overall is much more consistent too in terms of speed and battery life. With the note 5 there would be days that the battery was alright then other days it was dead by 4 pm. With the iPhone I usually have at least 50% battery left when I go to bed, sometimes on light use days up to 75-80%.

Thanks, im stickibg also ob the iphone after this.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

The only way to truly tell battery life is to run stock android with nexus (reset phone and don't install any apps) and do the same for iPhone 6S plus.

Don't install any apps.

Run a battery life in real time and see what the true battery life is.

There are rogue android apps that consume battery even when u disable all the notifications. Facebook is notorious even i disable everything in Facebook. It was still draining my android battery. So when I just used the stock web browser to log into Facebook. My battery problems were solved.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
The only way to truly tell battery life is to run stock android with nexus (reset phone and don't install any apps) and do the same for iPhone 6S plus.

Don't install any apps.

There are rogue android apps that consume battery even when u disable all the notifications. Facebook is notorious even i disable everything in Facebook. It was still draining my android battery. So when I just used the stock web browser to log into Facebook. My battery problems were solved.

That's the main thing that's making me lean towards keeping my iPhone 6s plus instead of my 6p is all of the sacrifices that need to be made to have good battery life on a phone with as big a battery as the 6p. Bluetooth drains battery and prevents doze from working, Facebook drains battery, dji go app drains battery and requires you to delete the app or toggle airplane mode after using it everytime. There are of course work arounds for everything but we shouldn't have to deal with disabling things in order to get past 2 pm off the charger.

Here is the rest of my list after carrying both devices for three weeks.

IPhone benefits
App quality
Touch id used in more apps
Battery life
Imessage, airdrop, facetime
Ad blocker in safari
Apple ecosystem
Slightly more privacy
Reachability
App permissions/background refresh/limited multitasking (I know some will disagree with me and argue that ios is more limited with multitasking but for me the battery lasting is more important and with how apple does it apps don't run rogue)

Android benefits
Open os
Quick charging
Notifications
Aesthetics of phone
USB transfer
App capabilities
Notification light
File system
Now on tap and Google now
Sharing capabilities
Back button
Non physical buttons

Reactions: Stuntman06

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Nexus 6P is better in terms of hardware. Nexus Imprint is unbeatable for fp scanners. Dual speakers allow you to get some stereo music. You have more carrier flexibility w/ the Nexus 6P. The camera doesn't protrude like the iPhone does because the 6P's bulge is level with the camera. USB Type C is also there for faster charging. 3GB of RAM is more than enough. iPhone just has the better software because it takes the hardware limitations (1080p, 2GB of RAM, etc) and puts it together with the beast of a processor to make it a better experience for users. iOS has significantly better camera software, app support, ease of use, etc.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Nexus 6P is better in terms of hardware. Nexus Imprint is unbeatable for fp scanners. Dual speakers allow you to get some stereo music. You have more carrier flexibility w/ the Nexus 6P. The camera doesn't protrude like the iPhone does because the 6P's bulge is level with the camera. USB Type C is also there for faster charging. 3GB of RAM is more than enough. iPhone just has the better software because it takes the hardware limitations (1080p, 2GB of RAM, etc) and puts it together with the beast of a processor to make it a better experience for users. iOS has significantly better camera software, app support, ease of use, etc.
Apple used more "vertical integration" in their iPhone software/hardware.

Google sorta of uses something in between vertical and horizontal integration with their
Nexus products.

Even Microsoft is starting to use more vertical integration like Apple (see surface pro lines and Lumia phones).

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Apple used more "vertical integration" in their iPhone software/hardware.

Google sorta of uses something in between vertical and horizontal integration with their
Nexus products.

Even Microsoft is starting to use more vertical integration like Apple (see surface pro lines and Lumia phones).

That's why iOS is a much better experience for users. Apple Tax conversations aside, having them design the software, create hardware designs, and outsourcing the hardware production to third parties allows Apple to cut unnecessary folks out of the way. Carriers are a huge issue and having Samsung deal with their 1st party bloat + carrier bloat in addition to aggressive RAM management, you deal with a less then ideal user experience.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007

I can agree here. I've used Android (and Blackberry) for most my life and have only owned the 3GS, 4s, and now 6s Plus...

I've used the Galaxy S series, Note (currently testing the Note 5), and Nexus series.

I am holding no flag for companies, and I can say that iOS is just more refined and unified. The battery life on the 6s Plus is just great and one of my favorite features. The battery life on the Note 5 is absolutely atrocious for it's size, and all my android phones never had great battery life. I honestly thought I was going to be blown away by picture quality on the Note 5 (like I was by the Note 4) and I honestly wasn't. The low light pictures are better, and it has better flash, but not generation gap differences in terms of taking photos.

There is a lot of processor throttling that goes on with the Samsung phones too.

iMessage really is great - and I never understood until I used it. This is obviously because so many people do have iPhones.

That's the main thing that's making me lean towards keeping my iPhone 6s plus instead of my 6p is all of the sacrifices that need to be made to have good battery life on a phone with as big a battery as the 6p. Bluetooth drains battery and prevents doze from working, Facebook drains battery, dji go app drains battery and requires you to delete the app or toggle airplane mode after using it everytime. There are of course work arounds for everything but we shouldn't have to deal with disabling things in order to get past 2 pm off the charger.

Here is the rest of my list after carrying both devices for three weeks.

IPhone benefits
App quality
Touch id used in more apps
Battery life
Imessage, airdrop, facetime
Ad blocker in safari
Apple ecosystem
Slightly more privacy
Reachability
App permissions/background refresh/limited multitasking (I know some will disagree with me and argue that ios is more limited with multitasking but for me the battery lasting is more important and with how apple does it apps don't run rogue)

Android benefits
Open os
Quick charging
Notifications
Aesthetics of phone
USB transfer
App capabilities
Notification light
File system
Now on tap and Google now
Sharing capabilities
Back button
Non physical buttons

Battery drains are real. Don't forgot OS updates in iOS devices are more consistent.

If I could take 1 thing from Android it would be the notification system.

Touch ID on the 6s is second to NONE. The imprint on the back of the phone works well, but there is a downside of not being able to use it if your phone is on the table.

Carrier flexibility is not relevant to most people, and if you truly need it you can get your iPhone unlocked easily.

The camera protruding is an opinion, as it isn't a bad or good thing based on fact. Most people use cases which negates the whole thing.

I agree with all your other statements though.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The biggest difference between the iPhone 6S+ and the Nexus 6P
Nexus 6P has a bigger screen, but no home button, so the phone feels smaller.
TouchID and Nexus Imprint are essentially equivalent, but Apple's lock screen, notifications implementation is horrible and ruins the experience
The build quality discussion is a wash, but the Nexus 6P does not appear to wobble on a table
iOS is crippled by a horrible services experience

Other than that, yeah, they're equivalent devices, and you can't go wrong with either, really. But some of the iPhone 6S+ superiority complex from some here is laughable.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Don't install any apps.

This

Delete and uninstall that evil crapware Facebook app, there's ZERO reason to have it.

The mobile site works just fine. And who the F. cares about FB notifications ? First world problems huh ? Humans got by just fine without FB a few years ago.

My advice, just use the mobile site for FB.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This

Delete and uninstall that evil crapware Facebook app, there's ZERO reason to have it.

The mobile site works just fine. And who the F. cares about FB notifications ? First world problems huh ? Humans got by just fine without FB a few years ago.

You've convinced me with your avatar. And this game is putting me in a good mood.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Word! Also on team no-FB-crapplet and just use mobile Chrome with notifications disabled. The positive with mobile Chrome FB is you can message without installing another crapplet. Win win!

As for hardware and OS choice my preference is Note 5 hardware over 6P but definitely Android which is much closer to desktop Linux than iOS on iPod 6S Plus.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This

I know. People complain about android battery problems. But many of the problems are the apps google allows to run wild.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Wish Google didn't stop the GPE program. A Note 5 GPE running stock Marshmallow would be great.
This and then Samsung should package all it's Note features as apps that can be downloaded on only the Note series. Or perhaps, create a "Samsung Services" app (a la Play Services) that has system level permissions and bundle all the Note features in it. There....lack of updates problem solved :)

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

Your international warranty claim does not stand. Apple's Chinese store will refuse service any iPhone that is not sold in mainland China. So you won't able to take your iPhone brought from US and do warranty service in China.

Reactions: Bpmd

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I'm very impressed with the Nexus 6P. Here is what I really like about it:
-- Excellent battery life. I use Waze for navigation whenever I drive. This is the biggest battery drain and my battery lasts all day.
-- Front facing speakers. Sound quality is great. It really blew me away.
-- Fingerprint sensor is very fast and accurate. At first, I though that the back was a rather awkward place for it. I hardly ever use my phone while it is sitting flat on a table, so I don't find the placement inconvenient.
-- Very smooth performance all around.
-- Camera is good. Double tap the power button to bring up the camera app without having to lock the phone. I will qualify this with having to set the HDR+ to auto.
-- Rapid charging is very fast. I forgot to charge it one day and had to charge the phone when I woke up. By the time I was ready to leave which is less than an hour, it went from less than 40% to over 90%.

Here's what I though could be an improvement:
-- The default camera settings did not result in good pictures. After playing with the HDR+ and flash settings, I found setting both to auto yields the best photos. They could have made this the default setting as the other settings were no where near as good.
-- I'd rather have a 5" phone. The 5.7" screen is too big for my liking. The smaller phones seem to have lower performance and battery life.
-- The USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the phone was too short. I have a car charger that takes a USB-A. The cable is 2" too short to reach from the car charger to where I mount my phone on the dash. The cable is really short and is really only useful if you plug your phone into your PC and your phone has to be right beside your PC. They could have just made the cable another two feet longer and it would be immensely more useful.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Your international warranty claim does not stand. Apple's Chinese store will refuse service any iPhone that is not sold in mainland China. So you won't able to take your iPhone brought from US and do warranty service in China.
Fine. Excluding China. And? Are any other OEMs any better?

I have had my Verizon iPhone serviced in Singapore and Japan without questions asked.
Sony Asia refused to even look at my US Xperia phone.
Samsung US explicitly said they do not support ANY unlocked phone.

From that comparison, I see Apple to be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.