Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
And I thought the 6P had a marmite back design.

I wonder if Google are gonna price it more competitively outside the US this year.

Never did get the HTC10 as it's still expensive and I'm all Samsunged out after the S6 and Notes of yesteryear. Kinda leaning back to stock Android devices. Currently flipping between a heavily modded S6 and a Mi5 Pro running CM13 which flies and looks beautiful in ceramic.

They could tempt me with a 64-128gb model as long as I can one-hand it and the camera holds up. I'll just put a case on it to hide the abstract rear.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I don't get it either. If it comes out looking like that, it'll be the nosedive of the year. Especially when Samsung just set a new design paradigm with the Note 7.
Oh dear yes I guess you're right... I guess they might go down as brothers in failure, both with that horribly dated pebble-ish design...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Reactions: AustinIllini

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's interesting because HTC was the first Nexus, and now HTC will be the first whatever-new name they come up with.

Pixel is a good guess, but I'm going to go with "Google Phone" or something that'll make the "G" print on the back of those renders/leaks make sense. It might also explain the leaked pricing we saw the other day; perhaps Google plans to position these as higher end devices. Nexus is generally regarded as "affordable." Without the Nexus branding, they can position these as more premium. They've been getting higher end and more premium each year anyway. Perhaps the new branding and price will start reflecting that.

And what of that "Nexus launcher" we saw a few weeks back... how does that play into all this? And what about the Google Now launcher, too? How will that be affected?

Many questions. This is kind of interesting.

Reactions: JaySoul and jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The G Phone? It would be awesome to see a Google phone with the Pixel build quality. Then I think Google needs to add some standards and consistency to it's flagship phone lineup.

I wholeheartedly agree about premium build quality. The 2 best made Google products, IMO, are the Pixel Chromebook and Pixel C. I want a phone from Google that fits in that family.

It's interesting because HTC was the first Nexus, and now HTC will be the first whatever-new name they come up with.

Pixel is a good guess, but I'm going to go with "Google Phone" or something that'll make the "G" print on the back of those renders/leaks make sense. It might also explain the leaked pricing we saw the other day; perhaps Google plans to position these as higher end devices. Nexus is generally regarded as "affordable." Without the Nexus branding, they can position these as more premium. They've been getting higher end and more premium each year anyway. Perhaps the new branding and price will start reflecting that.

And what of that "Nexus launcher" we saw a few weeks back... how does that play into all this? And what about the Google Now launcher, too? How will that be affected?

Many questions. This is kind of interesting.

I think the 'G' is just Google's equivalent to the Apple logo or 'Samsung' printed on their respective phones. I don't see them calling it just 'phone'--would be like having the Apple Phone X or Samsung Phone X. I think they'll want a brand to hang their hat on and considering they already use the Pixel name in two other product categories, two products priced towards the more premium realm, I'm placing my bet on Pixel.

Will certainly be interesting to see. Can't wait for the next month or two in tech.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
And this is pretty cool: https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/31/g...oid-can-now-find-content-buried-in-your-apps/

Google’s Search app on Android can now find content buried in your apps

Unlike Google searches, which take place on remote servers, this “In Apps” search takes place entirely on your phone, the company says. That means your private information is not sent to Google, and you can perform searches even when you’re offline. You can also configure which apps will appear by going to the Google App’s Settings and toggling the various apps on or off.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
But you need to keep in mind, the performance for the dollar the Nexus phones offer.

Last years Nexus 6P was an amazing phone for Fall 2015, priced at $499, with current flagship specs for the day, matching the hardware found in other flagships for 2015, such as the Galaxy S6, LG G4, LG V10, HTC One M9, etc... and all of those phones were selling for like $650 to $700, and I'd take the 6P all day long over any of those other skinned phones.

While true and I agree, the 6p had shortcomings which kind of made you feel like the cheaper price wasn't worth it. My main gripes were lack of OIS, camera wasn't anything great, not bad, just mediocre, no wireless charging, and the screen to body ratio is still horrible. I think I'd rather grab a $400 s7 off of swappa versus a new 6p if money was an issue.

You k now, it makes me wonder about Android fragmentation and if it isn't really a plus for Google to keep it like that. Having an instantly updated OS may be a big selling point and they may just want to keep it for themselves. But with the existence of cheap flagships like ZTE and others I'm just having a very hard time seeing the benefit of getting a nexus/google phone.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You k now, it makes me wonder about Android fragmentation and if it isn't really a plus for Google to keep it like that. Having an instantly updated OS may be a big selling point and they may just want to keep it for themselves. But with the existence of cheap flagships like ZTE and others I'm just having a very hard time seeing the benefit of getting a nexus/google phone.
Security from guaranteed updates, no bloat, Google Apps across the board. The "Phone Line formerly known as Nexus" used to be an actual cheap phone (Nexus 5, for example), but the 6P was really strong.

There are almost zero reasons to look anywhere else.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Security from guaranteed updates, no bloat, Google Apps across the board. The "Phone Line formerly known as Nexus" used to be an actual cheap phone (Nexus 5, for example), but the 6P was really strong.

There are almost zero reasons to look anywhere else.

I disagree, there were lots of reasons to look elsewhere. One of the strengths of the 6p was its price, but that strength is fast diminishing in today's market. They were better off with the cheaper N5 as you state. Personally I would prefer Google release a flagship, a true flagship with no compromises and I'm ok with a flagship price. But they'll continue to putter around in the mid range and compromised category. I just think a company like Google has the resources to really make an incredible phone, they can even lose money on it because all they care about is advertising.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I disagree, there were lots of reasons to look elsewhere. One of the strengths of the 6p was its price, but that strength is fast diminishing in today's market. They were better off with the cheaper N5 as you state. Personally I would prefer Google release a flagship, a true flagship with no compromises and I'm ok with a flagship price. But they'll continue to putter around in the mid range and compromised category. I just think a company like Google has the resources to really make an incredible phone, they can even lose money on it because all they care about is advertising.
I understand. I think this rumored "Nexus launcher" is an indication that Google might go that direction. However, I still selfishly hope the new GPhone comes in at a lower price than the iPhone 7.

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I understand. I think this rumored "Nexus launcher" is an indication that Google might go that direction. However, I still selfishly hope the new GPhone comes in at a lower price than the iPhone 7.

Yeah I hear you, hopefully they have a mid range and a flagship to make everyone happy.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

I've pretty much decided that the only thing that's going to pull me away from my iPhone at this point is a great Google Phone. Don't really care about the price, because my next iPhone I'm sure will be north of $900. Samsung phones look great on the surface, but man, so many issues. Exploding phones now. I'm steering clear.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
While true and I agree, the 6p had shortcomings which kind of made you feel like the cheaper price wasn't worth it. My main gripes were lack of OIS, camera wasn't anything great, not bad, just mediocre

I will have to disagree, while it isn't a Samsung level it is still very good overall. No way would I call it mediocre, I could think of many much worse cameras

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I will have to disagree, while it isn't a Samsung level it is still very good overall. No way would I call it mediocre, I could think of many much worse cameras

I wasn't particularly pleased with the pics. In particular the lack of OIS made shots of my bouncy 4 year old not great. The pictures were not terrible or even bad, but definitely mediocre when put next to pics from a Note 5 or a 6s+. Maybe just my preference for pictures as I've noticed sometimes it's not so much the strict quality, as it may be the persons preference for how a picture turns out. I did also notice low light performance was subpar versus the other 2 phones I mentioned.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I've pretty much decided that the only thing that's going to pull me away from my iPhone at this point is a great Google Phone. Don't really care about the price, because my next iPhone I'm sure will be north of $900. Samsung phones look great on the surface, but man, so many issues. Exploding phones now. I'm steering clear.
For me, there are a few things

1) High build quality Google Phone
2) The ability to send text messages via an android device from my mac without MightyText/PushBullet
3) I have to convince my family to adopt it. I know this is a weird one, but the iPhone is just so pervasive in my life.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

2) The ability to send text messages via an android device from my mac without MightyText/PushBullet
3) I have to convince my family to adopt it. I know this is a weird one, but the iPhone is just so pervasive in my life.

I want it to be top notch build. Supported by Google - meaning I can go to them with warranty problems. I'm good with sending SMS via Pushbullet. Means I can text from any computer that I log into. And I understand getting your family on board. Only thing they would have to adopt is maybe Duo and then either Google Photos or Facebook Messenger for sending videos. I just can't do a carrier phone anymore and I want those guaranteed updates.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I want it to be top notch build. Supported by Google - meaning I can go to them with warranty problems. I'm good with sending SMS via Pushbullet. Means I can text from any computer that I log into. And I understand getting your family on board. Only thing they would have to adopt is maybe Duo and then either Google Photos or Facebook Messenger for sending videos. I just can't do a carrier phone anymore and I want those guaranteed updates.
I got them to use Google Photos, which was a huge step, but I'm on the fence about switching anyway, so I won't force the issue.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I got them to use Google Photos, which was a huge step, but I'm on the fence about switching anyway, so I won't force the issue.

Oh yeah I hear ya. I'm on the fence, too. I was all set on leaving, but there isn't an Android phone out that I think is of the quality of my iPhone and that I trust to work as intended. I guarantee I'll order an iPhone next week anyway no matter what.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

3 big ones for me as well. And #3 isn't weird...nearly every person in my extended family and the overwelming majority of all of my regular contacts use iPhones so this always comes into play for me as well. My feelings though are it's a bit selfish of me to expect everyone else to conform to my personal use case so if I'm going to switch to Android, I'll deal with any compromises.

Top notch hardware with rock solid materials and build quality are what I'd like to see most. I'm fortunate in that I can afford to pay iPhone/Galaxy Note prices if I deem the hardware earns it. I want a high end experience and will pay the extra $ for it. A phone built like the other Pixel hardware would be terrific.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Is Google still expected to announce their own smartwatches along with the new Google phones? The "Nexus" of smartwatches, so to speak.

Because the gear s3 is looking pretty amazing. For the first time, I may factor in the company's smartwatch in my future smartphone purchase.

It'll likely come down to Google phone and Google smartwatch or Samsung phone and Samsung smartwatch.

Reactions: JaySoul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.