Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As far as I can tell, no I cannot.

It's strange. I'm running stock Android and the Google Now launcher (which is the stock launcher for my device). It was only when I updated to Oreo today that my app icons got the square treatment.

It's only happened to YouTube, the Play Store, thr Google app, and Chrome.

Maybe it's just an Oreo thing.
Can you install Pixel launcher since Oreo on the 6P seeing as the Google Now launcher hasn't been updated in a long time.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I really appreciate the help, including the videos and screenshots.

Unfortunately, my home screen settings (accessed by long-pressing on the home screen) do not have an app icon shape option. I also cannot download the Pixel launcher. When I view the launcher in the play store, instead of a download button I instead see a notice that says "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Bah!

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I really appreciate the help, including the videos and screenshots.

Unfortunately, my home screen settings (accessed by long-pressing on the home screen) do not have an app icon shape option. I also cannot download the Pixel launcher. When I view the launcher in the play store, instead of a download button I instead see a notice that says "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Bah!
I'd recommend Lawnchair Launcher if you want a Pixel launcher experience. It's been developed by XDA folks and is fantastic. In fact, I'm using it on my Pixel XL as it's got more customization than even the Pixel stock launcher.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'd recommend Lawnchair Launcher if you want a Pixel launcher experience. It's been developed by XDA folks and is fantastic. In fact, I'm using it on my Pixel XL as it's got more customization than even the Pixel stock launcher.

I tried it on my S8 and the nav buttons are greyed out. I couldn't figure out anything to change to fix it, so I went back to Nova Prime. But yeah, Lawnchair Launcher is a great and full-featured launcher.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Anyone here rocking the smaller Pixel? Any remorse for not going with the XL? I'm on a tight budget and the regular one is obviously cheaper.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone here rocking the smaller Pixel? Any remorse for not going with the XL? I'm on a tight budget and the regular one is obviously cheaper.
Having had both sizes I do think the XL is the slightly better device. Its screen is a bit sharper and battery life is small bit better, however its not by a significant margin especially if price is a factor.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
What type of screen was in the Pixel? I can't recall ever finding out? Was it OLED or LCD?
I remember not liking the screen on mine - was really vibrant almost retina burning - even with reduced brightness.

Hoping that isn't the case with the 2.

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What type of screen was in the Pixel? I can't recall ever finding out? Was it OLED or LCD?
I remember not liking the screen on mine - was really vibrant almost retina burning - even with reduced brightness.

Hoping that isn't the case with the 2.
Yeah it's a Samsung Super AMOLED panel, but not the greatest one due to quite poor outdoor visibility which is awkward when you want to use that fantastic camera, and really oversaturated colours that sadly suffers when putting it into SRGB mode in developer options. It really needs a colour calibration tool. Hopefully Pixel 2 will be better.

Oh... edit.

Just found an app called display calibration and you simply click adjust and it auto calibrated your screen. It recognised my Pixel XL running Oreo then prompts you to restart.

I am now in SRGB mode with whites that are white and not yellow. It looks great finally and no retina burning colours ....

Additional edit ...

NOPE just a Placebo ...

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah it's a Samsung Super AMOLED panel, but not the greatest one due to quite poor outdoor visibility which is awkward when you want to use that fantastic camera, and really oversaturated colours that sadly suffers when putting it into SRGB mode in developer options. It really needs a colour calibration tool. Hopefully Pixel 2 will be better.

Oh... edit.

Just found an app called display calibration and you simply click adjust and it auto calibrated your screen. It recognised my Pixel XL running Oreo then prompts you to restart.

I am now in SRGB mode with whites that are white and not yellow. It looks great finally and no retina burning colours ....

Additional edit ...

NOPE just a Placebo ...

I remember discussing how off the screen was back when I had the Pixel last year.

Thought you had struck gold on a solution then haha.

Reactions: MRU

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah so did I for 15 seconds lol ...

Haha oops.
This is like me looking for a blue light filter or 'night mode' app for my Xperia.

Not having one baked into the OS is really really annoying and no app comes close to just swiping down and pressing. Nor do they look as good!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Oh... edit.

Additional edit ...

NOPE just a Placebo ...
Have you enabled srgb mode in developer settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.