Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They need a smaller Nexus device, it has to be the same size as the Nexus 5. I went to a phone store yesterday and had a look at the Nexus 5X and for me it's still too big. My iPhone 6S and Nexus 5 really are my limits for mobile phones. I held the 5X and was just thinking you may as well just get a Note over this. If they got rid of the silly bezels on the ends it would be better.

Just make a Nexus with a 4.95" 1080P or 2k screen, much better battery life, same camera as the 5X but with OIS, 64GB option and the same styling as the Nexus 5 and 5X but without the 5X chins, tive it a decent speaker out the bottom. And put in a new ten Snap Dragon, doesn't need to be an 823, can be a 653 for instance with 4GB ram.
And give it the build quality of the 5X. Keep the finger print sensor on the back too.
And bring back wireless charging for the love of God! One of the best features of the Nexus 5!

Just my thoughts.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Interesting: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...ufacturers-os-update-speeds-may-publish-them/

Google Allegedly Tracks Stats For Manufacturers' OS Update Speeds, May Publish Them

According to a Bloomberg article published this morning, Google has been actively tracking the time it takes Android device manufacturers to update their handsets to a new version of the Android OS. Better yet? There are supposedly discussions happening inside Google as to whether or not to make the stats public, as a sort of "name and shame" directive to encourage manufacturers and carriers alike to update their handsets more quickly.

... Bloomberg article discusses how in America in particular manufacturers have become utterly hamstrung by carrier update certification processes. Citing one former major OEM employee, Bloomberg claims that every single update certification can cost upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and some take months to complete.

Carriers be damned.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Interesting: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...ufacturers-os-update-speeds-may-publish-them/

Google Allegedly Tracks Stats For Manufacturers' OS Update Speeds, May Publish Them

According to a Bloomberg article published this morning, Google has been actively tracking the time it takes Android device manufacturers to update their handsets to a new version of the Android OS. Better yet? There are supposedly discussions happening inside Google as to whether or not to make the stats public, as a sort of "name and shame" directive to encourage manufacturers and carriers alike to update their handsets more quickly.

... Bloomberg article discusses how in America in particular manufacturers have become utterly hamstrung by carrier update certification processes. Citing one former major OEM employee, Bloomberg claims that every single update certification can cost upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and some take months to complete.

Carriers be damned.
Lets get it all out in the open and rank them all. Then maybe they will compete against eachother to be the best?

Reactions: gotluck

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The question is... will carriers care? They're the biggest obstacle.

Messages like this make me appreciate the fact that where I live carriers are sticking to what they do the best, i.e. providing cellular networks. They're not interested in delaying upgrades by insisting on customizing every single bit of the experience. It's sad that the US carriers are still such a nuisance.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nice. I have 200gb Google storage so always use full quality regardless, but that would be a nice bonus for nexus owners.

Although ....

Doesn't Google Photos already give FREE storage uncompressed below 16 megapixel. It's after 16 megapixel that they are then downsized to 16/compressed with the free storage option.

Given the last Nexus devices shot in 12 mp - the FREE storage applied anyway and images wouldn't have been compressed.

So essentially aren't really giving you anything new here in hindsight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Donkey

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Nice. I have 200gb Google storage so always use full quality regardless, but that would be a nice bonus for nexus owners.

Although ....

Doesn't Google Photos already give FREE storage uncompressed below 16 megapixel. It's after 16 megapixel that they are then downsized to 16/compressed with the free storage option.

Given the last Nexus devices shot in 12 mp - the FREE storage applied anyway and images wouldn't have been compressed.

So essentially aren't really giving you anything new here in hindsight.

They compress under 16MP. But it is done really well. Plus now we can back up 4K video. And as mentioned in the article things like photospheres etc will be a part of this too.

And honestly, of all this, I am most excited for date sorting in albums :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire and MRU

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
They need a smaller Nexus device, it has to be the same size as the Nexus 5. I went to a phone store yesterday and had a look at the Nexus 5X and for me it's still too big. My iPhone 6S and Nexus 5 really are my limits for mobile phones. I held the 5X and was just thinking you may as well just get a Note over this. If they got rid of the silly bezels on the ends it would be better.

Just make a Nexus with a 4.95" 1080P or 2k screen, much better battery life, same camera as the 5X but with OIS, 64GB option and the same styling as the Nexus 5 and 5X but without the 5X chins, tive it a decent speaker out the bottom. And put in a new ten Snap Dragon, doesn't need to be an 823, can be a 653 for instance with 4GB ram.
And give it the build quality of the 5X. Keep the finger print sensor on the back too.
And bring back wireless charging for the love of God! One of the best features of the Nexus 5!

Just my thoughts.
This. I'm hoping for a fully featured 5" Nexus this year. Seriously, the only issue I have with the Nexus 6P is its size. It's huge! I want a 5" phone, max.

Reactions: apolloa and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This. I'm hoping for a fully featured 5" Nexus this year. Seriously, the only issue I have with the Nexus 6P is its size. It's huge! I want a 5" phone, max.
Yeah a 5" version with same build quality as it's bigger sibling, same CPU, same GPU, same ram, same camera etc.

The only difference i wouldn't mind is a 1080p screen on a 5" device compared to 2k. It will help battery life.

If they can release such a device (a smaller nexus with same top specs) i would pick it up instead of its phablet sibling

Reactions: v0lume4 and apolloa

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah a 5" version with same build quality as it's bigger sibling, same CPU, same GPU, same ram, same camera etc.

The only difference i wouldn't mind is a 1080p screen on a 5" device compared to 2k. It will help battery life.

If they can release such a device (a smaller nexus with same top specs) i would pick it up instead of its phablet sibling

I think they can do even better with the camera tech. But otherwise, I could go for everything else!

EDIT: Oh shoot, nevermind. I read your post wrong. You meant same camera as the larger Nexus this year. I get ya. Agree with all then. :)

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think they can do even better with the camera tech. But otherwise, I could go for everything else!

EDIT: Oh shoot, nevermind. I read your post wrong. You meant same camera as the larger Nexus this year. I get ya. Agree with all then. :)
Lol. Yeah that's what i meant

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Anyone running the latest build? Thoughts? I am tempted to get a N6 jus play around with N a bit.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Interesting read:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/02/its-time-to-let-the-phrase-stock-android-die-opinion/

Not sure I fully agree that Google's version of Android is not still considered "stock". But it is just a word so whatever. The Nexus image is of course different than pure AOSP, but the system is mainly the same.

Anyway, good to hear about more customization specifically tailored for Nexus devices in the pipeline. It will still be considered the purest version of Android no matter what they want to call it. And no Android Police, that is not "religious zealotry". Call it clean, bare bones, whatever.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Interesting read:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/02/its-time-to-let-the-phrase-stock-android-die-opinion/

Not sure I fully agree that Google's version of Android is not still considered "stock". But it is just a word so whatever. The Nexus image is of course different than pure AOSP, but the system is mainly the same.

Anyway, good to hear about more customization specifically tailored for Nexus devices in the pipeline. It will still be considered the purest version of Android no matter what they want to call it. And no Android Police, that is not "religious zealotry". Call it clean, whatever.

Seems they (android police) are really just arguing petty semantics over what is essentially a nerdy technicality.

Regardless, yeah i'm really looking forward to see what extra customisation options they add to 'stock' android in the forthcoming versions of android.

Give me the abitlity to sort my app drawer and add folders / or remove the app drawer completely. Ability to hide apps. More wallpaper options or even a dark mode for the app drawer etc .... Doesn't have to be massive changes, but these small additional customisation options wouldnt take away from stock ethos, whilst providing a better end user experience which is essentially what stock lovers choose stock for in the first place.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
For me the preference for stock is more about OEMs not wanting to maintain their alterations across system updates. Every alteration they make means more work down the line with every update for them. Their feature may have to be rewritten due to core changes in the system. I just want them to let Google do the work, focus on the drivers and making the hardware as optimized as possible, rather than writing something that will be broken next year and ignoring optimization due to time/manpower constraints.

Reactions: MRU and Surf Donkey

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Huawei for the phablet again, HTC does the smaller one instead of LG?

Yeah, maybe the two HTC rumored Nexus devices are a smartphone and a tablet. No one was ever sure the two rumored devices would both be smartphones.

Here's my dream:

HTC Nexus 5 (based off the HTC 10)
Huawei Nexus 6 (based off the Huawei P9)
HTC Nexus tablet

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Yeah, maybe the two HTC rumored Nexus devices are a smartphone and a tablet. No one was ever sure the two rumored devices would both be smartphones.

Here's my dream:

HTC Nexus 5 (based off the HTC 10)
Huawei Nexus 6 (based off the Huawei P9)
HTC Nexus tablet

I dig that....

yes-gif.gif

Reactions: epicrayban

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
HTC has been heavily rumored to be the manufacturer on two new Nexus phones due in Sept / Oct, a 5.0" and 5.5", guess time will tell.

Also Huawei is also rumored to still be on board for making a next gen Nexus device, now maybe they are making a Tablet, or maybe the rumors of a 7P are true, basically the same overall phone as the 6P, except with updated specs like the SD820 + 4GB RAM, and thicker stronger aluminum build, like the iPhone 6 to 6S change are rumors I have also heard.

So it may realistically play out like this. HTC makes a high end smaller Nexus phone at 5.0", and Huawei makes the 7P Nexus phone, and then the Nexus tablet made by HTC.

Reactions: gotluck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.