Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
There is hope that he can be the EK that was promised. For me, the more I see him the more disappointed I am with that trade, and how it set the Sharks as a franchise back. I'm hoping he will be the Norris caliber player he was in Ottawa, and this team will need it.
I am doubtful but let's see what happens. You have to wonder about the judgement and smarts of some GMs when they commit to very expensive long term contracts for ageing players.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Watching the first Kraken game, and I love the speed they are showing. They were down 3, but came back to get 2 in the second and cut the Knights lead to 1. It's been a great game so far.

Reactions: TheBeefChief

TheBeefChief

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
I really like the idea that another new franchise has been introduced. I think it's quite cool yet ironic that game 1 for the kraken was against the last new team to be introduced! Student vs teacher-esque. I have high hopes for the Kraken and wish them well but my heart will always be for the Kings.

Go Kings Go.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I really like the idea that another new franchise has been introduced. I think it's quite cool yet ironic that game 1 for the kraken was against the last new team to be introduced! Student vs teacher-esque. I have high hopes for the Kraken and wish them well but my heart will always be for the Kings.

Go Kings Go.
New franchise? Do tell!

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
That was a distinct kicking motion and I challenge someone to explain why it isn't. I guess it's an NHL ritual to be screwed by the refs to help Vegas out, so welcome the Kraken officially to the NHL. ;)

TheBeefChief

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
That was a distinct kicking motion and I challenge someone to explain why it isn't. I guess it's an NHL ritual to be screwed by the refs to help Vegas out, so welcome the Kraken officially to the NHL. ;)
Agreed. It's a rite of passage to be overly harsh to a newly entered team. It stops fans from thinking that anyone will go easy on them for being a newly rostered and newly developed team. This will go on for the Kraken for around 3-4 games and then they will find their place. I wish them all the best in their campaign!

Reactions: decafjava

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Agreed. It's a rite of passage to be overly harsh to a newly entered team. It stops fans from thinking that anyone will go easy on them for being a newly rostered and newly developed team. This will go on for the Kraken for around 3-4 games and then they will find their place. I wish them all the best in their campaign!

I was really hoping the Kraken would play well last night. They really sucked last night. The game was over in the second period and Grubour was terrible. I liked watching Driedger in Florida so hopefully he has a good start tonight.

Game of the night tonight is probably Florida vs. Tampa Bay. I will be watching that on the computer and Sharks/Habs on the main TV.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I was really hoping the Kraken would play well last night. They really sucked last night. The game was over in the second period and Grubour was terrible. I liked watching Driedger in Florida so hopefully he has a good start tonight.

Game of the night tonight is probably Florida vs. Tampa Bay. I will be watching that on the computer and Sharks/Habs on the main TV.
Your Sharks may do well tonight. Habs have scored a total of 3 goals in 3 games. They better get themselves turned around quickly. The appearance in the Cup finals last year is but a distant memory.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Your Sharks may do well tonight. Habs have scored a total of 3 goals in 3 games. They better get themselves turned around quickly. The appearance in the Cup finals last year is but a distant memory.

I hope so. I'm worried about how much of a distraction this whole Kane story is though. The media keeps asking players and Boughner about it and they can't do anything. I'm excited to continue watching what the young guys are doing, especially after the game Saturday.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I hope so. I'm worried about how much of a distraction this whole Kane story is though. The media keeps asking players and Boughner about it and they can't do anything. I'm excited to continue watching what the young guys are doing, especially after the game Saturday.
He seems to have some issues. Accused of gambling, assault against his wife and now falsifying Covid documents. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
He seems to have some issues. Accused of gambling, assault against his wife and now falsifying Covid documents. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

He seems like a cancer in the locker room. The thing I noticed about the Sharks on Saturday was how much happier they seemed. Yeah they won, but there was an exuberance of joy that I never saw from the team last year. I don't want Kane to disrupt that.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
He seems like a cancer in the locker room. The thing I noticed about the Sharks on Saturday was how much happier they seemed. Yeah they won, but there was an exuberance of joy that I never saw from the team last year. I don't want Kane to disrupt that.
If I was GM I would send him packing.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Well, another stellar performance by Montreal. They have scored 4 goals in their 5 games and lost all of them. Their worst start in 25 years. GM Bergevin is in the last year of a 6 year contract and speculation is rife that this is the end for him. Many have been calling for him and Head Scout Timmins to be fired for the past few years but it seems he may have some compromising phots or info on owner Molson which keeps him safe. This current Molson knows nothing about hockey, has little interest in the tradition and what the team means to Montreal. As long as he continues to sell his beer and fills the seats at the Bell Centre, he is happy. Shameful.

There are rumours that the GM may move to LA where he has good buddies in the Kings organization. I don't follow the Kings so I have no idea what they need or don't need. But I can't see any team benefiting from having Bergevin join them. He is a textbook example of the Peter Principle.

• Sad
Reactions: decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
This long time Habs fan is sad. My cousin must really be angry (born in Montreal but currently living in Hamilton, Ontario) as he is the biggest fan I know.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Why is this thread dead? The playoffs are coming!

I had a really cool experience yesterday. Last week, I won Rangers tickets through Verizon's UP rewards for the last game of the regular season. It included a tour of Madison Square Garden, a $200 voucher for the team store (which I used to get an Adam Fox jersey), a meet and greet with Stephane Matteau, and unlimited food and alcohol. The game was great, 4-0 shutout and they won the Presidents' Cup trophy.

IMG_0879.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0961.jpeg

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I guess there wasn't much of an NHL fan presence on a board like this and the Sharks are officially the worst team in Hockey. Congrats to the Rangers for winning the presidents trophy though. I guess the two big games tonight are the Caps and Red Wings games. I watched the end of the Red Wings game last night and that was exciting. Can't really say I'm looking forward to the playoffs, but go Panthers and Stars.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I was going to try and get a ticlket for the last Coyote home game before they left town. But the cheapest I could find the other day was $900. They have dropped some, but when Conner McDavid is coming to town and you play your last ever game in Phoenix in a 5000 seat arena, I get why they are so expensive.

Also, Since McDavid got his 100th assist, will Matthews get his 70th goal tonight?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
My Sabres, 13 years, no playoffs.

This year was particularly galling, because the Sabres had one more win than the Islanders, but the Islanders go to the playoffs.

On a tangent rant, the points system is stupid. I've always hated it. It should be like the NFL or NBA - wins, losses and that's it. Tie breakers are division and conference records. None of this one point for a loss nonsense. It shouldn't matter HOW you lose a game.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I watched the Coyotes game last night and it got me emotional, just the human element of a city and fanbase losing a franchise. It especially hit hard seeing all the kids and signs saying "We Will Miss You". Today seeing the news about the relocation being official felt like the final stab in the heart. It is too bad it didn't work out in the Pheonix Area and I hope Salt Lake enjoys their new franchise.

As for the playoffs, I'm starting to get tired of this format, considering Florida and Tampa are playing each other, again, and Toronto and Boston are playing each other, again. You might as well not play the season and have these match ups because it feels like they happen every year.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I watched the Coyotes game last night and it got me emotional, just the human element of a city and fanbase losing a franchise. It especially hit hard seeing all the kids and signs saying "We Will Miss You". Today seeing the news about the relocation being official felt like the final stab in the heart. It is too bad it didn't work out in the Pheonix Area and I hope Salt Lake enjoys their new franchise.

I did read where Meruelo retains the Coyotes name and if he can get an arena built within 5 years, he can reactivate the franchise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.