Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dzoolander

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
It seemed pretty darn obvious that it wasn't heading any higher than $700.

I liquidated my entire position at $693. One of the best investing decisions I've made in awhile.

As someone who has 3000 Apple shares and has been investing in this company since 1999 and has been a fan since 1984, I say you are sadly mistaken. THe company has $140 built into each and every share and growing everyday It will soon reach $300/share by end of next year. No other company in the world has that inherent value built into its shares. It has a P/E ratio of 12 which is a joke (trading so low) compared to other tech companies. Look at Amazon, trading at a P/E ratio of almost 2800!!! By that logic Apple shares should be worth $126,000!!!! Apple makes more money in one day than Amazon does in over a year. People who have no idea about investing keep saying $700 is overpriced.... the facts are the stock is cheap if you look at the companies Fundamentals which all the pundits and Analyst miss.
And oh yeah, Apple is about to sign a deal with China Mobile early next year; that company has very few customers.....about 660 million people.
And all this talk about Market share is bogus- Apple owns the profits in the mobile Space. 75% of all smart phone profits and 95% of all tablet profits go to Apple's coffers. That is the little understood fact. It's the profit, Stupid, not market share that is the Lion King.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is pure FUD. The stock market was actually up pre-opening because of the election and tanked because of Apple and a few other tech stocks dropped.

Don't make this a political thread. And read a little more about the actual reasons the market fell yesterday instead of taking facts out of the air.

I'm sorry but you're clueless if you think the Dow tanked yesterday because of Apple. The fiscal cliff is real and Wall Street is worried. Apple's probably tanking b/c investors are taking profits before taxes go sky high next year.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm sorry but you're clueless if you think the Dow tanked yesterday because of Apple. The fiscal cliff is real and Wall Street is worried. Apple's probably tanking b/c investors are taking profits before taxes go sky high next year.

Really? You think I think that the dow dropped just because of Apple? I never said that. I think we both know the thrust of my post was that it had nothing to do with Obama getting elected. No matter who was elected - the market would be down right now. The fiscal cliff being one factor. If it was because of Obama (only) being elected then the market wouldn't have been up in pre-trading now would it?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
The stock is being manipulated right now. The same thing happened last year at this time. Share price will rise again as January 24th draws near.

This is exactly my sentiment about AAPL.

How can a company with nearly $200 billion in cold hard cash, 20%+ yoy growth, no debt, a low P/E ratio of 12, decent dividend, a killer 2012 holiday season coming up, huge growth potential, world-wide appeal and popularity, and a $900 stock price target be doomed?

The tank we're seeing caused by profit taking, stock price manipulation, panic and fear due to overall market conditions which are due to the world economic crisis. Anything else anyone is saying about AAPL being doomed is being intellectually dishonest or looking to get into AAPL themselves and fueling the fire to drive the price down lower.

RoadOfMajor

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
pretty much most tech companies had their stocks dive since mid sept.

the re-election is another contributing factor...

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
As someone who has 3000 Apple shares and has been investing in this company since 1999 and has been a fan since 1984, I say you are sadly mistaken. THe company has $140 built into each and every share and growing everyday It will soon reach $300/share by end of next year. No other company in the world has that inherent value built into its shares. It has a P/E ratio of 12 which is a joke (trading so low) compared to other tech companies. Look at Amazon, trading at a P/E ratio of almost 2800!!! By that logic Apple shares should be worth $126,000!!!! Apple makes more money in one day than Amazon does in over a year. People who have no idea about investing keep saying $700 is overpriced.... the facts are the stock is cheap if you look at the companies Fundamentals which all the pundits and Analyst miss.
And oh yeah, Apple is about to sign a deal with China Mobile early next year; that company has very few customers.....about 660 million people.
And all this talk about Market share is bogus- Apple owns the profits in the mobile Space. 75% of all smart phone profits and 95% of all tablet profits go to Apple's coffers. That is the little understood fact. It's the profit, Stupid, not market share that is the Lion King.

heh heh, let's me ask these questions. Do you have a view of what the gross margin will be like for Iphone 5, Ipad 4, Ipad mini, Iphone 6 and Ipad 5 going into 2013 and what will the volume be in 2013 (4q12 management projection 36%, 3q12, 40%, 2Q12, 43ish%. What will 1Q13 gross margin will be?)? Apple already project a yoy earning drop in 4q12 as compare to 4Q11. Do you have a view of why won't it happen in 1Q2013 and 2Q2013? The massive profit come because of the superior gross margin and massive sales number increase.. Didn't Apple management already said that the new product has less gross margin than before in the last conference call?

I made my year on trading Apple options and what you describe is a rear view mirror view of Apple stock. There is no single refernece as to the future of Apple product. Nokia and RIMM has a very big cash cushion in the middle of stock crash and burn also and it didn't help them. The key to Apple stock price and business depend on the future product line up and that should be the focus instead of pass performance.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
This is exactly my sentiment about AAPL.

How can a company with nearly $200 billion in cold hard cash, 20%+ yoy growth, no debt, a low P/E ratio of 12, decent dividend, a killer 2012 holiday season coming up, huge growth potential, world-wide appeal and popularity, and a $900 stock price target be doomed?

But you know that the killer 4Q12 holiday session will make less money than 4Q11 session, right?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/952...f4q12-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=4

As we indicated previously, revenue in that 14th week last year was approximately one 14th of the quarter’s total revenue. We expect revenues to be about $52 billion compared to $46.3 billion in the December quarter last year. We expect gross margin to be about 36% reflecting approximately $90 million related to stock-based compensation expense.

We expect OpEx to be about $4.05 billion including about $485 million related to stock-based compensation expense. We expect OI&E to be about $380 million, and we expect the tax rate to be about 26%. We are targeting EPS of about $11.75.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/952...arnings-call-transcript?page=5&p=qanda&l=last

As you pointed out, this is the most prolific product period in Apple’s history. We have an unprecedented number of new product introductions over the last six weeks, and this has led to record levels of demand. New or re-priced versions of our products announced during this time frame represent over 80% of the total expected December quarter revenue.

But there are costs associated with such dramatic change and demand. The iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iMac, MacBook Pro 13-inch, iPod Touch and iPod Nano have completely new form factors with great new features, and we’ve never before introduced so many new form factors at once. All of these products have higher costs than their predecessors, and therefore lower gross margins as they are at the height of the cost curve.

This has been the case with new products in the past, so nothing new. The difference this time is the sheer number of new products we are introducing in a very short period of time. Additionally, we lowered the price of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, delivering incredible value to our customer.

We head into this holiday quarter with the strongest iPhone line-up that we have ever had with the iPhone 4 starting at three in the subsidized markets. We also added the iPad Mini to our iPad line-up. The iPad Mini has the full iPad experience, and we priced it aggressively at $329, delivering incredible value to our customers. Its gross margin is significantly below the corporate average.

So in summary, we expect our gross margin to decline by about 400 basis points sequentially. We expect the benefit from positive leverage on a sequentially higher revenue and a greater mix of iPhone, but we expect these benefits will be more than offset by a number of factors.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple's stock is now down 20% since its all-time high set in mid-September, with investors concerned about the company's prospects for the future amid a management shakeup and questions about where the company's next major revenue growth driver will come from. Samsung's rise to prominence in mobile device markets is also weighing on Apple as the iPhone's market share growth has slowed or even declined in recent quarters.

The difficulties being experienced by Apple are gradually gaining higher visibility outside of the financial markets, with ABC's Nightline running a segment (via Fortune) addressing the issues. The evening news show had previously been granted access to Foxconn factories producing Apple products in response to public criticism over worker treatment at the facilities.

YouTube: video
Apple is expected to have a monster holiday quarter on the strength of the iPhone 5, iPad mini, fourth-generation iPad, and updated iPod and Mac models nearly across the board. But with Foxconn still struggling to meet demand for production of the iPhone 5, which is Apple's primary revenue driver, there are some concerns about whether the quarter's performance will be quite as big as many are hoping for.

Article Link: 'Nightline' Looks at Apple's Woes as Stock Declines 20% from All-Time High

Just hate to say this guys but! :D

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Even before. See Post 112 and my other post at this link https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16235795#post16235795

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime
A product that is lossing market share. Market is growing but the iPhone growth is no longer growing as fast as the market.

Why do you keep repeating FUD? The iPhone has continued to gain market share every year.

More then likely he is comparing it against Android market share. But as usual, Android market share/profits are split between hundreds of different manufactures, still making Apple one of the top leaders.

dzoolander

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
heh heh, let's me ask these questions. Do you have a view of what the gross margin will be like for Iphone 5, Ipad 4, Ipad mini, Iphone 6 and Ipad 5 going into 2013 and what will the volume be in 2013 (4q12 management projection 36%, 3q12, 40%, 2Q12, 43ish%. What will 1Q13 gross margin will be?)? Apple already project a yoy earning drop in 4q12 as compare to 4Q11. Do you have a view of why won't it happen in 1Q2013 and 2Q2013? The massive profit come because of the superior gross margin and massive sales number increase.. Didn't Apple management already said that the new product has less gross margin than before in the last conference call?

I made my year on trading Apple options and what you describe is a rear view mirror view of Apple stock. There is no single reference as to the future of Apple product. Nokia and RIMM has a very big cash cushion in the middle of stock crash and burn also and it didn't help them. The key to Apple stock price and business depend on the future product line up and that should be the focus instead of pass performance.

Actually the margins will be lower this last quarter because of the new form factors of the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc. But as you know with economies of scale the production costs will reduce. But again, Apple will strike deals with China Mobile, increasing potential subscribers by 660 million.
Even if Apple does not introduce any new 'revolutionary" products they will dominate these sectors. Look what happened with the iPod and the exact thing is occurring in the tablet space with the iPad. Apple will continue making iterations to their previous products and make more and more profit. The more important question is can any of Apple's competitors come up with a revolutionary product? .......Silence. None of them have in the past decade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.