Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
What lenses from other Manufacturers do each of you covet?

Good idea for a discussion thread. Finally something of this nature that avoids a brand war :)

Personally I've been shooting Canon SLRs for about 7 years (I use a 40D these days). I have a few L zooms & primes that I really enjoy.

One of the reasons I got into Canon in the first place was the adaptability of other lens systems. I've got a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon (C/Y mount, adapted). It's my 2nd or 3rd most used lens. I'm really hoping Zeiss will release a ZE version.

An autofocus 85mm f/1.4 would be nice, but my 1.8 is really Good Enough. Canon's entire prime lineup below 85mm is in serious need of a reboot though (with the exception of all the new II series Ls).

One of the things that has bugged me a lot with the EF mount is that no pancake lenses were available natively (Pentax users get the big win here). Well, Voigtlander just released a 40mm f/2 Ultron pancake in native EF mount with electronic coupling, so I think that's next on my list (though admittedly it probably won't be able to replace my 50mm ZE Planar).

Other than that, what's on my dream list? Rangefinder lenses that I'll never be able to mount on a camera with a mirror box:

Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 Nokton
Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 Nokton
Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Heliar (rectilnear non-retrofocus ultrawide!)

Sony's autofocus 500mm mirror lens (along with the stabilized body to go with it) is also cause of some envy...

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
All of those lenses are razor sharp, hard to go wrong. I've seen some super shots coming from the Siggie 105mm from LordV (Brian Valentine). It's an outstanding lens. I use the biggie brother Siggie 150mm myself, but it's a different beast altogether (heavier and more cumbersome, takes a lot of practice to use well imho). It's far better to go a shorter focal length macro lens when starting out.

Dave

This sigma 105 has very quickly become my absolute favorite lens. I must say you are posting some very incredible shots as well.

As I said I don't know if I could tell the difference between them but by most accounts the Canon was the superior lens of the bunch even if by just a hair. Just makes me want to try it at some point.

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
I shoot Canon these days, but used to use Nikon back in the film days and early digital. I wouldn't mind the Nikon 14mm f/2.8D ED lens. Sounds like fun to use.

I chose Canon vs. Nikon this time around based upon the glass and not the camera bodies. Just as well, that D700 sounds awesome although I am happy with my 5D Mk II.

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I'm a Canon guy and while I don't particularly covet any Nikon lenses (except perhaps the 24-70 2.8), I do covet the D300s and D700 bodies. I like the way they feel and the way they're laid out.

In the end, I'm glad both companies push each other to produce top-notch equipment, benefitting everyone on each side. :)

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I'm Canon, by bride is Nikon;) Kind of a crazy family!

I lust for the 200-400 in Nikor Land. I just updated my Canon 70-200 2.8is to the V2 version...and it definitely steps up the competition in a piece of glass that Nikon had owned with their recent 70-200 update. We have both in the family, and there is very little difference now.

I'm also a big motion shooter...so I really want a set of cinema primes (Zeiss, maybe;)...or the mini cini primes for the new RED body look very cool. Unfortunately, as with all glass, you get what you pair for...and good cinema glass is spendy!

J

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Funny you asked, this caught my eye this morning. I didn't know it was physically possible to make a lens wider than f/1.

Oh yeah, they can get small. There were a set of f/.7 lenses made by Zeiss that were used on the moon by the Apollo crew. Same lenses Stanley Kubrick's crew shoehorned onto a movie camera to film parts of Barry Lyndon in only candlelight. It's pretty insane.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Nikon's 14-24 as a replacement for my 16-35L II. Wider, better range. Yum.

Pentax has some interesting pancake designs that I'd like to see Canon pick up - wide towards 50mm would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.