Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Hi

I am looking into a dslr camera for pictures and video, I am not a pro but I like to dig into stuff. I was told about the Nikon D3300 and so far it sounds very goo for the price but I was told by a friend who is a profesional photographer to go with Canon. Now, I haven't found a good equivalent to the Nikon in the same price range. I was told to look into Sony too.

I want to take portrait pictures and some videos for Youtube. I really like to get a good photography with depth of field.

Please let me know your opinions. Thank you.

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Hi

I am looking into a dslr camera for pictures and video, I am not a pro but I like to dig into stuff. I was told about the Nikon D3300 and so far it sounds very goo for the price but I was told by a friend who is a profesional photographer to go with Canon. Now, I haven't found a good equivalent to the Nikon in the same price range. I was told to look into Sony too.

I want to take portrait pictures and some videos for Youtube. I really like to get a good photography with depth of field.

I have the D3300 and i love it, does everything i ask of it and the battery is amazing.

Unless i've not seen the setting, it doesn't do video though? I could be wrong though

EDIT - Just googled it, yes i'm being a tit and it does do video.

I recommend Nikon, it just works and delivers beautiful results .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi

A good depth of field is achieved by using the right settings and good glass (low f number). So a 1.8 lens will achieve a shallower depth of field than a 3.5.

I started with the D3200 and the kit 18-55 mm lens. It was a nice little bundle and several of the semi pro photographers I know were impressed with the quality.

I'd recommend going to a proper camera shop and play with a few of the options within your budget and see what feels good to you.

Any DSLR you look at will be more than capable to do what you want. Are you planning on videoing yourself? If so look for a camera with an adjustable screen so you can see yourself. Like the Nikon D5500

dpreview is also a good website for comparing camera features. They also have a jargon buster to if you have things you find you don't understand.

http://www.dpreview.com/buying-guid..._source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
I have found the entry level Nikons to be a good value. I started with a D40 several years ago and upgraded to the 3200 last year. The 24mp can be a bit of an overkill, but I really get great resolution and the ability to do tighter cropping adjustments.
I find the extra money saved is put to good use for the glass you may need. I use the kit lenses, which work well, but also their 60mm Macro that I use for my flower photography. The 1.8 35mm is an exceptional value for a prime lens at a $200 price point and is good for portraits.
I did look at the 5500 but IMHO, having another piece that can be possibly broken off is not for me. But, as mentioned, if you need it for self filming, then you learn to deal with it.
If not already mentioned, spend a few extra bucks for clear (or UV) filters that will go on your lenses. $20 -30 protects that $200 or better lens from potential damage. Oh, and invest in a good tripod.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
If you're going to build your system around a tight budget, I'd seriously look at mirrorless offerings. Sony, Oly, Panny. You'll get a better bang for your buck and have a size and weight you'll tend to use far more.

I have pro friends as well. If I were to listen to their recommendations I'd be hauling around a medium format or a D810. I moved from 35 years with Nikon, up to a D800, to Fuji (not appropriate for video). Extremely pleased with my decision both in terms of IQ and a far more practical size/weight.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you're going to build your system around a tight budget, I'd seriously look at mirrorless offerings. Sony, Oly, Panny. You'll get a better bang for your buck and have a size and weight you'll tend to use far more.

I have pro friends as well. If I were to listen to their recommendations I'd be hauling around a medium format or a D810. I moved from 35 years with Nikon, up to a D800, to Fuji (not appropriate for video). Extremely pleased with my decision both in terms of IQ and a far more practical size/weight.

I hear this a lot, but the weight of my kit hasn't stopped me using it once. Don't assume what suits you will suit everyone else's circumstance.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I hear this a lot, but the weight of my kit hasn't stopped me using it once. Don't assume what suits you will suit everyone else's circumstance.
Perhaps you hear it a lot for a reason. I have my X100T with me whenever I'm outside the house. How about you?

Besides the simple fact I suggested the OP take a look at mirrorless. I drew zero qualitative conclusions. But that does not seem to prevent many from posting.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Perhaps you hear it a lot for a reason. I have my X100T with me whenever I'm outside the house. How about you?

Besides the simple fact I suggested the OP take a look at mirrorless. I drew zero qualitative conclusions. But that does not seem to prevent many from posting.
If I'm out doing photography I have my kit with me. If I'm not I don't. But I wouldn't take more photos if my kit was lighter.
I personally don't try to combine photography with other activities.
It depends on your shooting style I guess.
Each to their own.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
If I'm out doing photography I have my kit with me. If I'm not I don't. But I wouldn't take more photos if my kit was lighter.
I personally don't try to combine photography with other activities.
It depends on your shooting style I guess.
Each to their own.
I'm not so fortunate that opportunities for great shots suddenly appear when I happen to decide to do photography.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
I have a Sony a6000 that I love. It's compact but takes amazing shots. I can't compare it to Nikons or Canons, which I've never used, but my experience so far has been really positive. I don't know a whole lot about photography, so it lets me experiment with the settings and learn more as I go, but it also has a good auto mode that I can just set and shoot. I got mine refurbished for under $700 with two kit lenses (I think from Newegg).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.