Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I currently have a Nikon N55 (have had it for 3 or 4 years....can't remember). I love this camera as it has complemented my skills (or lack of skills) as an amateur/hobbyist photographer. This camera came with the 28-80mm Nikkor lens. I am thinking of buying the following lens but am unsure if it will work with this camera:
Nikon Autofocus 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikkor SLR Camera Lens
Does anyone know if this lens will work with my N55? I live near some mountains now and near the Rio Grande so I'm looking for a lens to zoom in more than I can now and for a not-so-high-price. That is why I'd like to get this one.

I'm also looking at buying a DSLR Nikon (the D50) by the end of this year. I'd like to buy the body only as it is cheaper but want to know if these lenses will work on the D50 (the 28-80 I have now and the 70-300 I am thinking of buying). Anyone know the answer to this?

And the final question is about the Nikon Speedlight Flashes. Are there any that will work on both the N55 I have now and the D50 I plan on purchasing in the future?

By the way, if you are one of those experiencing the autofocus problems associated with the Nikon N55's, they are now offering to fix it for free. Mine has started doing this every so often that is why I am looking to go digital in the near future. Here is the link:

http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/n55.html

Thanks!

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The 28-80 and 70-300 lenses have a regular Nikkor mount, but avoid the DX lenses. The Speedlight flashes also use a regular mount, although some features seem to be limited to Nikon's digital cameras.

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
I know the D50 is sold with a "G" series lens, so the Nikon 70-300 that you are looking at buy WILL work. I believe the N55 will also accept G series lenses as well. A "G" series lens doesn't have an aperture ring, but rather it is controlled by the camera controls. You can use "D" series lenses on either body without any problem. If you are going to keep shooting film and digital, keep in mind that DX lenses are for digital use. Some will work on film bodies, but there will be some vignetting.

The SB-600 and SB-800 will also work with the D50.

Happy shooting,

Mike

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
revfife said:
BTW if you are in the market for a D50. Amazon has an excellent buy.
D50, 28-80 G lens, free 256SD card for $560 with free shipping.

Thanks for the info, though I'm not going to purchase one just yet. When I do I'll probably just get the body to save some money.....that's part of the reason I'm inquiring about lenses that will work with my current camera and the future one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You will want one new lens if you get the d50

Jovian9 said:
Thanks for the info, though I'm not going to purchase one just yet. When I do I'll probably just get the body to save some money.....that's part of the reason I'm inquiring about lenses that will work with my current camera and the future one.

Yes, you CAN use all of your old SLR lenese on the new digital D50 body but you will almost certainly want at least one new lens to use on the D50.

The basic rule with Nikon Lenses is easy just remember the following:

(1) The Digital bodies use 24mm wide CCD sensors which are smaller than the width of the 35mm film frame. Notice the 36 is 1.5X 24

(2) The new "digital" lenses, the DX type, have an image circle equal to the diagonal of the DX sized (24mm wide) CCD chip. THese lenses wil phyically mount on a film camera but the corners of the film frame will be dark The degree of darkenng varies

(3) Lenses made for 35mm film produce a large image circle but the digital sensor "sees" only the central part of the projected image. the result is a slight "crop" over what a 35mm film frame. The "crop" has the effect of a 1.5X zoom.

So your 50mm lens is "noraml" on your film body but is a moderate telephoto on a digital body. This is mostly OK except that your 35mm wide angle now acts like a 52mm. So if you buy a digital body you will want to add a very wide lens to you kit. Something like the 18-55mm zoom. Yes you will want an 18mm lens as it will act like a 27mm. Note that the 18-55 can not be used on a film body.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
ChrisA said:
Yes, you CAN use all of your old SLR lenese on the new digital D50 body but you will almost certainly want at least one new lens to use on the D50.

The basic rule with Nikon Lenses is easy just remember the following:

(1) The Digital bodies use 24mm wide CCD sensors which are smaller than the width of the 35mm film frame. Notice the 36 is 1.5X 24

(2) The new "digital" lenses, the DX type, have an image circle equal to the diagonal of the DX sized (24mm wide) CCD chip. THese lenses wil phyically mount on a film camera but the corners of the film frame will be dark The degree of darkenng varies

(3) Lenses made for 35mm film produce a large image circle but the digital sensor "sees" only the central part of the projected image. the result is a slight "crop" over what a 35mm film frame. The "crop" has the effect of a 1.5X zoom.

So your 50mm lens is "noraml" on your film body but is a moderate telephoto on a digital body. This is mostly OK except that your 35mm wide angle now acts like a 52mm. So if you buy a digital body you will want to add a very wide lens to you kit. Something like the 18-55mm zoom. Yes you will want an 18mm lens as it will act like a 27mm. Note that the 18-55 can not be used on a film body.

Awesome info.....very useful.
I'm definitely going to get the 70-300mm lens for my N55 before I even consider buying the D50. I have a decent SLR camera right now so I feel like I need to get more use out of it and get familiar with another lens prior to getting a new camera.
When I do purchase the D50, if I am willing to spend the extra $100 I'll get the kit with the 18-55mm lens. It looks like if I were to buy that after I already have the camera the total package would cost me b/t $100-$150 more than just getting it together. Although one more lens question: what about this lens instead of the 18-55mm:

Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical Macro Ultra Zoom Digital Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras

I could probably search for this but since I'm posting I'll ask: does the D50 shoot in RAW format? I've been reading a lot in these forums that RAW is the best format to be able to shoot in (digitally) b/c it provides you with more to work with once you have it on the computer. Also, anyone with the D50 have any problems using RAW with iPhoto or Aperture?

Thanks for all the help. I feel that with the info you all are providing me and the research I have done and will continue to do.....that by the time I make my purchase I'll definitely make the right one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
look past the basic specs

Jovian9 said:
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical Macro Ultra Zoom Digital Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras

28mm is not very wide on a D50. You might find yourself trying to backup through a wall if shoting indoors. The other number that caught my eye is "6.3" Gosh that s-l-o-w.! And what does oneshoot with a 300mm slow lens? Does the lens have a built-in tripod mount? On the D50 you'd need the tripod even in bright sun light

Also older Nikon bodies don't autofocus with lens slower than f/5.6. That may be why Nikon doesn ot make lenses that slow. BUt then 6.3 is close to 5.6

There are thngs to concider other then the zoom range. For example what kind of focus motor does the lens have, or does it have on e at all. the 18-55 nikon kit lens has a rather slow motor in it. the Nikon 18-70 has a very nice silent wave motor that works much better. the 18-55 has a rotaing filter ring and a usless, thin plastic focus ring. I'm not saying what to buy just to look past the zoom range and f-stop specs.

Overall a wide lens is more usfulthan an extream telephoto

Jovian9 said:
Also, anyone with the D50 have any problems using RAW with iPhoto or Aperture?

The complaints we do here (read the Aperture forum at apple.com) are that many people don't like the result of Apple's RAW conversion and prefer the "look" that Adobe or the Nikon software gives. If you can see the difference between diffent lines of Fuji and Kodak film then you might see the differents in RAW conversion oftware. But if all 200 speed print film looks the same to you then you won't care. If you do care you can always do your RAW conversion in Nikon or Adbobe and imort the TIFF file to iPhoto

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
ChrisA said:
There are thngs to concider other then the zoom range. For example what kind of focus motor does the lens have, or does it have on e at all. the 18-55 nikon kit lens has a rather slow motor in it. the Nikon 18-70 has a very nice silent wave motor that works much better. the 18-55 has a rotaing filter ring and a usless, thin plastic focus ring. I'm not saying what to buy just to look past the zoom range and f-stop specs.

Overall a wide lens is more usfulthan an extream telephoto
agreed. the 18-70 is a great kit lens...it's relatively fast but it also has s quick and silent motor. i have a cheap 70-300 ED lens that isn't that bad for the quick hike...it's relatively light and i wouldn't be (too) upset if it got damaged...but its motor is soooo slow that i hate trying to focus with it.

another great thing about single-focus lenses, like a 65mm lens, is that it forces you to move and be an active photographer rather than a static one...just my 2cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.