Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I got my shiny, new Nikon Z6 and took some pictures. Not having an XQD card reader, I just plugged the camera into my 2017 MBPro and expected to load them at USB-C speeds. Nope.

Apple didn't see the camera at all. I download the Nikon Capture/View NX software, and that found the camera and the images. Great. I bring them over to the pictures directory.

Then, I drag the .NEF files onto Apple Photos. Still no joy. The images show up, but only as watermark files (grey triangle with an exclamation point in the middle). I cannot open or edit them.

Preview will not open them.
Finder shows them as "Affinity Publisher" files, and will not show previews either.
Pixelmator Pro doesn't like them either. All of these applications will open RAW files from other Nikon camera I have owned (well, haven't tested Pixelmator Pro on old RAW files).

Affinity Photos, On1 RAW 2019, and Luminar 3 all open and view them correctly. Of course, so does the Nikon software.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I got my shiny, new Nikon Z6 and took some pictures. Not having an XQD card reader, I just plugged the camera into my 2017 MBPro and expected to load them at USB-C speeds. Nope.

Apple didn't see the camera at all. I download the Nikon Capture/View NX software, and that found the camera and the images. Great. I bring them over to the pictures directory.

Then, I drag the .NEF files onto Apple Photos. Still no joy. The images show up, but only as watermark files (grey triangle with an exclamation point in the middle). I cannot open or edit them.

Preview will not open them.
Finder shows them as "Affinity Publisher" files, and will not show previews either.
Pixelmator Pro doesn't like them either. All of these applications will open RAW files from other Nikon camera I have owned (well, haven't tested Pixelmator Pro on old RAW files).

Affinity Photos, On1 RAW 2019, and Luminar 3 all open and view them correctly. Of course, so does the Nikon software.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I am running on a MBP 2017, Mojave latest beta and z6 images are able to be seen in preview and in Photos. This support was I believe added back in late December for Mojave. What OS are you running?

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
The ability to view RAW files on a Mac with an Apple application such as Preview is a function of the macOS. Have you upgraded to Mojave? Apple lists the Z6 as being supported by Mojave.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
oops, sorry.

Yes, I am running Mojave and updated as of this morning. I am NOT running beta versions.

I saw the Z6 was listed as compatible which is what has me confused about the whole thing.

I did not alter the color space from the default on the camera and am saving 14-bit raw in lossless compressed format.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
well it is definitely my Mac. I was able to test RAW files from another Z6 that were successfully loaded on his Mac and no joy.
I can view TIFFs and JPEGs from the Z6, just not RAW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.