Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I don't even think it's a good idea.
It's an ethical idea, as ninty advise that young'uns shouldn't use the 3d. So why not make one without 3d.
But I can't see it selling.

I have a 3DS XL, I bought it because of the rave reviews but I find myself offended by the resolution as time goes on. I mean, it is horrible.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I don't even think it's a good idea.
It's an ethical idea, as ninty advise that young'uns shouldn't use the 3d. So why not make one without 3d.
But I can't see it selling.

I have a 3DS XL, I bought it because of the rave reviews but I find myself offended by the resolution as time goes on. I mean, it is horrible.

Well ethical would be not to market any video games to little kids. Let them use their imagination. That unrealistic thought aside....I can see this being bought. Lots of families with a bunch of kids have more than one system, why not have a cheap, made for the little ones one?

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Well ethical would be not to market any video games to little kids. Let them use their imagination. That unrealistic thought aside....I can see this being bought. Lots of families with a bunch of kids have more than one system, why not have a cheap, made for the little ones one?

All children should play video games, it makes them happy :D

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

Seriously - playing games means you can't use your imagination? I'd say the imagination part of your brain is involved in great games and it expands your viewpoint to some crazy, delightful and creative things that only Nintendo can do.

A balanced life is what is needed for all age ranges from kids to adults. So yes all humans should play outside whether it is hiking or a sandbox, but balancing that with video games is not unethical - are you trying to be a troll, or just doing so accidentally :)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Seriously - playing games means you can't use your imagination? I'd say the imagination part of your brain is involved in great games and it expands your viewpoint to some crazy, delightful and creative things that only Nintendo can do.

A balanced life is what is needed for all age ranges from kids to adults. So yes all humans should play outside whether it is hiking or a sandbox, but balancing that with video games is not unethical - are you trying to be a troll, or just doing so accidentally :)

How is giving my opinion being a troll? Just cause you have a different opinion of someone is not trolling.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
How is giving my opinion being a troll? Just cause you have a different opinion of someone is not trolling.

Coming into a gaming forum and saying you are unethical to allow children to play games? I think you are in the wrong part of town ...

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Coming into a gaming forum and saying you are unethical to allow children to play games? I think you are in the wrong part of town ...
I never said that. I said marketing videos games to a 5 year old might be. And I also said that was unrealistic. So again, how is that being a troll?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I never said that. I said marketing videos games to a 5 year old might be. And I also said that was unrealistic. So again, how is that being a troll?

I must have misread or misunderstood your writing - my apologies - once again I said accidentally on purpose, because I only assumed that some wire was not connecting on my end - thanks for clarifying.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
If I didn't have a 3DS already I would have picked this up instead. The 3D is fun but it just gives me headaches after thirty minutes so I have to turn it off anyway.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
3D gives me a splitting headache, plus my vision in one eye makes it difficult for me to see it, if I can buy a 2D model that plays 3DS games I'm in! I'll be ordering this once it comes out, then I can play the few 3DS games I wanted to play.

I know I can turn off 3D on the 3DS but honestly if I can save some cash and get a 2D version its pretty awesome in my book. I know I can't be alone in hating all that is 3D :p

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
3D gives me a splitting headache, plus my vision in one eye makes it difficult for me to see it, if I can buy a 2D model that plays 3DS games I'm in! I'll be ordering this once it comes out, then I can play the few 3DS games I wanted to play.

I know I can turn off 3D on the 3DS but honestly if I can save some cash and get a 2D version its pretty awesome in my book. I know I can't be alone in hating all that is 3D :p

I feel the same way about 3D.

I just don't do enough handheld gaming for the 3DS to be interesting to me in the first place. But if I did, I would probably opt for the 2D option, although the form factor is really terrible.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
That is disgusting.

I get what they're trying to do - a cheaper system that plays 3DS/DS games, achieved by cutting a few features (3D...), but the design is terrible. The clamshell design protected the screens, whereas these are going to get scratched by its target market of kids, and take up way more space in a bag than needed. They should have taken the standard 3DS and simply stripped the parallax screen out and maybe changed the plastics.

Nintendo, the 80s called and want their stuff back. Oh, and I shudder to imagine the circle pro accessory for this one...

That wouldn't have helped to get the price down and the hinge breaking is much more of concern with children handling it than scratches on the displays. Also, nothing wrong with a little 80's retro look.

Rubbish. This system is for me, because I am physically incapable of seeing 3D due to a defect in one eye. It's not just for children under 7 (and why are you buying them a console in the first place?), it's for people who want a cheaper unit and no 3D gimmick for whatever reason.

Yes the lack of hinge is more durable, but at the expense of making the screens incredibly vulnerable to scratches. I'd rather have a hinge that may, or may not, break, over an exposed screen that will get scratched.

Mark my words, this will end up like the last refresh of the Wii, ignored.

See, this isn't the system for you after all. What you need is a 3DS where you turn the 3D off.

And (possibly worst of all!) it's MONO.
It's similar to how we got that PSP "street" version here, without wifi or stereo speakers. Sometimes I wonder what goes on in the minds of these manufacturers.

It supports stereo with headphones. See it from a positive angle, maybe this will give an incentive for kids to use headphones when playing on the train instead of annoying the rest of us by using the speakers.

Also totally not sold that there is a massive untapped market of under 7s. At that age I was running round the garden and wanting a bike.

Where you young in the 50's?

I still prefer the 3DS.

Me too, but then I actually think the 3D effect is awesome. I can't relate to everyone who claims to get headaches from it. I don't, I guess my brain is just more developed :p

Those suggestions would require entirely different software, the point of the 2DS is to be 100% compatible with the 3DS. I hope that when and if Nintendo actually makes a proper tablet it will have a more sleek design.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I have either returned or sold my 3DS and 3DS XL because I just didn't like to form or how it felt in my hand. I'm actually digging the idea of the 2DS, and may take a shot at one for myself. I would prefer a screen closer to that of the 3DS XL, but maybe we will see a 2DS XL in the future.

As for the DS hinge design, I really really wish Nintendo would get away from it, and maybe the 2DS is a sign of things to come.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Also totally not sold that there is a massive untapped market of under 7s. At that age I was running round the garden and wanting a bike.

I think you underestimate how much parents these days use electronic devices as electronic babysitters. I have a friend who has a three year old who has had his own iphone (granted, it was her old one) since he was like 1 1/2 - 2 years old. All the time they are letting him play with their kindle as well.

There's a market for kids under 7. Parents these days find these devices way too convenient for keeping their kids occupied.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I think you underestimate how much parents these days use electronic devices as electronic babysitters. I have a friend who has a three year old who has had his own iphone (granted, it was her old one) since he was like 1 1/2 - 2 years old. All the time they are letting him play with their kindle as well.

There's a market for kids under 7. Parents these days find these devices way too convenient for keeping their kids occupied.

Seriously? A one-and-a-half year old with an iPhone? Deary me, parenting has gone down hill. I don't have kids (yet), but my wife and I would never ever let a child near a device like that until much later.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Seriously? A one-and-a-half year old with an iPhone? Deary me, parenting has gone down hill. I don't have kids (yet), but my wife and I would never ever let a child near a device like that until much later.

My Son (now almost 4) has had an iPad since 18 months (iPad 1 at first and now an iPad mini). I don't consider it bad parenting if used in moderation and under supervision. Then again, we don't use it as an "electronic babysitter", We are there with him and interacting with him while his is playing. There are many useful and educational apps on the iPad for toddlers and children in general. We are always getting comments on how advanced our son is for his age.

I don't see a problem with my Son playing a DS when he gets a little bit older and more advanced, but again it will be supervised and in moderation.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

My cousin gave his 2 year old an iPod touch a few years ago. Of course the device was broken after a few weeks. She's 5 now and gets to use her parents iPad for videos and games... but it's scary how reliant some parents are on those machines, how expensive they are for that purpose and how easy they break.

I had an Amiga at 6 and started toying around with programming at 7. If anything kids need real computers to learn on, not toys.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I've had access to a computer since about age 8, and video games from age 12 (granted, I was homeschooled so the computer was used a LOT).

I personally can't stand that people my age are addicted to video games... I got a wii a few years back, and that is still all I have. I don't care for FPS games or Halo or whatnot. Seems pretty stupid and a waste of time. Of course my opinion on Mario Kart is a bit different :D

I learned to use a word processor and troubleshoot basic computer problems by age 11 (pretty pathetic, right? :) ). And now I've designed 3 websites, am working on getting a degree, and repairing macbooks for a hobby.
I do admit that having a computer really helped spark my interest in electronics. Having to troubleshoot random issues, and just wanting to know how stuff worked was really interesting to me. That and having a system I could just mess around with was awesome! I remember making little MS paint docs as a kid and loving it (until the computer was sent in and reformatted. I learned the hard way to backup stuff). However my parents were pretty strict as to what I could do and how much free time I had on the thing.

Anyways, back to the nintendo! I think that the 2DS looks mildly awful (especially the wedge design. I'm really starting to hate that). I wouldn't mind owning one, but I've never owned anything in the DS series... I'm a sucker for 80's games though, so I'd have to get super mario and stuff on it :)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Let's find out how these are when they show up in retail.

The pics, to me, make it look like it is the size of a regular iPad... :eek:

I thinking of it as the 3DS(regular), that's all the way open. Give or take some(I'm thinking thicker and flatter, since there isn't a hinge)

That's just what gut is saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.