Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Apple should buy this Company and you've got a new Cashcow!

I've been saying this for years, merge the Console line with AppleTV, and benefit from some great Intellectual Property that Nintendo doesn't seem to be utilizing and managing well. It's a decent fit, neither Apple nor Nintendo plan on their set-top-box to be hardware competitors with XB/PS and both could benefit from a merger of sorts. Apple gains some greatly under utilized titles (Zelda, Metroid, etc.) Nintendo console would benefit from likely folding into TVos and the developers that already develop for that ecosystem. Ditch the forced hand-held that the Wii-U has and make a good controller case for iPod touch/iphone and you'd have a much better controller scheme. This could also mean more game developers for Mac OS X.

A deal this big might even perk the ears of third-party developers that have all but abandoned Nintendo at this point.

Edit: As others have said; many of these benefits could also apply if Apple+Nintendo joined into a tight & mutually beneficial partnership.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
This is not something to be hyped about.

Nintendo has some of the most valuable IPs for any company, so don't expect Mario, its biggest intellectual property, to be watered down by mobile or other platforms.

If Mario's coming to mobile, it'll probably be something like Pokemon Shuffle on iOS.

Won't be the Mario game we all know and love.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This is not something to be hyped about.

Nintendo has some of the most valuable IPs for any company, so don't expect Mario, its biggest intellectual property, to be watered down by mobile or other platforms.

If Mario's coming to mobile, it'll probably be something like Pokemon Shuffle on iOS.

Won't be the Mario game we all know and love.
I dont see how Mario Kart would be watered down by mobile?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I dont see how Mario Kart would be watered down by mobile?
Control for one. All Nintendo games have the tightest and most responsive controls. If one doesn't do well playing a Nintendo game, he/she cannot blame the control. To maintain quality, Nintendo must have complete control over hardware and software, like Apple does.

I believe console gaming is generally in a downward trend, with Nintendo in the most dire position. I would hate for Nintendo to turn into a Sega, but unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat with the NX, it seems going mobile is inevitable sadly. I have all the consoles. The only one I really play with is Nintendo. In fact, I just dusted off my Gameboy Advance SP and just started playing Metroid Zero Mission again :)

I do hope if/when Nintendo goes mobile, they'll release a controller and make that a requirement to play their titles, to at least preserve the quality in the controls.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Watch it be Morshu from the not-well-known Zelda game Link: The Faces of Evil.
latest

Reactions: MacMikePro

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
I would love Nintendo to go the way of Sega and produce their IP and content on smartphones. They can even produce a specific controller for the limited iPhone models, wouldn't be hard at all for them. There's a massive cash cow to be milked when you compare the sales of smartphones vs 3DS devices... One day it'll happen.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
So many comments suggesting that Apple should buy Nintendo.. obviously oblivious to the Japanese attitude at business. Nintendo has got loads of cash and would gladly commit harakiri instead of getting bought by Americans.
From what I've seen, this is probably true.
[doublepost=1454442301][/doublepost]
I would love Nintendo to go the way of Sega and produce their IP and content on smartphones. They can even produce a specific controller for the limited iPhone models, wouldn't be hard at all for them. There's a massive cash cow to be milked when you compare the sales of smartphones vs 3DS devices... One day it'll happen.
No, I think they make more money the way they do it now. They get to sell expensive hardware and lock people into their own ecosystem instead of Apple's. They've got their own online store and everything, just like Apple's but all their own. This offers them more control over the experience (which BTW is better than what Apple provides for gaming) and more opportunity for profit. And it's a much better long-term solution. Making iOS games, they'll eventually lose their brand name like Sega did. Nobody cares about Sega anymore unless they're 90s kids and are nostalgic.

Also, consider that an iOS game sells for at most $5, while a Nintendo game sells for around $50. Mario Kart 8 sales are in the millions.
[doublepost=1454442883][/doublepost]
Well, they know they should give us Link or Mario. So my money is on Kirby.
Or one of the stupid Koopalings from the newer, not-so-good games.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
But why? Nintendo already make a handheld and a home console. If you enjoy their games - buy them and their consoles. A new iPhone alone costs more than a Wii U, a 3DS, and all the major games for each one combined. They've never been interested in adding media playing abilities to their systems (no Nintendo-made system has shipped with a DVD player for example) so what could Apple provide for Nintendo? Their systems sell great worldwide... except for the Wii U of course.

I just personally would like to be able to play Nintendo classics on my iPhone/iPad, and while I'm out and about, without having to bring an additional gaming device. I already have my phone as my base device that I bring everywhere with me.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I do buy their consoles, still have every one hooked up and play with my son quite often. But their recent efforts feel like poor quality, and compared to an Apple TV it's relatively expensive. Also, Nintendo does a terrible job at the ecosystem / online stuff and apps. Even the Wii U's UI and OS feel pretty terrible. I'd imagine a partnership of some sort where Apple would give Nintendo some prominence in the tvOS app store, or a dedicated section of some sort.

You might think Apple sucks at interfaces but they're a hit in Japan, the 3DS has a freemium type modification tool "Badge Arcade" that is used to get graphics to drop onto the menu. It's simple, brings in a lot of money, and has an addictive quality to it. You might not like it, it might not be Apple-like but it works well for Nintendo and the people who buy their systems. And even so - it's a menu. Folk buy games consoles to play games or consume media on them. Using a minimalist interface (come to think of it - how much did Apple copy the Nintendo Wii's "channel" interface) isn't a big seller.

Which recent efforts seem poor, hardware or software?
[doublepost=1454456096][/doublepost]?

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Firstly, have they already released that Miitomo app or whatever it's called ? ... Secondly, im almost over this Nintendo breaking into smartphone games malarkey.. (Yawn) I wish they'd just get on with it already, as this news is getting dragged out.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I believe console gaming is generally in a downward trend, with Nintendo in the most dire position. I would hate for Nintendo to turn into a Sega, but unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat with the NX, it seems going mobile is inevitable sadly. I have all the consoles. The only one I really play with is Nintendo. In fact, I just dusted off my Gameboy Advance SP and just started playing Metroid Zero Mission again :)

Incorrect. Console gaming is expanding. Each generation of consoles has more sales than the previous. The PS4 and Xbox One are ahead of their predecessors. The 3DS is mirroring the DS in hardware sales, but software sales are more. Nintendo is one of the richest companies in Japan, and is making lots in the new Amiibo market too. Why would they go the way of Sega?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Incorrect. Console gaming is expanding. Each generation of consoles has more sales than the previous. The PS4 and Xbox One are ahead of their predecessors. The 3DS is mirroring the DS in hardware sales, but software sales are more. Nintendo is one of the richest companies in Japan, and is making lots in the new Amiibo market too. Why would they go the way of Sega?
I read a recent article saying that developer interests are shifting toward PC development. I certainly hope Nintendo will make a great comeback. I have both Xboxes and PS3/4/Vita, but I really won't miss any of them much should they fade away. Nintendo I will miss big time.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I read a recent article saying that developer interests are shifting toward PC development. I certainly hope Nintendo will make a great comeback. I have both Xboxes and PS3/4/Vita, but I really won't miss any of them much should they fade away. Nintendo I will miss big time.

Development is spreading to cover as many systems as possible. Dev kits are PC-based, so we're going to see more PC games as the cost of development rises (though personally I find the cost is lowering, it's easier to make a profit now then it ever has been (I've owned a game dev studio for 15 years)). The future is fewer exclusives, not a shift towards PC development.

You speak like Nintendo is vanishing? It's quite bizarre. If the 3DS was a failure, if they weren't expanding their market, if they didn't have very strong software sales, if they didn't make billions from Amiibo toys alone, I'd expect them to vanish.
Did you know Nintendo recently sold 26 million copies of a full-priced game (£40), that they also make a profit on the hardware that the games run on too.

(I don't even develop for Nintendo systems. I just don't like FUD :))

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Development is spreading to cover as many systems as possible. Dev kits are PC-based, so we're going to see more PC games as the cost of development rises (though personally I find the cost is lowering, it's easier to make a profit now then it ever has been (I've owned a game dev studio for 15 years)). The future is fewer exclusives, not a shift towards PC development.

You speak like Nintendo is vanishing? It's quite bizarre. If the 3DS was a failure, if they weren't expanding their market, if they didn't have very strong software sales, if they didn't make billions from Amiibo toys alone, I'd expect them to vanish.
Did you know Nintendo recently sold 26 million copies of a full-priced game (£40), that they also make a profit on the hardware that the games run on too.

(I don't even develop for Nintendo systems. I just don't like FUD :))
It's from reading about Nintendo as a business that it's all gloom and doom. Wasn't it just today they announced a big drop in profit? Believe me I'm rooting for Nintendo, and I certainly hope they don't start porting their titles over to mobile which will probably mean the start of the end for them. I was once a Sega fan as much as Nintendo. Since they went mobile I couldn't care less for them. Playing Sonic on the iPhone (I bought most of them) is absolute torture. I have six Nintendo systems here along with a bunch of Amiibos :D And I'm going to pickup the new 3DS 20th anniversary Pokémon edition, having already bought the new 3DS XL since release.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You might think Apple sucks at interfaces but they're a hit in Japan, the 3DS has a freemium type modification tool "Badge Arcade" that is used to get graphics to drop onto the menu. It's simple, brings in a lot of money, and has an addictive quality to it. You might not like it, it might not be Apple-like but it works well for Nintendo and the people who buy their systems. And even so - it's a menu. Folk buy games consoles to play games or consume media on them. Using a minimalist interface (come to think of it - how much did Apple copy the Nintendo Wii's "channel" interface) isn't a big seller.

Which recent efforts seem poor, hardware or software?
[doublepost=1454456096][/doublepost]
?

I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan, have always enjoyed their consoles and first party titles. But I find the hardware, UI and app distribution quite poor. Maybe it's from being spoiled by high quality hardware from apple, but the low resolution resistive touch screens on my 3DS and Wii U Gamepad feel terrible to use.

The UI seems so messy on the consoles. Honestly I'd love to see a very simple and clean looking thing like the Apple TV, with having a list of games and just choosing something to play.

Software/distribution: Purchasing apps digitally (games really) is an absolutely terrible experience. I've had some I purchased online and had to redeem on the console. I can't believe what kind of process it is, entering IDs, passwords, unique codes from the purchase, etc. All of it for the purchase to be then tied/connected to the single piece of hardware and not my Nintendo ID. We have a Wii and a Wii U in the house. have you ever seen the process to transfer digital games from one console to the other? I can't imagine what it would be like if the Wii stopped working and I had no way to get games off. This is where it feels Apple really excels - purchase a piece of media, app, game, whatever, it's then tied to your account and you can access it anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, I just feel like Apple could excel at building the ecosystem and platform, and let Nintendo do what it does best, first party titles (and some excellent bluetooth game controllers).

Reactions: MacMikePro

MacMikePro

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
I know Nintendo is similar to Apple in the way that they want to create and control their hardware/consoles and software. But imagine if they partnered with Apple, say with something like the Apple TV? Let Apple build the hardware and support the app ecosystem, and let Nintendo build the controller and develop their first party games.

You'd have a huge install base for Nintendo to hit with their games (where I imagine they generate most of their revenue) and it would make Apple a real big player in the gaming market. Would be such a big win for both sides. Can only hope.

I've been saying this exact same thing for many years and I agree 100%. A lot of hardcore gamers like to disagree with the thought, but once you understand the philosophy of both companies they really do have SO much in common and it would work beautifully if it were to ever happen. Because each company can bring what the other company lacks, hell they already share the same competitors. But the obvious problem is that I don't think either company would even want or care to do something like that, which sucks, but you never know.

Reactions: profets
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.