Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I'm trying to set up file sharing on my osx box, and it tells me to activate "personal file sharing" in sharing aera of the system preferences. The only problem is it's not there. Anyone have any idea why? I'm running 10.2.4 sever.

Attachments

• picture copy.jpg
    picture copy.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 361

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
thats weird..mines there...check it out:

Attachments

• sharing.jpg
    sharing.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 274

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I have!

I've re-installed it twice. Does it have something to do with it being the server edition? I don't undersand it.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Are you logged in as an Admin. if your not alot of those choices disappear...

Nevermind i'm a moron who didn't read the part about it being 10.2.4 server

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Re: I have!

Originally posted by jethroted
I've re-installed it twice. Does it have something to do with it being the server edition? I don't undersand it.

I'm not an expert, but I would think it definitely has to do with it being the server version.

There is probably a more advanced file sharing interface for the server version.

(This is just an educated guess...)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Did you install the BSD subsystem? That might be the problem here. It also could be OS X Server, but I don't think so.

JW

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
If I remember correctly, all file sharing type of stuff is located in the Server Admin app. It's either in your Applications or Utilities folder.

enoch

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
You control shares and access using the server utils. (Server Settings, Workgroup Manager, NetInfo)

You are either:
An unpriviledged user trying to Admin
Very New
Using a pirated copy of server (this is all covered in the docs)
Not trying

If you are running a pirated version of server, why? It would appear that it would be easier for you to use client like most people who aren't administrating servers.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Well it is a pirate copy of the software. I just wanted to see what it was about. I probably should go back to the client since I don't run a server. But why would a pirate copy matter? If it's made from a disk image, and it's all there, then why is stuff missing? Shouldn't it act like a full working version?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Well it is a pirate copy of the software. I just wanted to see what it was about. I probably should go back to the client since I don't run a server. But why would a pirate copy matter? If it's made from a disk image, and it's all there, then why is stuff missing? Shouldn't it act like a full working version?

It is acting like a full version.

File sharing in server is handled by server admin apps, not the pref pane.

Nothing is missing, you're just trying to do server tasks in a client way.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Sharing OS X Server

To configure your server, you must use the "Workgroup Manager"-app. To start the services (all of 'em) you must use the "Server Settings"-app.
You must be the admin user ofcourse, and if you're not familiar with OS X Server, or AppleShare IP (or even NT server for that matter) then you will need some time getting used to setting up users/groups and sharepoints. It's good fun learning though!

In my opinion there is no harm in TESTING software before buying. But you must buy software if it fits your needs. Especially Apple's own gr8 software...

So go ahead, and enjoy.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Ya, I think I'm going to dump it. I don't really have any need to run the server OS. I just thought it might have some cool extras I could make use of. Back to the client for me.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Ya, I think I'm going to dump it. I don't really have any need to run the server OS. I just thought it might have some cool extras I could make use of. Back to the client for me.

Yeah, IF YOU HAVE THE APPS. There is software that goes along with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.