Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
For about a year i have had an issue with MacOS on my iMac. it began sometime during my use of Sierra. After a fresh boot, log out or log in, the OS would perform smooth as silk. After maybe a half hour things start to lag. Most noticeably Safari, Finder, and UI.
Safari will catch for fractions of a second and make my mouse jerk or cause a currently playing video (in safari, vlc, IINA) or animation to catch. Closing or opening a tab or refreshing a page in safari will almost always cause the catch.
Finder, with no rhyme or reason or cause, will lock up. Sort of. It wont allow me to click on anything in a Finder window but i can still use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate and also use Cmd+O to open files. I can fix the issue by either terminating Finder or clicking into Safari and back into a Finder window.
UI lag. This seems to happen after a half hour or so. The Preview app seems to really trigger it. After this half or so, moving any object around is very noticeably laggy and even causes a split second hitch in the movement of objects sometimes.
Now my first thought was, "i havent done a clean install for like the past 5 versions of OS X"... I thought i would wait for High Sierra to come out. Once 10.13.2 came out I did a complete reformat and clean install. I DID NOT RESTORE. I literally took note of everything I would need and installed everything fresh. The issue was still there!!! I started testing the guest account to see if the issue happened there. I would use the guest account for a few hours and everything remained butter smooth. nothing ever hitched. I took my curiosity a step further and took a Time Machine backup of the iMac and then put it on my MBP. My MBP never has or had any issues.
I dont have any crazy unknown apps or extensions on my mac that i could see causing these issues. Im wondering though if i can clean boot into my account. not just the guest account. and gradually activate apps.
Any ideas?

iMac 27inch late 2012 Currently running 10.13.2 17C205
3.4 GHz i7
32GB RAM
512 SSD
GTX 608MX 2GB

MBP 15inch mid 2015 same OS (TM restore from iMac)
2.5 GHz i7
16GB RAM
512 SSD
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Now my first thought was, "i havent done a clean install for like the past 5 versions of OS X"... I thought i would wait for High Sierra to come out. Once 10.13.2 came out I did a complete reformat and clean install. I DID NOT RESTORE. I literally took note of everything I would need and installed everything fresh. The issue was still there!!! I started testing the guest account to see if the issue happened there. I would use the guest account for a few hours and everything remained butter smooth. nothing ever hitched. I took my curiosity a step further and took a Time Machine backup of the iMac and then put it on my MBP. My MBP never has or had any issues.
I dont have any crazy unknown apps or extensions on my mac that i could see causing these issues. Im wondering though if i can clean boot into my account. not just the guest account. and gradually activate apps.

What really confuses me is that a clean install didn't fix it, but your guest account works normally.

When you did the clean install, did you first wipe the disk with Disk Utility, or did you just click "install macOS"?

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
What really confuses me is that a clean install didn't fix it, but your guest account works normally.

When you did the clean install, did you first wipe the disk with Disk Utility, or did you just click "install macOS"?

Erase and reformatted

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Very odd. Is there anything you migrated directly from your old account?
[doublepost=1516664604][/doublepost]Actually, when it is lagging, what does top (and or Activity Monitor) report?

I cant report what top or AM reports at the moment as i am experimenting with it for the thousandth time, but honestly nothing out of the ordinary. I have checked that many times. I would even compare it with my MBP.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I cant report what top or AM reports at the moment as i am experimenting with it for the thousandth time, but honestly nothing out of the ordinary. I have checked that many times. I would even compare it with my MBP.

Extremely weird. For now I'm out of ideas, but I'll pipe back in if I come up with anything - otherwise I hope somebody else might shine some light on this

Reactions: KingOfStuff

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Please read everything

He/she did. And it is not clear. Specifically:

I DID NOT RESTORE. I literally took note of everything I would need and installed everything fresh.

Nothing in the statement re: user data. Assuming just talking about programs/apps? If restored from backup your home account's Library folder, you might have copied over corrupt caches. Or excessively large ones: Safari caches drag the system down when one has never cleared them, has history setup to retain everything forever, etc.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Nothing in the statement re: user data. Assuming just talking about programs/apps? If restored from backup your home account's Library folder, you might have copied over corrupt caches. Or excessively large ones: Safari caches drag the system down when one has never cleared them, has history setup to retain everything forever, etc.

I agree with the fundamentals here, but it can't just be a Safari cache, since Finder and general UI is affected as well

Reactions: KingOfStuff

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
He/she did. And it is not clear. Specifically:

I dont understand how me saying "i did not restore" can bring your statement "if restored from backup...". So to clarify anyways... Not a single things was brought back from backup. Except for pictures and Music and even those were just added back from the external drive folder into the application. Also thank you for your clear statements that i could respond to.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
What's your network situation?
Have you tried stripping it to the bones?
Lots of network calls get sent asynchronously, which can leave you with annoying stutters.
Don't forget to reboot routers, modems, bridges etc.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
What's your network situation?
Have you tried stripping it to the bones?
Lots of network calls get sent asynchronously, which can leave you with annoying stutters.
Don't forget to reboot routers, modems, bridges etc.

Would that not cause the problems on my MBP and in the guest account? Either way... I live in an apartment complex that has a DIA 10G Fiber line coming in. It Run to 7 buildings that comes to approximately 280 apartments total. Each apartment has a 100M Ethernet connection. From that connection i have my personal Asus AC1900 which then feeds into a 16 port switch for me and my roommates to connect to. Not to mention our xbox's, tvs, printers, media players, and other things like that. I have recently rebooted my router about 2 weeks ago. I didnt think of that being a cause but even so, the issue didnt reside. I have not rebooted switches... I do not use wifi on my iMac

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I dont understand how me saying "i did not restore" can bring your statement "if restored from backup

He just meant that whilst he understood that you didn't restore your entire system from a backup, you could still have dragged back you Home folder from a saved copy and there are libraries in your Home Folder

Reactions: MacDawg

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
He just meant that whilst he understood that you didn't restore your entire system from a backup, you could still have dragged back you Home folder from a saved copy and there are libraries in your Home Folder

Oh ok i understand now. Thank You. BTW after staying up all night trying to find the culprit.. i think i may have pinpointed it. I was comparing running processes on my iMac and my MBP (as the MBP was restored from the iMac TM) when hitches started last night. There were only a few the MBP didnt have running. SABNZBD, Megaapp, and skype. There were a few others but all built in apps. Quit them all out one by one and after i stopped Skype everything seemed to return to normal. I ran my iMac for about an hour without restarting. Then restarted while making sure Skype would not come on. For the past 5 hours i have not had one hitch. Skype though??? why.... It makes sense why my MBP never had any hitches as i never run skype on it. going to keep my eye on it.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
not come on. For the past 5 hours i have not had one hitch. Skype though??? why.... It makes sense why my MBP never had any hitches as i never run skype on it. going to keep my eye on it.

But it doesn't make sense that Skype should freak out like that. I wonder what the underlying reason is if it is Skype.
[doublepost=1516720577][/doublepost]
But it doesn't make sense that Skype should freak out like that. I wonder what the underlying reason is if it is Skype.

I've started up Skype on my iMac with the latest update - could you share some details about how you've got Skype setup and running to see if I can recreate the issue?

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
[doublepost=1516720577][/doublepost]

I've started up Skype on my iMac with the latest update - could you share some details about how you've got Skype setup and running to see if I can recreate the issue?

Yea it makes no sense but everything has been smooth since. I am running Version 7.59 (37). I dont think ive touched any of the preferences in it. I only ever had it open because every once in a while i talk to friends with it. I do know that with this version, when you share screens with someone it makes the UI go to **** right away and eats cpu time.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yea it makes no sense but everything has been smooth since. I am running Version 7.59 (37). I dont think ive touched any of the preferences in it. I only ever had it open because every once in a while i talk to friends with it. I do know that with this version, when you share screens with someone it makes the UI go to **** right away and eats cpu time.

Have you got it hidden, minimised, in a different desktop, anything like that?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
All of those. On any occasion. I have another connected monitor. More often than any of the others it would be hidden though.

If the problem indeed does stem from Skype I'm insanely confused. Had it running for a while now and so far no effect. Has been hidden, logged in and with default Preferences.
Also just mental if that got through QA-testing

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
If the problem indeed does stem from Skype I'm insanely confused. Had it running for a while now and so far no effect. Has been hidden, logged in and with default Preferences.
Also just mental if that got through QA-testing

It would usually take a half hour to an hour for it to really show. From a restart anyways... I always had it launch on log in.
[doublepost=1516722971][/doublepost]
It would usually take a half hour to an hour for it to really show. From a restart anyways... I always had it launch on log in.

Also, after an hour or so, open a few images in the Preview app. Mine would always lag.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Had it open since I wrote it earlier, still nothing. I'll go have a shower, then bomb preview with images and PDFs to see if I notice anything.

weird..... Mine is still running smooth since not having it running.
[doublepost=1516729983][/doublepost]
weird..... Mine is still running smooth since not having it running.

Could it be something with my particular GPU?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When a "guest" or otherwise newly-created "test account" works properly (it has nothing but the Apple software in it), and the "regular" account DOES NOT WORK as it should, then...

...it points to software that the user has installed (not Apple).

The OP seems to have found the "offending software".
Skype is one of the "usual suspects"...

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.