Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I just added this to my Watch list on Steam yesterday. I watched the IGN video also, and while I am intrigued about the concept of the game, I do wonder if there's "enough to do" to make the game last. Regardless, looking forward to trying this one out.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I have to say, I've made this thread after looking at only 6 minutes of gameplay on IGN site.

And now im in 12th minute of the film. My mind is already blown completely away. Absolutely amazing concept.

And the idea, of discovering on every single planet ancient relics, and history of the planet blows my mind even more.

I have all my life dreamed about this.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Honestly I don't know, this game also have the potential for a major flop.

The obvious problem is that it could rapidly become boring since there seems to be hardly anything to do. Yes "discovery" is fun, but in a context where it doesn't mean anything really, where thousands of players are making discoveries at the same time, finding different looking fish, lizards, goat, whatever. Finding a planet with different shape of lake or mountain doesn't make it significant.

Also, they made some decisions that kind of "kill" that feeling of being a lone explorer, like having "robot police" on you the instant you kill an animal. You don't really feel like you are in uncharted territories when there is an actual robot police ready to watch what you do there. Same thing with having some buildings already there. (Unless you can find an all new intelligent race of builders on a planet, or some clear ruins suggesting intelligent being existed there, which doesn't seem likely to happen)

The biggest problem I think is that everything is procedurally generated, which mean potentially millions of "different planets" to explore, however it also mean that whatever you will find, it's unlikely to be that significant. I think a game like Skyrim or Witcher will still give you a better feeling of discovery since you know you could find an interesting character or relic or magic weapon, or whatever.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I know It can be major flop, there was a voice in my head immediately when I see the gameplay, that there can be no "fun, joy, satisfaction" factor in the game, like was the case of The Order 1886.

However, I will reserve my opinion till I'll see the end product.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Good point about the robot police showing up within moments of killing species on the planet. I thought that was a little out-of-place as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Honestly I don't know, this game also have the potential for a major flop.

The obvious problem is that it could rapidly become boring since there seems to be hardly anything to do. Yes "discovery" is fun, but in a context where it doesn't mean anything really, where thousands of players are making discoveries at the same time, finding different looking fish, lizards, goat, whatever. Finding a planet with different shape of lake or mountain doesn't make it significant.

Also, they made some decisions that kind of "kill" that feeling of being a lone explorer, like having "robot police" on you the instant you kill an animal. You don't really feel like you are in uncharted territories when there is an actual robot police ready to watch what you do there. Same thing with having some buildings already there. (Unless you can find an all new intelligent race of builders on a planet, or some clear ruins suggesting intelligent being existed there, which doesn't seem likely to happen)

The biggest problem I think is that everything is procedurally generated, which mean potentially millions of "different planets" to explore, however it also mean that whatever you will find, it's unlikely to be that significant. I think a game like Skyrim or Witcher will still give you a better feeling of discovery since you know you could find an interesting character or relic or magic weapon, or whatever.

I'm watching this. Along your line of reasoning, I'm curious how well the planet exploration feature will work long term, if you'll be landing on planets with all the animals named, because they've all been scoured, how long this activity will remain interesting to do (about your tenth planet), what other things can be discovered, what impact those discoveries have on the universe if any, and just how big will each planet be? In Planetside, they called islands, continents. :p

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
I am incredibly excited about this game. Lately, the details of this game seem to be much more concrete, and I like what I hear. I have played quite a bit of elite dangerous and am patiently waiting on star citizen.

Elite suffers very shallow gameplay. Elite also tries to be a "sandbox," but unfortunately it is a very pretty sandbox with a very shallow amount of sand. It is fun to begin with, but it can quickly become a chore. Once you dig into the game a bit, you realize that there are only a few different ways to make money, and they can all be very repetitive and unrewarding. That, coupled with the fact that there is no end game, and player vs player combat is so costly, makes it hard to stay interested in the game over time.

What I am hoping is that No Man's Sky can address some of this shallow gameplay. It sounds like some of their plan is to try and do this. First, I think the exploration is going to be more interesting. Their terrain generation is similar to minecraft, and sometimes it was cool just to run around in a cave or above ground just to check things out. Add to that generated wildlife and ships, there is going to be a lot to see. Next, things like the robot police might keep things more interesting as well. Plenty of people run around in grand theft auto and just cause mayhem. Last, one of the objectives is to get to the center of the galaxy. This should provide some motivation to try and mine and trade, so you can upgrade your ship so its capable of getting there. Comments I heard on the video make me believe that "end game content," a la world of warcraft, could be unlocked once you get there, providing more to do.

What I am hoping to see is more things about player interactions. From what little I know, it sounds like this is not going to be a key part of the game, despite this being a critical piece of the lasting appeal for a lot of games.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am incredibly excited about this game. Lately, the details of this game seem to be much more concrete, and I like what I hear. I have played quite a bit of elite dangerous and am patiently waiting on star citizen.

Elite suffers very shallow gameplay. Elite also tries to be a "sandbox," but unfortunately it is a very pretty sandbox with a very shallow amount of sand. It is fun to begin with, but it can quickly become a chore. Once you dig into the game a bit, you realize that there are only a few different ways to make money, and they can all be very repetitive and unrewarding. That, coupled with the fact that there is no end game, and player vs player combat is so costly, makes it hard to stay interested in the game over time.

What I am hoping is that No Man's Sky can address some of this shallow gameplay. It sounds like some of their plan is to try and do this. First, I think the exploration is going to be more interesting. Their terrain generation is similar to minecraft, and sometimes it was cool just to run around in a cave or above ground just to check things out. Add to that generated wildlife and ships, there is going to be a lot to see. Next, things like the robot police might keep things more interesting as well. Plenty of people run around in grand theft auto and just cause mayhem. Last, one of the objectives is to get to the center of the galaxy. This should provide some motivation to try and mine and trade, so you can upgrade your ship so its capable of getting there. Comments I heard on the video make me believe that "end game content," a la world of warcraft, could be unlocked once you get there, providing more to do.

What I am hoping to see is more things about player interactions. From what little I know, it sounds like this is not going to be a key part of the game, despite this being a critical piece of the lasting appeal for a lot of games.

I agree that Elite Dangerous is lacking for my long term interest. The routine was not enough to sustain me long term, but NMS, the preview videos although seemingly having more to do, did not strike me as polished as ED.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I agree that Elite Dangerous is lacking for my long term interest. The routine was not enough to sustain me long term, but NMS, the preview videos although seemingly having more to do, did not strike me as polished as ED.

It certainly is puddle deep and ocean wide. That said I've sank enough enjoyable hours into Elite that I don't regret my purchase, but if there are future expansions it remains to be seen if I'll be interested enough to buy them.

Skyrim kind of ran the line of puddle and ocean best I've seen out of most sandbox games. As long as you weren't a tool that followed some online walkthrough to the letter there were lots of nooks and crannies that contained reasonably interesting quests and NPCs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It certainly is puddle deep and ocean wide. That said I've sank enough enjoyable hours into Elite that I don't regret my purchase, but if there are future expansions it remains to be seen if I'll be interested enough to buy them.

Skyrim kind of ran the line of puddle and ocean best I've seen out of most sandbox games. As long as you weren't a tool that followed some online walkthrough to the letter there were lots of nooks and crannies that contained reasonably interesting quests and NPCs.

I dug Skyrim, at least through the Main Quest. The best sandbox world's I've found are like those in Oblivion and Skyrim. See that mountain, go climb it, no screen loads. (Yes, there are some zone loads, but not out in the general world).

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Game looks amazing, but then so did Destiny, and that had me bored senseless after a month, I am not sure just changing the colour palette of each planet i visit slightly is going to cut it in the long run...

Ooo look, another blue-green world, maybe this will be more exciting that the last red-grey world i visited...

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
They have shown only few planets out of countless numbers. Its hard to judge whole game after only maybe 0.00000000000001% of what is possible in it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I played ‘No Man’s Sky’ for 10 Minutes, and it was awesome! (Article)

Looks cool! Just how big are these worlds?

Edit: This is not a MMO, what's the latest on multiplayer? Does that change how you view the game?
This from Dec2014:
Stop Thinking Of No Man’s Sky As A Multiplayer Game

14965393486_d5ec34c4ce_b.jpg

2883980-2883823-no_mans_sky_2.jpg

no-mans-sky2.jpg

Last edited:

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Hmm... I'm still interested. It's unique, and seems to have style. It makes sense (the article). I have a feeling this is going to be one of those games that's just highly criticized. The big "unknowns" about this game seem to keep me interested though.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
I can't wait to play this game! I'm tired of AAA titles, and have been looking forward to playing more indie games recently (especially this one.)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Just downloaded the "Next Gen" Update for NMS in Steam - there are awesome updates in the PC version!

Before I was at a locked 30fps in 1080p/high...

now there's a 1080p/"enhanced" mode and I get a LOCKED 60fps!!!

Nicer planets, textures, draw distances, on this old AMD PC I built 4 years ago (rx470)!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No Man’s Sky 5 Years Later-
On sale at Steam, and GOG.com, this game has done a real turn around, so I finally committed to give this a shot. Reports to follow. :)

F68B8CFF-5B10-431D-9AC7-AAD99798176E.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.