Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Ok, I'm still waiting for iLife '04 to ship (it says "Open" on the Apple UK Education store, whatever that means) but that's another toppic. I also ordered two packs of 5-disc 2x speed DVD-R discs (Apple-branded).

I checked my order status and found that the 2x DVD-R discs were cancelled and they are now shipping me two 5-packs of 4x media. Luckily I'm getting them for the same price (£5 per pack).

Problem is, I don't want 4x discs as my Superdrive has a 2x writing speed (new PowerBook). The description clearly states that 4x discs will only write at 1x speed in a 2x drive. This is not what I want!

I can't find 2x discs anywhere on the Apple store now (they must have been discontinued), and trying to find DVD-R media in UK high street stores is like finding a needle in a haystack...

I am not impressed!

Sidenote: PowerBook updates with 4x Superdrives imminent?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: No more 2x DVD-R discs?

Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Ok, I'm still waiting for iLife '04 to ship (it says "Open" on the Apple UK Education store, whatever that means) but that's another toppic. I also ordered two packs of 5-disc 2x speed DVD-R discs (Apple-branded).

I checked my order status and found that the 2x DVD-R discs were cancelled and they are now shipping me two 5-packs of 4x media. Luckily I'm getting them for the same price (£5 per pack).

Problem is, I don't want 4x discs as my Superdrive has a 2x writing speed (new PowerBook). The description clearly states that 4x discs will only write at 1x speed in a 2x drive. This is not what I want!

I can't find 2x discs anywhere on the Apple store now (they must have been discontinued), and trying to find DVD-R media in UK high street stores is like finding a needle in a haystack...

I am not impressed!

Sidenote: PowerBook updates with 4x Superdrives imminent?

Apple 2x DVD-R Media Kit

It's still there, but I had to look for it, as I couldn't find it on Apple's website. I found the link at MacMinute. it's interesting, because they just cut the price almost in half for the 2x media.

Hmmmmmm......

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Why would they cancel my order of 2x discs and replace them with 4x discs though? Although it's like more for nothing, it's actually worse for someone in my position!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.