Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tateusmaximus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
sydney
i say there should be NO optical drive in the next powerbook.

when installing os, use an external firewire drive.

optical drives update so often, it wouldnt matter if you could just replace the
optical drive in your external bay for a dual layer or whatever comes out next.

use the gained space (a fair bit of the space in a powerbook actually!!) for the necessary cooling for a g5 processor, or just make the powerbook slimmer (or flatter whichever way you look at it)

thats how apple can fit a G5 in a powerbook.

now when do i start on the advisory board at apple?

ps. how often do you actually use the optical drive? now how much of that can you do with an external drive?
if it came down to it, would you prefer a powerbook with an internal drive with a g4, or an external with a G5???

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Then would could you easily install software? What if someone gives you a CD of photos or files or music? Sure you could get around one, but not in any simple way that I know of. I wouldn't really want to carry around an external drive with me, IMO.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Uhh... I use my optical drive all the time. I happen to like burning dvds, playing games, getting files from friends, and installing software on the road. The optical drive isn't anywhere near as dated as the floppy was, in the days of the iMac. I don't see it going anywhere for a long time.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
About the G5: dude, it ain't gonna happen. Get over it. The little space gained from taking the optical drive away wouldn't be enough for that anyway; but it could make the computer much thinner. It's true the optical drive is very convenient, but I think the PowerBook line could use a ultra-portable for those who use the computer strictly for the road, and have the PowerMac waiting them at home (Or just wouldn't mind having an external drive). Not ALL PBs, mind you; just the smallest one, maybe a 12" widescreen, with an ultra-low voltage fanless Pentium M, and maybe in a few years with a flash-drive instead of HD... just to think of it makes me drool; it would be a completely silent computer, like half an inch thin, and it'd last forever on the battery.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I am sure they can fit the G5 in the Powerbook today if it was still going to happen. The issue is the heat produced. It can't be cooled enough to be in a notebook. The Optical drive gone will do nothing about cooling.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Hey! I wonder if we will use non-rewritable flash drives to install software. Just imagine it. We won't need CDs or anything else. We already use flash drives for transferring files and we will be using flash drives (which will replace the arm and disk hard drive) as our main computer storage drives in the near future; so I say the optical drive will go away too but it is just a matter of time until it is gone.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
tateusmaximus said:
I use my drive almost every day for watching DVD's. I would not buy any laptop without a built in DVD drive.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i like the pb because everything is built in and it still is quite small. i don't need more speed, i don't need a g5.

i wouldn't buy a pb without superdrive.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
It would be very difficult to import songs from a CD onto your computer. (yes i know there's itunes, but not everyone uses that)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Sure :rolleyes: I use my drive to install programs (from the cd) and how else would one use an external drive on the go? Photos, music and so on are on cds...not to mention the extra cost of an external drive.
tateusmaximus

when installing os, use an external firewire drive.

now when do i start on the advisory board at apple?

Advisory board no, local Gov. a seat is waiting for you ;)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Artful Dodger said:
Sure :rolleyes: I use my drive to install programs (from the cd) and how else would one use an external drive on the go? Photos, music and so on are on cds...not to mention the extra cost of an external drive.

Advisory board no, local Gov. a seat is waiting for you ;)

:D :D :D

I think we should do away with keyboards too, and do everything with a joystick (Like adding your name to the high scores list on a gaming machine....). Imagine a collapsable joystick protuding out of the body of the new powerbook...

Maybe that's not such a bad idea for gaming laptops from AlienWare*. It could like fold down into the palm rest.

*Just as Aliens are typically ugly, so are these computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.