No option to hide menu bar in Lion....

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cp12321, Dec 6, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I have searched high and low for third party software that allows you to do this in Mac OSX Lion with seemingly no solution to be found. Therefore, I do not expect this post to make any difference. I just want to vent because I find it inconceivable that Apple could overlook such a (should be) standard OS feature. Such things make me want to just say "screw it" and use Windows 7 as my primary OS on my Macbook Pro.

2. macrumors 68000

Nameci

Are you new to OSX? Why would you think that it supposed to be a standard OS feature?

If you compare it to windows, win 7 doesn't have a menu bar, they have a task bar. Those two things are different.

3. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Look for the program called Nocturne. It provides the option to hide the menu bar as well as other options.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't say that I am new to OSX as I have been using it for months since I bought my Pro. And I had exposure to previous versions of OSX as well but not on a regular basis. I get the differences between the two OS's and overall by far prefer OSX over Windows. However, this is about accommodating those who prefer to max out their screen space. I need my entire screen free from top to bottom. Apple should do something about this.....

5. macrumors 65816

Partron22

Is there any software available that lets you add a menubar to it?
    I find it inconceivable that Microsoft could overlook such a (should be) standard OS feature. ;)

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Nocturne 1.0.4 already and it didn't seem to have any options related to the menu bar.

7. macrumors 68030

It dims the menubar to the point of invisibility, but doesn't reclaim the space.

OP, download version 2.0 from the developer's website. Search for blacktree.

8. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What you do is set it to dim when in active and have the slider all the way to the left. v2.0.0

[​IMG]

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have downloaded v2.0.0 from several different sites with the same result - first time I try to open it, it does nothing, second time, it turns the night mode on but gives me no application window to change any settings in.

10. macrumors member

OSX Applications that are fully Lion Compatible have a full screen mode, in which the menu bar is auto-hidden, thereby giving you the real estate you require.

Not a perfect solution but better than nothing !

11. macrumors 68030

Look in your menubar. Click on the icon for Nocturne and choose preferences...