No option to save PDF directly from Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MadTester, Jul 26, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

MadTester

Hi all,

With the Safari update I've noticed that now if I want to save a pdf I am viewing online, I have to open it in 'Preview' first and then save it..... Has the function (i.e. the little menu at the base of the safari window giving you the options to print, save, magnify) been completely eradicated? :(

2. macrumors 6502a

007bond

I'm not aware of the function you are referring to. But, to save a page as a PDF from Safari, go to File->Print (or press Cmd+P), click "PDF", and then click "Save As PDF".

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't right-click on the link to the pdf and select "Download linked file"?

4. macrumors member

All the old methods of saving a PDF are there as far as I can see. You can still use "Save As..." from the file menu, right-click on the link to download the file, or use those icons at the bottom of the page you mentioned - click the right hand one to save the PDF to your downloads folder.

5. macrumors 6502

Safari 6.0, PDF viewed in Safari, mouse hovered over bottom centre of screen, brings pop up menu. The save button is the first one on the left in this menu.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68030

fhall1

Seeing that attachment made me think...Adobe's going to have to change that icon sooner or later...I bet there's a lot of young folks out there that have no idea what that represents since they've never seen a floppy disk.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

MadTester

LOL.. yeh... the 'good old days' eh? .. I finally got once i rebooted my machine a couple of times.... Looks like my uMBP got itself into a shizzle.... :D

On another note... 'Empty Cache' shortcut is no longer around or in the menu option :( hey ho.. such is life i guess.

8. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Good point. At least they use a 3.5inch floppy and not a 5 1/4. But what would they use now? A cloud?

9. macrumors 65816

I doubt it - we use many icons and conventions the have no relation to their actual original use - starting with the return key, dodge and burn symbols in photo apps, etc. Once people get used to a convention the history behind it is largely irrelevant.