Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's pretty funny. :D

The iBooks have become ridiculously more competitive than the PowerBooks since their last update and Apple's not doing anything about it. :(

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yeah, but I still bought a powerbook. In the end the only deciding factors were the screen and the audio in. Plus they probably got a lot of people to make up their minds and buy.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
mad jew said:
That's pretty funny. :D

The iBooks have become ridiculously more competitive than the PowerBooks since their last update and Apple's not doing anything about it. :(

You mean just like this time last year? ;)

Personally I'd still take a PowerBook over the current iBooks.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Jay42 said:
Yeah, but I still bought a powerbook. In the end the only deciding factors were the screen and the audio in. Plus they probably got a lot of people to make up their minds and buy.

Well if this story is true (and my feeling is that it is, and a guy I know who sells Macs says that it is) - you're right. It has made up my mind. I think I might buy a powerbook now (even if they are *way* behind PC laptops in features), as a PC user user I've waited a long time to get my hands on MAC OSX, and I can't wait any longer ;)

slimflem

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Mac Me Up said:
Well if this story is true (and my feeling is that it is, and a guy I know who sells Macs says that it is) - you're right. It has made up my mind. I think I might buy a powerbook now (even if they are *way* behind PC laptops in features), as a PC user user I've waited a long time to get my hands on MAC OSX, and I can't wait any longer ;)

*way* behind?? i'm not so sure about that. i think you'll quickly find out you like it better than any other laptop you've ever used. My PowerBook is my first laptop, and first Mac, but I've used a lot of Windows laptops. I can say this without a doubt, the Sleep function on the PowerBooks is second to none. Instant wake up and full restore is awesome! No Windows laptop can touch it. Windows does not have the whole Sleep thing down at all. It's horrible.

When you say way behind, name some stuff. I can say my father's Dell laptop has 6 usb ports on it, but honestly, 2 is plenty for me. are you talking about things like this? surely you can't mean the top-quality LCD on the PowerBook. Maybe you mean battery life, not a big deal to me. 3+ hours is enough for me at once.

Just curious what you see as being way behind.

slimflem

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Mac Me Up said:

You will no doubt LOVE OS X. I am a total convert now and will never go back.

gregorydanger

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2004
Michigan
Apple is treating the PowerBook like the bastard red-headed step child now.

Just kinda weird. I keep thinking that they have something up their sleeve and.. nope, nothing.

Ah well.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
risc said:
Personally I'd still take a PowerBook over the current iBooks.

Yeah, I don't claim for a second that there isn't a place in Apple's line up for the current PowerBook. It's just that considering the price difference between the iBook and itself, you'd hope for some more grunt and maybe some new features too. Oh, and maybe some better AirPort reception and battery life too. :p

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Again I just have to say to those people who have been waiting on the upgrades...

YOU GOT PUNKED

:)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Good, I don't want there to be any updates :D

I just bought a new PB a couple weeks ago, and if they update them this soon, then I'll be pissed ;)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
solvs said:
For all who might complain... this is why we're moving to Intel. ;)

uhh... I wouldnt want to be the first ones to own them though =/

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
everytime

someone says "i know someone who sells macs" i crack up... SO? when was the last time a big rumor was cracked by a mac salesperson? the only time i can remember is when there was a big pallette of product that came in two days before the expo and i think it wound up being the 3g iPods or something.

the mac salespeople know nothing more than we do about new products being announced except for possibly hours if not minutes in advance. would you trust the guy you are paying like 8-12 dollars an hour in a STORE to keep his mouth shut about one of the most secretive companies EVER? no.

there could very well be no update until next year, but then again, who knows?

sorry, just had to get that out. I know three apple employees, one of which works in cupertino in interface development, and he said that most of the time not even they know about a new product until it is VERY close to being made... (unless of course he's working on it).

we'll see in like 5 days

MacPassion

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
OZ
slimflem said:
*way* behind?? i'm not so sure about that. i think you'll quickly find out you like it better than any other laptop you've ever used. My PowerBook is my first laptop, and first Mac, but I've used a lot of Windows laptops. I can say this without a doubt, the Sleep function on the PowerBooks is second to none. Instant wake up and full restore is awesome! No Windows laptop can touch it. Windows does not have the whole Sleep thing down at all. It's horrible.

When you say way behind, name some stuff. I can say my father's Dell laptop has 6 usb ports on it, but honestly, 2 is plenty for me. are you talking about things like this? surely you can't mean the top-quality LCD on the PowerBook. Maybe you mean battery life, not a big deal to me. 3+ hours is enough for me at once.

i think that they are a way behind as far as the screen is concerned...i have to buy a new laptop now (well, i'm selling a 6 months old HP laptop just to get a mac) and i'm not very happy to go for the current powerbook.....

northernleitz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
I recently had the dubious honor of picking out a Dell laptop for my boss. The thing they don't tell you in their commercials is that the baseline Dell is stripped of any meaningful software or wireless technology. I tried explaining to her that i could show her how to open her Excel files on a Mac without buying any additional software, but she still had to have that Dell... even after I pointed out that it didn't even come with a trial version of Office. By the time you get a whatever laptop spec'ed out to compare fairly with a Power Book, you will be way behind in the dollar race.

From what I have seen of the Wintel bunch, I'd say the current Apple offerings can still hold their own. And if you get the Apple, in two years you will still have a computer, not a quaint relic or inoperable chunk of plastic.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
slimflem said:

Sorry I should probably clarify. Apple OS is way ahead vs Windows XP, so obviously I'm not talking about software (and this includes sleep, etc). :D

I mean in hardware terms - Radeon 9700 vs the current X800's, G4 vs Pentium M, and yes 4 USB ports should be minimum, 2 is just weird, 'superdrive' vs dual layer 8x dvd burners, etc. It's not that bad, but it does seem like at a hardware level that the powerbook is at least one generation behind a modern PC laptop. ;)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The PowerBook is STILL one of the worlds best and most proven performers.

Even so every machine you look at right now will be left in the dust sooner or later when cooler running dual cores are mainstream.

If you really NEED a portable you pay a premium anyway, regardless of platform.
With this in mind, lots of people are buying conservative, going for an iBook or a 12" PowerBook to get them through the next few years while the dust settles. At least you've got a great machine running a fabulous OS that WORKS for you NOW for a reasonable price.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Well ladies and gentleman, I'm off to buy one now :D

12" inch powerbook, with superdrive...it comes with a free mighty mouse as well. Not that I like the mouse (you mean I have to lift my left finger off the mouse to make a right-click *meh*), but free is free!

When I said it was a bit old, it's true. I'm just being objective. Truth be told though it doesn't really make me want it any less.

In about an hours time, I'll be a true switcher :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.