No powerbook updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac Me Up, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Mac Me Up macrumors regular

ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509g5.html) is reporting that the there will be no powerbook upgrades this year. The Power Mac G5 is being upgraded though...hopefully it's not true (about the powerbook)! :eek:

2. mddharma macrumors regular

:mad: DABNABIT!

There HAS to be an upgrade to the powerbook line before xmas!

:(

3. themacman macrumors 6502

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's pretty funny. :D

The iBooks have become ridiculously more competitive than the PowerBooks since their last update and Apple's not doing anything about it. :(

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah, but I still bought a powerbook. In the end the only deciding factors were the screen and the audio in. Plus they probably got a lot of people to make up their minds and buy.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You mean just like this time last year? ;)

Personally I'd still take a PowerBook over the current iBooks.

7. Mac Me Up thread starter macrumors regular

Well if this story is true (and my feeling is that it is, and a guy I know who sells Macs says that it is) - you're right. It has made up my mind. I think I might buy a powerbook now (even if they are *way* behind PC laptops in features), as a PC user user I've waited a long time to get my hands on MAC OSX, and I can't wait any longer ;)

8. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

*way* behind?? i'm not so sure about that. i think you'll quickly find out you like it better than any other laptop you've ever used. My PowerBook is my first laptop, and first Mac, but I've used a lot of Windows laptops. I can say this without a doubt, the Sleep function on the PowerBooks is second to none. Instant wake up and full restore is awesome! No Windows laptop can touch it. Windows does not have the whole Sleep thing down at all. It's horrible.

When you say way behind, name some stuff. I can say my father's Dell laptop has 6 usb ports on it, but honestly, 2 is plenty for me. are you talking about things like this? surely you can't mean the top-quality LCD on the PowerBook. Maybe you mean battery life, not a big deal to me. 3+ hours is enough for me at once.

Just curious what you see as being way behind.

9. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

You will no doubt LOVE OS X. I am a total convert now and will never go back.

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Sweet. This means I made a smart choice in buying my PB in may, instead of waiting till paris. Lesson to you all :p

11. gregorydanger macrumors member

Apple is treating the PowerBook like the bastard red-headed step child now.

Just kinda weird. I keep thinking that they have something up their sleeve and.. nope, nothing.

Ah well.

12. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I think he is pretty much just refering to G4 vs. Penitum M! :eek:

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I don't claim for a second that there isn't a place in Apple's line up for the current PowerBook. It's just that considering the price difference between the iBook and itself, you'd hope for some more grunt and maybe some new features too. Oh, and maybe some better AirPort reception and battery life too. :p

14. wako macrumors 65816

Again I just have to say to those people who have been waiting on the upgrades...

YOU GOT PUNKED

:)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good, I don't want there to be any updates :D

I just bought a new PB a couple weeks ago, and if they update them this soon, then I'll be pissed ;)

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For all who might complain... this is why we're moving to Intel. ;)

17. wako macrumors 65816

uhh... I wouldnt want to be the first ones to own them though =/

18. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

True, I'm glad I won't be part of the 3 thousand dollar beta test... :eek:

19. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

everytime

someone says "i know someone who sells macs" i crack up... SO? when was the last time a big rumor was cracked by a mac salesperson? the only time i can remember is when there was a big pallette of product that came in two days before the expo and i think it wound up being the 3g iPods or something.

the mac salespeople know nothing more than we do about new products being announced except for possibly hours if not minutes in advance. would you trust the guy you are paying like 8-12 dollars an hour in a STORE to keep his mouth shut about one of the most secretive companies EVER? no.

there could very well be no update until next year, but then again, who knows?

sorry, just had to get that out. I know three apple employees, one of which works in cupertino in interface development, and he said that most of the time not even they know about a new product until it is VERY close to being made... (unless of course he's working on it).

we'll see in like 5 days

20. MacPassion macrumors member

i think that they are a way behind as far as the screen is concerned...i have to buy a new laptop now (well, i'm selling a 6 months old HP laptop just to get a mac) and i'm not very happy to go for the current powerbook.....

21. northernleitz macrumors member

I recently had the dubious honor of picking out a Dell laptop for my boss. The thing they don't tell you in their commercials is that the baseline Dell is stripped of any meaningful software or wireless technology. I tried explaining to her that i could show her how to open her Excel files on a Mac without buying any additional software, but she still had to have that Dell... even after I pointed out that it didn't even come with a trial version of Office. By the time you get a whatever laptop spec'ed out to compare fairly with a Power Book, you will be way behind in the dollar race.

From what I have seen of the Wintel bunch, I'd say the current Apple offerings can still hold their own. And if you get the Apple, in two years you will still have a computer, not a quaint relic or inoperable chunk of plastic.

22. Mac Me Up thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I should probably clarify. Apple OS is way ahead vs Windows XP, so obviously I'm not talking about software (and this includes sleep, etc). :D

I mean in hardware terms - Radeon 9700 vs the current X800's, G4 vs Pentium M, and yes 4 USB ports should be minimum, 2 is just weird, 'superdrive' vs dual layer 8x dvd burners, etc. It's not that bad, but it does seem like at a hardware level that the powerbook is at least one generation behind a modern PC laptop. ;)

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The PowerBook is STILL one of the worlds best and most proven performers.

Even so every machine you look at right now will be left in the dust sooner or later when cooler running dual cores are mainstream.

If you really NEED a portable you pay a premium anyway, regardless of platform.
    With this in mind, lots of people are buying conservative, going for an iBook or a 12" PowerBook to get them through the next few years while the dust settles. At least you've got a great machine running a fabulous OS that WORKS for you NOW for a reasonable price.

24. Mac Me Up thread starter macrumors regular

Well ladies and gentleman, I'm off to buy one now :D

12" inch powerbook, with superdrive...it comes with a free mighty mouse as well. Not that I like the mouse (you mean I have to lift my left finger off the mouse to make a right-click *meh*), but free is free!

When I said it was a bit old, it's true. I'm just being objective. Truth be told though it doesn't really make me want it any less.

In about an hours time, I'll be a true switcher :cool:

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew