Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yes it does. The only two shows that don't really have an acronym are Voyager and Enterprise. Otherwise the other 3 are regularly referred to as TOS, TNG and DS9

Ok I'm old.I've always referred to the 3 shows as Star Trek,Star Trek TNG,Star Trek DS9 and Star Trek Voyager.

And lets not forget Gene Roddenberry's last series produced by his wife.Andromeda!!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Yes it does. The only two shows that don't really have an acronym are Voyager and Enterprise. Otherwise the other 3 are regularly referred to as TOS, TNG and DS9

They all have acronyms, even the movies...

TOS = Star Trek
TNG = Star Trek: The Next Generation
DS9 = Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
VOY or VGR = Star Trek: Voyager
ENT or E = (Star Trek:) Enterprise

TMP= Star Trek: The Motion Picture
TWOK or TWK = Star Trek (II): The Wrath of Kahn
TSFS or SFS = Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
TVH = Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
TFF = Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
TUC = Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
GEN = Star Trek: Generations
FC = Star Trek: First Contact
INS = Star Trek: Insurrection
NEM = Star Trek: Nemesis

As for them not being available, it is possible that they are having bandwidth problems, or their server is down, or they are updating with Season 2 and more of the re-mastered episodes.

As for them re-mastering the show, Michael Okuda is in charge, and he is making sure that the follow the spirit of the show, and don't pull a Lucas. The biggest things they have done is to use new CG footage of the Enterprise and planets, along with other ships. They are also working on fixing inaccuracies with the outside images of the ship, so there is more than those 7 stock shots. They are doing their best to enhance the existing show, not detract from the stories. The broadcasts of the show so far has been confined to the US and Canada (via US stations), but once all the episodes are finished, you can expect them all to be available on Television Worldwide, and on iTunes.

There is a hope that the same thing can slowly be done to the other shows, especially since they haven't done another film to video transfer for the shows since they were originally broadcast.

http://www.trekweb.com/ is a great source for more information and a forum to share you opinions about this, and Star Trek 11.

TEG

john789

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Portland, OR
And lets not forget Gene Roddenberry's last series produced by his wife.Andromeda!!

Yeah i tries to get into Andromeda too but i never really couldn't i guess uit was because i was more into Voyager and i like the star trek way of doing things better than Andromeda's. But i like Andromeda's story..By the way i boought my forst ipod nano yesterday.RED.. so im done with the 1g gen shuffle and into the revolution..well i hope they dont come with a touch screen little nano 3 gen tomorrow:mad: lol

gryff

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
Hi,

I was going to buy an episode of Star Trek Enterprise today 02/10/2007 on the itunes store and it is no where to be found on the store. Can someone teel me what happened to them? have you heard anything about it?

Thanks

Yes, they announced Enterprise a week or so ago. They even promoted it on the front page of iTunes.

I searched for it late last week, but got the message that it wasn't available to American iTunes users. Now I can't find it at all.

If anyone knows why they pulled it (less than two weeks after offering it), please post. My guess is it is something to do with licensing.

irregardless

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
all around you
They all have acronyms, even the movies...

TOS = Star Trek
TNG = Star Trek: The Next Generation
DS9 = Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
VOY or VGR = Star Trek: Voyager
ENT or E = (Star Trek:) Enterprise

TMP= Star Trek: The Motion Picture
TWOK or TWK = Star Trek (II): The Wrath of Kahn
TSFS or SFS = Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
TVH = Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
TFF = Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
TUC = Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
GEN = Star Trek: Generations
FC = Star Trek: First Contact
INS = Star Trek: Insurrection
NEM = Star Trek: Nemesis

You forgot, of course, TAS. The informal acronym for retronym "The Animated Series," which was released as simply "Star Trek."

As for the missing iTunes episodes, I posted about this on my site Saturday morning when I noticed they were gone. I got a response from someone who bought the whole season last week and he is able to download and complete his purchase.

So the files are still there, you just can't navigate to them.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
Noo! Star Trek is my number 1 favorite TV show, and I almost peed my pants when I found out it was on iTunes. Now I'm gonna' go hang myself.

Seriously though, huge bummer. I hope whatever is wrong will be sorted out soon.

I bought a few episodes before they pulled it. You won't be disappointed. "Space Seed", and "Balance of Terror" were remastered, and they look fantastic and sound great, whether played on your mac or on your iPod.

I can't even guess as to what the "technical difficulties" might be.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I actually just bought The Naked Time from my cart. It downloaded fine. I thought that the episodes were back on iTunes, but they weren't. So the episodes are definitaly still on the servers.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I bought a few episodes before they pulled it. You won't be disappointed. "Space Seed", and "Balance of Terror" were remastered, and they look fantastic and sound great, whether played on your mac or on your iPod.

I can't even guess as to what the "technical difficulties" might be.
Balance of Terror, one of the best episodes without a doubt in the original, Im curious what they did in remastering the show?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Balance of Terror, one of the best episodes without a doubt in the original, Im curious what they did in remastering the show?

It's actually pretty awesome. They added some detail to the Romulan ship, and their weapon. The dust cloud also looks much more realistic.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
In the remastered episodes, all the scenes of the ships flying through space look 100% better, in my own opinion. It's what you would expect from modern CGI technology.

That's not the only benefit though, all the footage has been carefully remastered, so the colors and depth (for lack of a better way to put it) really look fantastic. Of course, some episodes benefit from this technology much more than others. I can't wait to see "The Doomsday Machine", and "The Tholian Web". Rumor has it that the cardboard cutout of the Tholian has been replaced by a CGI image, as was done in one of the last episodes of Enterprise.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
It's Back!

For interested folks, Star Trek TOS is back at the iTunes store. looks like they listened to customers, as the first season remastered episodes are seperated from the non-remastered ones.

Now, if they'll add some more Night Gallery,,,,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.