Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabeLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
So, i bought a new Apple TV yesterday and i decided to rent my first HD movie. Then I noticed that there's no menu for the movie (languages, subtitles, etc). Not even CLOSE CAPTION!!! available. What's with apple? What about deaf people?
I found that there is a close caption option in the setup menu, but nothing changes when activated. I don't know. We have a young baby in the house and sometimes we have to low the volume of the tv while she's sleeping and we find very helpful to have subtitles on movies with a lot of dialogs.
Is there any updates coming to solve this problem??

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
So, i bought a new Apple TV yesterday and i decided to rent my first HD movie. Then I noticed that there's no menu for the movie (languages, subtitles, etc). Not even CLOSE CAPTION!!! available. What's with apple? What about deaf people?
I found that there is a close caption option in the setup menu, but nothing changes when activated. I don't know. We have a young baby in the house and sometimes we have to low the volume of the tv while she's sleeping and we find very helpful to have subtitles on movies with a lot of dialogs.
Is there any updates coming to solve this problem??

It's not the fault of Apple. Not every television show out there is produced with Closed Captioning. Also, preservation of Closed Captioning depends on whether the studio released the program on video with it. Subtitles are supported inherently in MPEG-4 but they're dependent, again, on how the film is encoded by the studio that submits it to Apple.

You should have done this research before buying the device. Sales people can answer questions but only the ones you ask. Aside from major features, they're not going to point out every little feature or omission that you might have an interest in unless you tell them what your needs are.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Apple has done all they need to on their side in support of this. Now its up to the studios to put that into the content that they deliver via iTunes.

Kevin :apple:

cbster

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Orange County
I too am disappointed that all the Apple tv rentals do not include close captioning. I work part time at a hearing impaired after school care and the kids would love too watch Finding Nemo, but that title does not include captioning. In regards to Avatar74 - I think the op is just venting his frustration. Unfortunately, most of the time when I ask ?'s at my local Apple stores, I feel I know more about the products than the sales team. So telling the original poster "he should have asked more questions." is not necessarily a good response. I did ask a sales person at the Apple store if cc was supported, he said " YES! All movies nowadays have cc." Obviously he did not what he was talking about. Anyways, I love my Apple tv take 2 - its much better than the original (not perfect, but much better)!

secondcup

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Unfortunately, most of the time when I ask ?'s at my local Apple stores, I feel I know more about the products than the sales team. So telling the original poster "he should have asked more questions." is not necessarily a good response. I did ask a sales person at the Apple store if cc was supported, he said " YES! All movies nowadays have cc." Obviously he did not what he was talking about. Anyways, I love my Apple tv take 2 - its much better than the original (not perfect, but much better)!

I agree. The poster is asking a legitimate question. I often feel that the person who is helping me at any store, be it Apple or somewhere else, knows less than I do. What happened to "the buyer is always right"? Yes, you have to do your research, but a simple question like does it support CC should be answered correctly. Understood that some studios encode with CC and others don't, but tell that to the buyer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.