Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombieChef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Canada
I'm having a bit of an issue wiith a wireless router I just bought.
I've been trying to set up a network at the house, so we bought a Linksys wireless G router. Anyways, it worked great at first but now it rarely gives out a signal. (wirelessly or to computers connected with cables) I don't think it's broken as the one I used for many years before this was replaced because it had the same problem. (It only gave out a signal maybe 50% of the time) I have two computers, a Mac hooked up with a cable, and a Dell laptop, my Dad's. (which he would love to use wirelessly consistently) Is there a solution for this or do I just have bad luck in choosing routers?

Also: I read somewhere that some wireless phones screw up wireless signals. My router says 2.4 GHz and my phone does too. Could this be the problem?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The biggest household appliance to interfere with 11g networks is the microwave, but unless you cook a lot it shouldn't affect things to that extent. Can you change the channel that the router broadcasts it's signal over and see whether that helps? I'm not sure how many channels you get in your country, but in the UK we have 11 to choose from.

I'm not sure how this would help with regards to cabled computers though. Maybe the router is hanging then rebooting itself, in which case it would either need a firmware update or to be moved somewhere with better ventilation.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you unplug the router for a minute and then reconnect it, does this help at all? Also, dynamicv's channel changing idea is an excellent place to start for the wirelessly-connected computers. :cool:

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
My brother had a similar problem with a Linksys router. At first he couldn't get it to work and then magically, it started working one day. It worked for several months then stopped again. He tried for a long time to get it working again. It claimed it was broadcasting, but no one could get a signal. He replaced it with a NetGear which he said was "a thousand times easier" to set up and hasn't given him any problems.

domzanghi

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
Make sure your firmware (software on your router) is up to date. The firmware & instructions are on linksys.com.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I recently had to purchase a WET54G wireless router that is giving my TiBook reception problems. The same problems you seem to be having.

The previous router, a BEFW11 (IIRC) had absolutely no problem with reception. Linksys has never left me entirely satisfied with their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.