Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
So I updated my iPhone 6S to 10.1.1 and sometimes sporadically I hear a pop through my ear piece when I touch a number to dial.

I can replicated it if I wait 30 seconds between calls. Its almost as if the speaker goes to sleep in that duration and when woken up makes the pop. If I make consecutive calls it doesn't make that popping noise through the ear piece.

Whats going on?

Can someone please try and replicate this? Its driving me insane. Just wait 30 secs. Unlock phone. Bring close to ear. Touch a contact to dial. Does the ear piece let out a small static noise? iOS 10

I'd be really grateful if you guys could try and replicate it for me since the damn service centre is about three hours from me. And apple doesn't really provide any other options in my country. If this is a normal thing with iOS10 then I'll keep it.

Found a thread that talks about the same issue here - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7686722?start=0&tstart=0

Steps to produce the issue :

1. Lock the phone (screen off)
2. Let it be for 30 seconds.
3. Unlock the phone.
4. Goto recent calls
5. Touch an entry to call
6. Faint pop/crack noise from the ear piece?

Last edited:

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Same here...
No clue where it comes from..

I dont have anyone near me with an iphone to try and replicate the issue. Have you noticed it on other 6S?

I tried restoring and updating to the beta as well but the issue persists.

Its pops when I lock the phone for about 30 seconds but back to back calls dont make any popping after the first pop.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
I think it could be related with some limitations of the earpiece quality. I can hear some distortion of the speaker at the bottom here and there at some specific frequencies.
Having said that, I am pretty sure that it's hardware related and won't be fixed by any software updates..

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
I think it could be related with some limitations of the earpiece quality. I can hear some distortion of the speaker at the bottom here and there at some specific frequencies.
Having said that, I am pretty sure that it's hardware related and won't be fixed by any software updates..

Well, I kinda want to know if this is an issue with all the 6S. I dont want to drive three hours to a service center to get it checked.

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Depending on how I'm listening to my iPhone 6, I hear noises when I navigate through the Music app...like it's making noises as I touch the screen.

The best way I can write about recreating this is :

1. Lock your phone.
2. Don't touch it for 30 seconds.
3. Unlock phone
4. Open dialer
5. Touch a contact to call
6. Do you hear a slight pop/crack?

The phone doesn't make this sound when plugged in or when the noise cancellation feature is off.

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Does anyone have a possible solution to stop this while keeping noise cancellation on?

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
So I did some troubleshooting.

Case 1 :

If I use skype to make an audio call - with or without noise cancellation on - there NO pop.

Case 2 :

Make a call with noise cancellation off. Then turn it on. Make a call again. No POP.

The popping seems to come when I think the speaker is in stand by after locking the phone for a few seconds.

Case 3:

I considered the possilbility of the noise cancelling mechanism to be malfunctioning but the fact that the pop only sounds once during the first call after unlocking the phone but no pops for subsequent calls - make me think the noise cancellation might be okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.