Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Quite amusing how Nokia is now trying to be "open", "trendy" and "cool" - :D So much WOW as Microsoft would have you believe!

Nokia is not trying to be "open". Nokia has stated Microsoft is the way forward for Nokia. Microsoft is not open. They open sourced stuff that they will no longer use.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
My source is an employee of Microsoft. I was shocked to hear this as well. Apparently its not public knowledge as I read this thread and nobody knows.

An unnamed Microsoft employee say Microsoft (american company) has bought and owns Nokia (Finnish company, a country part of EU) and you think is really true?

I thought that the EU would knew it and they would have to accept such a deal and I highly doubt that this could be secret

Last edited:

lhyx1990

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
looks promising

i guess i (and lots of developers) will start learning windows phone development soon!!
the app market in the future is probably 1/3 iOS 1/3 android and 1/3 windows phone.
Nokia + microsoft = shame on samsung!!!!
gorgeous design!!

theJwood

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Your source is wrong then. It is not possible to buy a publicly traded company like Nokia secretly.

I'm only passing on what I was told by the employee. And when I say "Nokia" I am referring to the phone division. However, my source can't be validated so as it would be, this is only a rumor for everyone else. This is a rumors website, so its fitting.

I work for F500 company and we make mergers/acquisitions all the time that due to how attorneys structure the purchases (publicly held companies) that it would not be known to the public or even look like we purchased anything at all.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'm only passing on what I was told by the employee. And when I say "Nokia" I am referring to the phone division. However, my source can't be validated so as it would be, this is only a rumor for everyone else. This is a rumors website, so its fitting.

I work for F500 company and we make mergers/acquisitions all the time that due to how attorneys structure the purchases (publicly held companies) that it would not be known to the public or even look like we purchased anything at all.

1) You posted this as absolute fact. More than that the wording was such that everyone should no this. Now we find out this is an unsubstantiated rumour.

2) Are you sure you're friend was not simply repeating the refuted and widely published rumour from earlier this year?

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Please don't make me laugh. You obviously don't have a clue about company law or the rules of the various stock exchanges.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
May Nokia get what it deserves.

Translation: May they burn in hell along with Microsoft.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Oct2011/nokia-lumia-900-leaked-online.html

The Lumia 900 will be following soon with the following specs

- 4.3" display
- 1.4 Ghz proc
- 1Gb RAM
- 16Gb/32Gb storage
- NFC support
- Bluetooth 4.0

Expected to be announced tomorrow.

This is what I've been waiting for! I can't wait for it's release.

Unfortunately, a likely fake. That very device is the split image of an earlier concept developed (and published) by a design company external to Nokia.

Anyway, i really want 900 to be announced soon. If they make it anything like the concepts they have shown, its gonna be a beauty. (The phone in your link isn't that attractive, really).

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Enough with the blue already

Too much blue. The "tiles" look like placeholders that Microsoft never got around to replacing with real icons. I'm already tired of all that monotonous flat blueness, and I've only seen WP7 in pictures. (What ever happened to that famous "Microsoft brown"?)

It really seems like Microsoft is trying very hard to "not copy" Apple, which in general is a good thing. They're trying so hard it hurts. But just being different doesn't mean you're better. There are original ideas that are also bad ideas. Just sayin'.

GWagon

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Too much blue. The "tiles" look like placeholders that Microsoft never got around to replacing with real icons. I'm already tired of all that monotonous flat blueness, and I've only seen WP7 in pictures. (What ever happened to that famous "Microsoft brown"?)

It really seems like Microsoft is trying very hard to "not copy" Apple, which in general is a good thing. They're trying so hard it hurts. But just being different doesn't mean you're better. There are original ideas that are also bad ideas. Just sayin'.

Windows mobile 7.5 Mango is a beautiful OS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtM5zQN8p74&feature=related

A nice alternative to iOS and Android for those who want something different. I actually think it's the best looking Mobile OS, and the integrated apps seem very useful. I'll be getting one soon to see how it works, but the first signs look very positive.

In the future, Microsoft can really take top spot in mobile gaming with XBox live if done right. Everything is in place for them to really shake up the mobile world.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Everything is in place for them to really shake up the mobile world.

I don't agree, they need something substantially different to do that, a paradigm shift. All they are doing is adding another alternative (with which the may well be successful). They aren't really bringing anything substantially new to the table IMO.

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010

Innovate where? The 800 takes cues from many other phones, and to me looks like an old iPod Nano with a big screen. The 700 looks like 200 other phones that were sliders.

If you view the back of these devices, the lifted that from the HTC handsets.

They moved the direction of the metal badge, but other models of HTC have done that as well. The HTC tablet looks a lot like that on the back.

Innovative? Not IMHO.
So when others copy Apple, it becomes ugly. When they don't copy Apple, it is still ugly. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Either way, competitors can't win.

I didn't realize Apple has all the patents to how good packaging looks like, all patents to what a GUI looks like, all the patents to what a slab design looks like, and all the patents on using neon colors or it will start looking like their iPod nano.

GWagon

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I don't agree, they need something substantially different to do that, a paradigm shift. All they are doing is adding another alternative (with which the may well be successful). They aren't really bringing anything substantially new to the table IMO.

I meant with their experience in the XBox platform, they can really do something special with mobile gaming.

As for an OS, in my opinion, Windows Mobile 7.5 already makes iOS look outdated. It's Apple who need something substantially different to break free from their outdated looking OS and keep up with the times, in my opinion. And that doesn't include copying features like the notification bar from Android.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I meant with their experience in the XBox platform, they can really do something special with mobile gaming.

As for an OS, in my opinion, Windows Mobile 7.5 already makes iOS look outdated. It's Apple who need something substantially different to break free from their outdated looking OS, in my opinion.

I agree with you first point somewhat, but the XBox in this context is just a trademark as you wont be running the same games, their advantage lays in brand familiarity. By substantially different I was talking about functionality, adding a large set of new features or changing the way people use mobile devices, they are not doing that. Their UI is uniquely theirs and they may well manage to get their own section of the market, but the way you put it: "really shake up the mobile world" gives the impression of substantial change, I don't believe that will happen personally. But both you and me are merely speculating here, so.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
is the nano tapered? does the nano have curved glass, to fit with the overall curvature of the device? if no, then what? Apple not only has exclusive rights to "Square within square with rounded corner", but also "rounded square, within square"

Jesus F. Christ.

---------

Its funny. When Android outperform the iPhone, spec wise, all we hear is: Specs doesn't matter. When someone else does the same, then its fail...

MR logic at its best.

At some point, people start to copy designs, even OLD Nano designs. I think the point is when do you see other companies innovate some new fresh design? You really don't. Apple always pioneers something new, and everyone else lifts elements of the idea. Even if not exact copies. It would just be nice for once for a company that is NOT Apple to release a product that makes me go, "wow, that's a hot design! so fresh! i want it!" and not say, meh, "it looks like franeksteins monster with borrowed limbs from a, b, c.)

Your second point shows how ignorant you are. Specs mean crap. You can throw a 2GHZ processor into a machine, but that doesn't mean it will perform as well or better than a machine with 1GHZ processor. Android and Windows are very bloated OS-es (even Win7 still suffers from this), and they are more resource hungry. IOS/Mac OS are far more efficient and do more with less.

It's like comparing a 300lb man to a 150lb runner. Both can technically lift the same amount of weight, but one doesn't need to consume as much food and have all the bulk and bloat to do it because their body is a better run machine.

So spec-wise, out perform is a stupid thing to say. For anything. Don't even compare it. The web is full of speed tests and comparisons that show macs and IOS devices performing the same exact tasks in the same apps faster with less under the hood. Might be those apps when programmed for a different platform run better too.... Actually, the generally do. Read reviews for Microsfot office on the mac. "Works better than the windows version."

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011

You do know that WP7 has ten colors you can choose from, right? Including brown? I personally use the "mango" color, but was using red until a week or so ago. You can just change it whenever you want. Past that, most apps will have their own tile design (Netflix and ESPN ScoreCenter have slightly different shades of red, for example), so the top of your home screen is unlikely to be any single monotonous color after a week of use.

JonP

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
Your second point shows how ignorant you are. Specs mean crap. You can throw a 2GHZ processor into a machine, but that doesn't mean it will perform as well or better than a machine with 1GHZ processor. Android and Windows are very bloated OS-es (even Win7 still suffers from this), and they are more resource hungry. IOS/Mac OS are far more efficient and do more with less.

Are you serious? I write apps for mobile devices and have an Iphone 4, Galaxy S2 and a HTC HD7 and without a doubt for a second I can tell you that Windows Phone 7 is the least bloated of the 3 os's.

Its a wonderful OS, very quick and efficent, a bit lacking in substance pre the Mango update but now its a wonderful OS. Since Mango I now use the HD7 as my day to day phone, its alot quicker and nice to use compared to my IP4.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Looking through the spec, I am a bit disappointed Nokia didn't go with their signature pentaband radio this time (so it would support AT&T, T-Mobile, and the rest-of-the-world 3G).

My source is an employee of Microsoft. I was shocked to hear this as well. Apparently its not public knowledge as I read this thread and nobody knows.

No, Microsoft did not buy Nokia.

I'm glad your employee "source" doesn't work in my department or I'd beat his ass for giving misinformation.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I should have made it more clear about Microsoft making OS which is what I actually meant. I am fully aware they didn't make phones.
As for Newton Intelligence? What the hell does that have to do with it? Was the Newton a smartphone or a vastly overpriced large device sold as a PDA? Or do you wish to compare to Psion's and Ipaq'a from the day?

The entire smartphone category of devices derives from PDAs. The main differentiation is that a smartphone is a PDA with a phone in it. They're not very different. In fact, most smartphone designs are internally built as PDAs with phones built in. Literally. The Pre, the original iPhone, and the Treos all were a base PDA with an internally separate radio module. I haven't taken apart many Windows phones, but I'd expect at least a quarter of the designs to also do this too. Heck, even Siemens had a Newton-based desk phone.

Palm Pilot -> Palm 7 -> Palm Treo -> Cobalt -> Palm Pre.
Windows CE Pocket PC -> Windows CE Smartphone edition -> Windows Mobile 7.
Newton Intelligence -> iOS.
Psion/EPOC32 -> Symbian Series

On the left is the earliest mobile OS of that series, and on the right is the current product of that lineage. I'm not saying that iOS is a new version of Newton, nor that the Pre is a new version of the Pilot.
I'm saying that mobile OS' have been around longer than you implied. And that design ideas from the earliest of that lineage continue to influence descendants.

As strange at it might sound at first, when you look at what goes into making a smartphone, both Microsoft and Apple have had more experience than Nokia when it comes to the "smart" part of "smartphone".

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
At some point, people start to copy designs, even OLD Nano designs. I think the point is when do you see other companies innovate some new fresh design? You really don't. Apple always pioneers something new, and everyone else lifts elements of the idea. Even if not exact copies. It would just be nice for once for a company that is NOT Apple to release a product that makes me go, "wow, that's a hot design! so fresh! i want it!" and not say, meh, "it looks like franeksteins monster with borrowed limbs from a, b, c.)

It's like comparing a 300lb man to a 150lb runner. Both can technically lift the same amount of weight, but one doesn't need to consume as much food and have all the bulk and bloat to do it because their body is a better run machine.

So spec-wise, out perform is a stupid thing to say. For anything. Don't even compare it. The web is full of speed tests and comparisons that show macs and IOS devices performing the same exact tasks in the same apps faster with less under the hood. Might be those apps when programmed for a different platform run better too.... Actually, the generally do. Read reviews for Microsfot office on the mac. "Works better than the windows version."

That's a long winded way of saying specs don't matter unless it pertains to Apple. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.