Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwong2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
In you guy's opinion, outside of AirPort, which is the best Mac-compatible Wireless-N device? I am thinking about switching over to Wireless-N. Thanks!

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I've had no issues with m Dlink DIR-655

This certainly has great reviews although I had the Dlink 625 and it was dropping the signal every 5 minutes. It also only connected to my MBP at 130 mbps as opposed to the AEBS which connects at 300 mbps in 5 Ghz mode. If you're going Dlink I would wait until the new 855 comes out in Oct/Nov as it has a 5Ghz option

kwong2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I have been looking at the Netgear WNR854T N-Router lately, and I was wondering what everyone thinks of this router.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
First post here. Hi all.

I just got the new Belkin N1 Vision. It works GREAT. I was going to get the new Gigabit Extreme router. But, for only $30 more, for my needs and wants, the Belkin just had me hooked.

I get 1 more ethernet port, and the surprisingly usable display. It is lacking the USB port from the Extreme, but that would go unused by me, so no loss. Plus, unlike the bland white block that is the Airport, this thing actually looks great sitting on a desk. But, with all the stuff it shows, it needs to be.

Overall though, its great. There was no setup CD needed. Just plug it in, type "routersetup" in a browser, and you are good to go. Very easy, simple, and useful. Within 10 mins, I had the router setup, all my machines on, and the Wii was pulsing at me. Very simple.

The only kind of quirky thing with it is the buttons. The selector is covered in a soft rubber material. It looks and feels nice. But, it seems like they placed the actual buttons themselves just a little far away. At first, I thought the thing was broken when I got it. The buttons didn't seem to react to my presses at all. Then, I realized that the rubber is just kind of thick, and you have to press kind of hard. After I got that figured out, its a piece of cake now.

Overall, I really like it. It is a HUGE step up from my old Linksys G. Depending on what you need in a router, it might be worth a look. Like I said before, it was only $30 more, and for what I need, that is easily worth it. If you are someone who doesn't really need the extra ethernet port, and could use the USB port, then maybe not so much. And, looks are subjective, but I happen to like the looks of this thing, A LOT. What do you think.....?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.