Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Does anyone use (non HD) eyeTV on a 24" iMac?

Just wondered, being that std tv is about 480pixel high and the iMac is 1200 -does it look odd or is it better???? Suppose the same goes for DVDs....

(building up ammo to pursuade the wife to upgrade!)

mchank

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
I used an Eyetv 200 on a 20" iMac and the picture was ok, but a little grainy and washed out looking compared to a regular TV. I'd recommend an HD version if you care about picture quality, especially if you have a new glass iMac.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
I think the eyeTV hardware is HD ready - but we dont get over the air HD in the UK yet.....

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Same with any LCD tv - the picture looks dreadful.

If you sit back about 3-4 feet it looks fairly acceptable. I use EyeTV on my 15.4" MBP and in full screen mode the picture is pretty poor - I hate how Britain is so so so far behind with the likes of HD.

Some crap about not being able to transmit on a certain waveband or something - similar laws as to why the UK version of the Airport Extreme (n) Base Station isn't as fast as the US version; ours operates on a slower frequency or something like that.

Sigh, we'll get there eventually - maybe by 2014 if we're lucky. There is a lot of Britain who still can't recieve fecking digital TV, nevermind us updating to HD over the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.