Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
Just ordered myself a new MacBook. The 2016 model. No Pro, No Air, Just a MacBook. Only things to have owned by Apple is the Apple Watch and iPhones. Have wanted a MacBook for many years. The only reason why I opted for just the regular MacBook though is because of the slimness, and just how wonderful it looks. Have only temporarily played on one at the Apple Store but was very briefly. I don't know anything about Captain, or Apples OS. I'm just to new on the Apple PC scene. I already have a Windows laptop. Just a Dell, and of course the iPad Pro (in which I'm typing this article on), along with the Logitech Keyboard in which I bought for it. And just by looking at the Mac and this, it seems like it might not be TO different. But again, this is only from watching video reviews in which I've been watching since my purchase. I will pick it up Saturday, and I am super excited. That being said, this wasn't something that was needed, just something I have been wanting. Am I getting everything I'm hoping for? I'm not using it for games, or editing videos. Just a regular MacBook to tinker with, and hopefully fall in love with. Kind of worried about change because I am so used to Windows, but sometimes change is good. Right?

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
OS X has a lot of the same basic features as Windows. In fact it is more like Windows now than older versions of OS X and Classic Mac OS were. There was a time where Macs only used one button mice and it was very awkward compared to Windows.

Apple Icon on the top right gets you to a lot of your system functions like you would use control panel for on Windows. You don't have a start menu but in your dock will be Launchpad which has all your apps. Spend some time with Apple's default apps, some of them are quite good. I use Pages as my main word processor and it's a fine program.

Google for Mac hot keys as they are a little different than Windows hot keys. The Command key is used for a lot more stuff than the start key is used for on a Windows keyboard

The App Store is useful for finding secure software for your Mac but it is fairly limited compared to the iOS App Store. Unlike on iOS, with Macs you can download apps off the web and install them separately from the App Store. This is a good way to get software that isn't available on the official store but just like with Windows, you want to make sure you can trust the website you're getting the software from.

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
Thank you. Will definitely come back to this thread so I can remember these tips and tricks that are given to me. I know one thing I will probably not get used to is not being able to touch the screen. I love my iPad Pro, and can honestly say I love this Logitech Smart Keyboard to. But the ability to touch the screen is really nice. But again, a learning curve I'll just have to get used to.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Just ordered myself a new MacBook. The 2016 model. No Pro, No Air, Just a MacBook. Only things to have owned by Apple is the Apple Watch and iPhones. Have wanted a MacBook for many years. The only reason why I opted for just the regular MacBook though is because of the slimness, and just how wonderful it looks. Have only temporarily played on one at the Apple Store but was very briefly. I don't know anything about Captain, or Apples OS. I'm just to new on the Apple PC scene. I already have a Windows laptop. Just a Dell, and of course the iPad Pro (in which I'm typing this article on), along with the Logitech Keyboard in which I bought for it. And just by looking at the Mac and this, it seems like it might not be TO different. But again, this is only from watching video reviews in which I've been watching since my purchase. I will pick it up Saturday, and I am super excited. That being said, this wasn't something that was needed, just something I have been wanting. Am I getting everything I'm hoping for? I'm not using it for games, or editing videos. Just a regular MacBook to tinker with, and hopefully fall in love with. Kind of worried about change because I am so used to Windows, but sometimes change is good. Right?

Congrats and best of luck, it will drive you nuts with the file system and the menu bar but remember Windows 10 runs great on the rMB and should be easy to install via bootcamp so it's breeze to escape back to the familiar and leave just a little 35GB drive for OSX when you want to play :)

Reactions: ShawnTXDFW

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
The best advice I can give is simply to just use it.
Don't worry about battery health, screen flaking, CPU wear and tear, keyboard cleaning, whatever. Just use it.
If there is a genuine fault with the machine it will become evident soon enough.

So use it and don't worry.

And FFS don't put a sodding case on it, cases end up scratching the bodywork more than normal wear and tear. These aluminium bodies can take a serious beating.
-again; use it, don't worry.

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
Obviously hoping for not defects whatsoever. Fingers crossed this is a good experience for me! Super stoked. Will be opening it later this afternoon! ;)
[doublepost=1465059527][/doublepost]
Congrats and best of luck, it will drive you nuts with the file system and the menu bar but remember Windows 10 runs great on the rMB and should be easy to install via bootcamp so it's breeze to escape back to the familiar and leave just a little 35GB drive for OSX when you want to play :)

Would love to play with OSX first before I even attempt to install Windows on a Mac. To me, that would be killing the MacBook no? I already have a Dell laptop in which was given to me, a VERY nice one at that, and I put Windows 10 on that, so If I had to go to Windows that would be the laptop I'd probably go to. IF I decided to go that way though, is it a fairly simple process? You'd have to partition the SSD no?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Buy the book "OS X El Capitan: the Missing Manual" by David Pogue. Should be available on Amazon and in your local bookstore if you have a Barnes & Noble near you. It will be very helpful in explaining the OS and also in getting acquainted with your new Macbook in general. Enjoy!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Would love to play with OSX first before I even attempt to install Windows on a Mac. To me, that would be killing the MacBook no? I already have a Dell laptop in which was given to me, a VERY nice one at that, and I put Windows 10 on that, so If I had to go to Windows that would be the laptop I'd probably go to. IF I decided to go that way though, is it a fairly simple process? You'd have to partition the SSD no?

This is one of the nice thanks about MAC's the quite happy to run OSX or Windows, it should be straight forward and all the instructions and files needed etc (except windows 10) is provided by Apple, you simply start by running bootcamp assistant in the utility section of OSX and follow the prompts to partition and install files etc.

Whether you choose to run more OSX or widows 10 in terms of partition size is your choice and to completely remove the windows partition at anytime is almost just one click

The simple points I am raising for you is you have options should you not enjoy OSX you will still have one of the best compact svelte devices to run windows on :)

Personally I think you will be surprised with OSX and wonder what all the fuss is about and it will take quite some time to get past initial frustrations and annoyances IMO, best of luck and enjoy but it's a lot different than say swapping from an IPhone to an Android.

If you succeed in you aim of using OSX more then there is still advantages of having a bootcamp partition even if it's for some legacy software and games and the same is true in reverse if you end up going mainly Windows.

Also remember that there is Icloud and Widows utilities provided by Apple to support synch and sharing of all your Apple toys and ITunes, photos, address book etc

Main thing is too enjoy and be productive on your new rMB

Probably the best way to learn your new rMB is to actually do something on it than just looking around :)

Last edited:

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England

My advise. Just go with it.

Forget Windows completely. Don't compare. Think fresh. Use it intuitively and see how far you get.

If you get stuck just open Safari, the blue compass icon, and google what you need to know.

Enjoy it.

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
Thanks to all of you whom replied. Right now I'm typing on my new rMB and I am completely in love with this little thing. Having both the iPad Pro (12.9 inch) and this, this definitely seems quite smaller. And I know it is in reality. However, there are pros and cons of both. I love my IPP for many other reasons. It's not really a laptop. I mean, yes, it can be, but I can't see it replacing this little thing. For how small this is, it seem to be fitting most of my needs, and I can see it being the laptop I have always wanted. Typing on this thing didn't take long to get used to at all. I type quite heavy so sometimes I'm tapping these keys like crazy. Kind of hard in a way if that makes sense. But that's only because this is what I'm used to. The trackpad is wonderful. Why can't all laptops be like this thing? Now all I have to do is buy adapters.

Quick question though, and i kind of feel stupid for asking this, but thought I might as well. Do i need an adapter to be able to plug the iPhone and iPad in? They look like they'd fit in this USB-C or whatever you want to call it. Still going to have to see what the FN control option and command buttons can do. Right now I'm kind of clueless, but I'll learn. So far so good. I am very pleased with my purchase. ;)

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
Quick question though, and i kind of feel stupid for asking this, but thought I might as well. Do i need an adapter to be able to plug the iPhone and iPad in? They look like they'd fit in this USB-C or whatever you want to call it.
Yes, you would need an adapter in order to do that. As much as they look somewhat similar in size, the USB-C cable that comes with the MacBook will not fit into the Lightning port of your iPhone or iPad.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Op
My story is exactly the same
Though I purchased a lightening to USB-C cable even before I bought the rMB lol, I knew I could charge my iPP 12.9" faster with 29W rMB charger so when my rMB came i could connect everything to everything when in need

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
Why not get even more out of your IPP with your new rMB and use it as a second display :)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/duet-display/id935754064?mt=8

Interesting. I didn't think about this. I didn't even think it was possible. But now that I know? Thank you! Will have to keep in mind. Wondering if by doing this, syncing the display to the Mac it would only transfer the screen image no? So wouldn't be like I can touch the screen and things will happen on the Mac? Kind of like remote (ing?) in isn't it? That's another problem that I've been running into. Being on the IPP and using the touch screen is really nice. If they enabled touch screen on the MacBook probably would've been really nice and really helpful. Either way, as stated in a previous post, it's a learning curve, and one I'm willing to learn as I go. Of course, there is always MacRumors, or Google for that matter. ;)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Interesting. I didn't think about this. I didn't even think it was possible. But now that I know? Thank you! Will have to keep in mind. Wondering if by doing this, syncing the display to the Mac it would only transfer the screen image no? So wouldn't be like I can touch the screen and things will happen on the Mac? Kind of like remote (ing?) in isn't it? That's another problem that I've been running into. Being on the IPP and using the touch screen is really nice. If they enabled touch screen on the MacBook probably would've been really nice and really helpful. Either way, as stated in a previous post, it's a learning curve, and one I'm willing to learn as I go. Of course, there is always MacRumors, or Google for that matter. ;)
I've never used it but they imply there is some touch capability

http://www.duetdisplay.com/

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I use Duet display with my rMB & 12.9" iPP as a nomadic desktop setup, never even thought of touching the screen lol. When using iPP as a secondary display, touching the screen isn't very intuitive to me

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
I love my little rMB. From reading the reviews on the keyboard I can see how it's like a touch screen. Or similar to a touch screen I should say. I'm a pretty 'hard' typer I guess, or so my other half tells me anyway. Have no idea what that means. I told him I type, that's it. There is no soft or hard (and here come the gay jokes), it's just how loud the keyboard is. I'm still getting used to Captain though. Google has helped me on some of the things that I need help with but for the most part I'm just experimenting. Using it only a handful of times though so far. Right now I'm typing this on my IPP, with the Logitech keyboard. I was contemplating on buying the Apple Smart Keyboard but don't really see the reason as I already feel comfortable with this, and getting used to the rMB's keyboard. I will continue to monitor this thread though for any new responses. But so far you've all been a great deal of help. So thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.