Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderseed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
I have a Macbook Pro, can't remember what year.

My mac randomly doesn't charge sometimes, in the last while it chooses not to charge more often than usual. The green/orange light isn't on. The menu on the computer says "The Battery isn't charging."

And when I plug it in, the computer screen gets brighter and the battery has a sign on it as if it recognizes that the charger is plugged in, but it's not lighting up and not charging for some reason. When I keep it plugged in like this the battery doesn't get any lower, but it still isn't charging at all.

And sometimes if I unplug it and replug it a bajillion times I can get it to charge, but it's getting worse, not working at all right now.
I've tried 3 different chargers on it and none of them are working so it's not the charger.

Please tell me what to do. I am not a techy computer person so please tell me in laymens terms.

thunderseed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
I'm not sure your sentence is even finished, considering it ends with a comma.
I just googled what PSU is, did you mean Power Supply Unit?
I have NO idea what that is but isn't that the entire laptops innards or something. How much would it cost to replace that? Would it be cheaper to just buy a whole new laptop?

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (for MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro) its about $80. you can get them from local stores/amazon or apple.

thunderseed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (for MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro) its about $80. you can get them from local stores/amazon or apple.

Why are you telling me to get a new charger? You just told me I had to replace the PSU, or is a PSU the same thing as a charger/power adapter?

Because the thing is, I've already tested my laptop with 3 different chargers, plugged it into bajillions of different plug ins. It's having issues with all of them so I'm pretty sure the problem is in the laptop not the power adapters.

I'm probably just going to bring it in to the computer repair place today, they might be able to figure it out. I'm basically retarded when it comes to techy things like this.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If the MBPro power adapter does not help (you say that you have tried several with the same results), then there's a list of a few things that you can try:
Replace the battery. It may be easy, depending on the MBPro model that you have, and how old it is.
Replace the DC-in, or magsafe board (that's the internal connector where you plug in the power adapter.)
If neither of those help, then you have the power circuitry on the logic board. You can't fix it by any other means except replacing the logic board.

You also might get other help if you can tell us exactly which model MBPro you have :D
Boot up, look at the Apple menu, About this Mac. The processor and model will be in that window. You can also find out more information by clicking on the More Info button (or the System Report on newer systems). First item will be Hardware Overview, and you can tell us what the Model Identifier is. (MacBookPro9,2 or something similar!)

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Why are you telling me to get a new charger? You just told me I had to replace the PSU, or is a PSU the same thing as a charger/power adapter?

Because the thing is, I've already tested my laptop with 3 different chargers, plugged it into bajillions of different plug ins. It's having issues with all of them so I'm pretty sure the problem is in the laptop not the power adapters.

I'm probably just going to bring it in to the computer repair place today, they might be able to figure it out. I'm basically retarded when it comes to techy things like this.

Well if you tested the PSU/charger whatever description you want to apply to it, then unless you are very unlucky and all three devices are not working you are perhaps best to book a session with apple to get further advice like you say.

thunderseed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Thanks guys, turns out it was a really easy fix and I'm just really dumb. The part where the charger connects to was dirty inside and had to be cleaned out, now it's working just fine. At least it didn't have to get repaired or anything!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks guys, turns out it was a really easy fix and I'm just really dumb. The part where the charger connects to was dirty inside and had to be cleaned out, now it's working just fine. At least it didn't have to get repaired or anything!

If it was as dirty as that then clean out your Mac because it should be full of dust!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.