Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Ok, here's a weird one for you.

After installing the new iPod Software 1.2 update (this is on a recently purchased refurb 30GB Video iPod), the feature that allows you to transfer purchased music back to a computer kicked in automatically. I had only ever synced it with this computer, and when I went to sync it again, it told me there were purchased songs on the iPod that weren't on my computer. :confused: Thinking maybe something'd happened and some of my songs had been lost without me knowing, I said, ok, pull them off the iPod and put them on the computer again.

20+ songs I have never heard of before appear in my iTunes library. The only thing I can figure is that somehow it found songs that had been on the drive from the previous user, though I would have expected better from Apple in wiping the drive, and now they've been transferred to my computer. Now, I know most people would think, hey, free music, cool! Unfortunately, it was music I really don't want on my computer (or iPod, though it doesn't seem to be present on the iPod). At least three of the songs were tagged explicit, and none were my type of music, so I deleted them.

Now three of the songs I had in my library (worship music, no less) are tagged explicit without any explanation!!! For those familiar, the songs are "Beautiful (Radio Mix)" by Audio Adrenaline, "Famous One" by Chris Tomlin, and "Fad of the Land (Lounge Remix)" by The Newsboys. All three are Christian artists, and none of the songs are even remotely explicit, nor were they tagged explicit before. It's very strange, and somewhat annoying. I don't know how to change that either, and I'd rather not have them tagged that way, since I know someone's going to see it and ask sometime. Could be embarrassing.

Anyone else have any problems like this?

jW

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I think I read something somewhere saying that there was some sort of bug with songs that have a genre of "Inspirational" which is what I would suspect those songs are labeled as. That might be it if it exists.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Well, the first one was, but the second was labeled "Worship" and the third doesn't have a genre applied (usually Music Store downloads do, I wonder why this one doesn't?). I'd never heard of that bug, but it might be related. Thanks for the info.

jW

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I don't know of any (easy) way to change the tag for the files, but you could go to iTunes > Preferences and untick 'Show content ratings in library'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.