Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I'm a college student currently using a 13'' macbook air to take my notes with. It works wonderfully. One flaw about using the macbook is that it's a pain in my science classes not being able to draw quick diagrams or sketches during lectures as the professor is drawing and explaining. This is why I have a notebook in my backpack as well... which kind of ruins the point of going "digital". Also, the notebook won't fit on my classroom's desks with a macbook on it. I was thinking of swapping out the macbook air, and going with an iPad Pro, and going split screen with my textbook on one side, and note taking on the other. THEN, I'd be going completely digital.

Does anyone else use their iPad Pros with their Apple Pencils for note taking? How is it?
Any other suggestions?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Yes. It's awesome. Like, completely awesome. I'm currently doing my PhD in Computational Nuclear Engineering... so I know what you mean about science notes ;-)

There are a lot of options for which App to use. I have posted a pretty huge list/review of them over here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app-for-strictly-taking-notes.1950982/#post-22474535

(also: attached to that post is an image of what some of my science notes look like in Notability)

TLDR: Notability and Goodnotes are currently the best. OneNote works if you like Microsoft stuff.

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Yes. It's awesome. Like, completely awesome. I'm currently doing my PhD in Computational Nuclear Engineering... so I know what you mean about science notes ;-)

There are a lot of options for which App to use. I have posted a pretty huge list/review of them over here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app-for-strictly-taking-notes.1950982/#post-22474535

(also: attached to that post is an image of what some of my science notes look like in Notability)

TLDR: Notability and Goodnotes are currently the best. OneNote works if you like Microsoft stuff.

Wow! thank you so much!

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
It's legitimately like writing on a notebook with a real pencil. I've always made A's in college courses without taking notes with stressful last second studying but the iPad pro has converted me to a note taker.

I like notability but I wish it had a mode to only write with the pencil and scroll with your fingers. Now you have to use 2 fingers to scroll and 1 finger will make marks though.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Since you mentioned putting your book next to your notes on the iPP... I'll mention that that works perfectly. Last semeester I rented one of my textbooks through Kindle. I was able to bring it up right next to Notability both while in class and while doing homework. Worked great!

Only bad thing is that none of the note-taking apps allow you to have two different notes open side-by-side in landscape mode yet. This does make it difficult to do homework on the iPP if you need to refer to your notes a lot.

One way around it is to use Notability's ability to backup in PDF form to Dropbox. You can then use PDF Expert's ability to sync with Dropbox to bring your notes up in PDF Expert right next to Notability while doing your homework. Works pretty well until a better solution comes along!

Last thing I'll note here about multitasking and note taking on the iPP: it works WAY better than you could really imagine. The palm rejection is so perfect that you can actually rest your hand inside one application while writing in the other!! I was really surprised at how perfectly it works.
[doublepost=1454211840][/doublepost]OK: one more thing. While doing my homework on the iPP with Notability and Kindle... one cool thing I could do is take a screenshot of something from the book and then insert it right into my homework in Notability (you dan even crop it down in Notability to exactly what you want to place in your homework).

Notability has this cool feature where you can write right on top of any inserted images... and it actually associates the writing with the image (so if you move it around the writing moves with the image). This lets you do stuff like import a graph from your book and then mark it up with some annotations in your homework. Very cool stuff.

This is all just the beginning too. This thing has only really existed for like 3 months! I can't wait to see what it's going to be like in a year or so....

Last edited:

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
FWIW, I really like GoodNotes for taking handwritten notes and also for highlighting & annotating PDFs (journal articles and the like).

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

I LOVE Notability on my iPad Pro!
I also have it on my iPhone 6s Plus and iMac.

Reactions: friedmud

bluermlou

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
+1 to Notability. Using it mainly to annotate PDFs, and using the stock ios Notes app for regular note taking during the work day.

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I'm still debating myself on wether to use Notability or GoodNotes, which are the advantages of each?
Also if I take notes but also I do a lot of PDF hilighting and marking, should I go with PDF Expert, Notability or GoodNotes, or just use a combo like Notability(for Notes)-PDF Expert (for marking PDFs)?

Thanks

Last edited:

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I'm a Notability user, I can't think of a better note taking software. All my notes sync via iCloud to iPad Pro, Mac, iPhone. I also have the backup set to Dropbox as PDF which allows for easy printing of the notes, or more often sending a link to someone so they can read the notes.

I like notability for the minimal notepad style that it has, it is not trying to be a word with notes, you have paper type options, standard color options etc. I also like how you can record audio and they are part of the note you are making.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
I agree it's awesome. I've tried to use a "traditional" iPad for note taking many times before, but always gave up.

I use the Pencil with OneNote so it syncs with my work laptop running Windows. I've been finally able to leave the notepads at home :)

SS4Luck

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
SoCal
I bought my iPP just to take notes in class (am going for engineering so I understand the need to draw quickly).

I carry my rMBP, iPP and iPAd Air with me daily and use only my iPP 99% of the time

I carry my iPad Air to use for my digital textbooks, and to have the master copy of my notes on notability to copy/make outlines on the iPP

I carry my rMBP for excel/word heavy stuff and then transfer it all to notability on the iPP.

You won't regret it

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Notability and Pencil has recently made me throw out my paper note pads of many years. it really has revolutionised the way i now organise my working life.

it's syncs with my drop box account automatically and perfectly. i LOVE it.
i use it for my home and personal etchings, and more importantly, have at least 6 or 7 constant on-going works note books and meeting note books and sketch books in use at any given time. fantastic app in my opinion.

SS4Luck

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
SoCal
Probably my favorite part. Import pics/PDFs, write em all up and export or print them with your hand notation.

Has made noting pics and such for certain classes a dream (see pic, Study of Ancient Egypt class/notes)
[doublepost=1454412185][/doublepost]Also, it's a screen shot from my iPhone, I re read a lot of my notes from my phone at night laying in bed after class. Never have to wait more than 30 seconds from start of notability to the time it completely syncs itself

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    840.1 KB · Views: 992

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
agreed. tested out most of the apps on friedmud's list in recent times, especially with regard to the Pencil, and found Notability heads and shoulders above all others. for me anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.