Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I have decided that I need a new laptop. A key factor for me is the ability to play games and I am trying to offset that with having to live with XP. I love OS X, but for a life-long gamer chosing a mac is tough...

So I have decided to pose the question to you guys:

What would you buy?
PC:
eMachines 6805 (made by Arima - so it's better than it sounds)
AMD Mobile Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz)
15 wide screen, RADEON 9600 64mb
512mb PC2700 DDR
60gb HD
802.11b/g
3-3.5 hour battery life
- what I like about this machine is that it breezes through UT2004 and other demanding games (even Far Cry). People are getting 12,000 points in 3dmark2001.
- the CPU and GPU are easily overclocked (I love to tweak).
- what I dislike is the look of it, and the OS.
this costs $2000 CDN ($1400 in the USA - less with rebates)

Mac:
15" PowerBook
G4 1.5 GHz
15 wide screen, RADEON 9700 64mb
512mb PC2700 DDR
80gb HD
802.11b/g
- obvious likes, it's a Mac, Panther, iLife04, build quality
this costs $3000 CDN ($2300 in the USA)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if you are going to play games, then get the PC.

why bother spending $1000 more on a Mac if your primary use is one of Macs weaknesses?

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
Westside guy said:
Actually you could buy a PS2, an XBox and a Game Cube and still be $1500 ahead. :D

hey... someone actually included the gamecube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love gamecube... get the mac and a gamecube!!!!!!!!!! and a wavebird
wireless controller... which rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i dont think any laptop is that great for gaming, windows or pc, that said i have a 12" pb and the only game i ever play on it is Diablo 2, all the rest of my games are PS2....but if you have to play computer games get the windows because it has a much better selection of games than a mac

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I've got the ultimate combination... a Gamecube and a Power Mac G4 Cube! :cool: Now if I could only find my Rubik's Cube...

(Maybe we can turn this from a Mac vs. PC thread into a Gamecube thread. :p)

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Tough one...hmmm... I know I'm bias, but I'd go mac. Here's why: I heard from an independent computer expert that the AMD 64 chip has had some compatibility issues. I have know idea about this, I could be completely wrong but that's what I heard. Plus, Windows and a lot of other applications are not optimized for a 64 bit processor. Also, you've got a bigger HD in the mac and a slightly better graphincs card (I know it's already more expensive, but why not upgrade to the 128?). Lastly, take into consideration the dimensions of the laptop: the PowerBook is 1 inch thin and very light. If you are a mobile person, that might affect you're desicion, and if you're not, why are you considering a laptop anyway ;) ?

As far as who makes it, I don't care if...(reputable Windows company not coming to mind)...makes it! It's still Windows...

It may just be my bias speaking - it seems I've been outvoted by others... :rolleyes:

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Yeah, I have a gaming PC, PS2, and Gamecube already. I really hate console games with a few exceptions. My son digs them more than I do. Next time I go near the PS2 will be for GT4.

Even if I wanted to play a console game, the TV isn't always available in a family of four. I would like to hang out in the same room as the family while they watch spongebob or whatever.

Actually, if it were spongebob I would watch it too.

I like to read my news, watch some democarcy now and blow-up some terrorists. Know what I mean? Ideally it would be on one machine.

It will suck to be Macless for a while, but I think I will sit it out till the G5 powerbook is out. That thing will rock I suspect.

If these things were closer in price, it would be no contest.

Hmm... does anyone with a 1.5 PB want to run some benchmarks for me? If it plays UT2004 at a decent clip (say avg of 35-40 fps) it would probably be enough...

If the Mac dealers in Calgary were not total knobs this decision would be easier to make. They would probably tackle me for going near their displays.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Powerbook and VPC

I would get powerbook because is that you are a Mac Os X lover. Then if you want to play games, Mac already has some great games but, if those games are on PC only you can buy Virtual PC.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
JOD8FY said:
Tough one...hmmm... I know I'm bias, but I'd go mac. Here's why: I heard from an independent computer expert that the AMD 64 chip has had some compatibility issues. I have know idea about this, I could be completely wrong but that's what I heard. Plus, Windows and a lot of other applications are not optimized for a 64 bit processor. Also, you've got a bigger HD in the mac and a slightly better graphincs card (I know it's already more expensive, but why not upgrade to the 128?). Lastly, take into consideration the dimensions of the laptop: the PowerBook is 1 inch thin and very light. If you are a mobile person, that might affect you're desicion, and if you're not, why are you considering a laptop anyway ;) ?

As far as who makes it, I don't care if...(reputable Windows company not coming to mind)...makes it! It's still Windows...

It may just be my bias speaking - it seems I've been outvoted by others... :rolleyes:

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

Yes, its probably your bias. :p

Firstly, get the eMachine because its better for games. That's what you want it for. People who recommend that you get a XBox or something --- can you bring your xbox with you and play games with it on a train, or at school during breaks, etc? Save yourself $1000 and get the eMachine, especially if portability isn't your biggest concern. It sounds as if the only reason you're considering the 15" PB is because of your loyalty to Apple, not your needs.

Nybombers142

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2004
Listen, laptops are meant to be portable workstations, not powerhouse gameing machines. Either get a powerful desktop PC, or get a 15" (mabey 12"?) Powerbook, and a PS2. Your not going to need a serious gaming machine in the middle of school. You'll have to bring a bunch of discs, a real mouse to hook up, and a fast reliable internet connection. You'll feel much more cofterable in a bedroom. So go for the desktop PC, or Mac/ PS2 combo. I'd get the Mac because I like playing games lying in a couch.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
quagmire said:
I would get powerbook because is that you are a Mac Os X lover. Then if you want to play games, Mac already has some great games but, if those games are on PC only you can buy Virtual PC.

virtual pc is no good for games because most wont run and if they do they will be crap because VPC cannot access the video card so its useless for games, plus there is no chance that it could ever be fast enough for a serious gamer

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Im a pc user.Im also really close to switching .only reason i didnt yet is becuase im waiting for a g5 update or a g5 pb :D .if you are a serious gamer .than an alienware is your best bet.but if you want stability and beauty well theres only one :) place to live.Macworld.

rstroud

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2004
Abstract said:
Yes, its probably your bias. :p

Firstly, get the eMachine because its better for games. That's what you want it for. People who recommend that you get a XBox or something --- can you bring your xbox with you and play games with it on a train, or at school during breaks, etc? Save yourself $1000 and get the eMachine, especially if portability isn't your biggest concern. It sounds as if the only reason you're considering the 15" PB is because of your loyalty to Apple, not your needs.
But you won't be playing for long! The battery life on my Inspiron 1100 playing games is horrible...1:30 mins tops. Notebooks aren't meant to game on a battery, but that is my opinion...

buzlink

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2004
Kansas
g30ffr3y said:
hey... someone actually included the gamecube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love gamecube... get the mac and a gamecube!!!!!!!!!! and a wavebird
wireless controller... which rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup!
Gamecube rules.
I had to bring Animal Crossing back out the other day!

Mac|Photo

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2004
MI
nyprospect said:
...if you are a serious gamer .than an alienware is your best bet...

The downside to this is that the Alienware Area51m laptop (gaming one that I assume you are referencing) costs upwards of $3k when fully outfitted. Correct that if I am off base, just my recollections from an semi-recent PC-Gamer mag at a friends house. He already said that if price were close, no decision, so the Alienware is basically out. Besides, VooDoos look soooo cool :p

Anyways, I have been struggling with this decision too because I want to get a 15"PB however I want to play games...but as its been stated, and the more I think about it, no laptop really plays games to the level I am used, so almost any of them will disappoint. There is no real comparison between a desktop and a laptop when gaming, except when you spend over 4k like that new Dell one that is outperforming most gaming desktops :p, but thats a completely different beast.

Get the Mac, use your desktop for gaming and have your laptop be the best :cool:

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Lewdvig was looking for a gaming laptop so i suggested alienware.because he is an avid gamer. a notebook is not the bestchoice for gaming,but since he needs the mobility an alien ware is good. i totally forgot to include the voodoo notebook. Car paint finish is very nice .Either way its going to cost you over 2k . The only game i play on pc is gta3 and vicecity i probably will be switching over to a mac very soon.although i wish gta would consider mac as another platform

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
nyprospect said:
Lewdvig was looking for a gaming laptop so i suggested alienware.because he is an avid gamer. a notebook is not the bestchoice for gaming,but since he needs the mobility an alien ware is good. i totally forgot to include the voodoo notebook. Car paint finish is very nice .Either way its going to cost you over 2k . The only game i play on pc is gta3 and vicecity i probably will be switching over to a mac very soon.although i wish gta would consider mac as another platform

I am going to get the Acer Aspire 2012. It is made from polished Magnesium and is quite the nice little gaming rig.

http://www.acer.com/APP/AKC/INTERNE...05144109D49B739388256E7E000C42AB?OpenDocument

Centrino 1.5, RADEON 9700, 15" widescreen, 4.5hr batt, 4xDVD burner (mutliformat), XP Pro, subwoofer, and a cool bios that lets you match DVDs and listen to music without booting into windows, It's $1000 cheaper than the PB. People are getting benchmarks comparable to a desktop from a year ago (what a P4 2.4 with a GF4 4200 would have got).

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
JOD8FY said:
...Tough one...hmmm... I know I'm bias, but I'd go mac. Here's why: I heard from an independent computer expert that the AMD 64 chip has had some compatibility issues. I have know idea about this, I could be completely wrong but that's what I heard. Plus, Windows and a lot of other applications are not optimized for a 64 bit processor.....

Ok. That's completely wrong.
The main strength of the AMD 64 is that while it DOES have 64-bit side, its 32-bit side is even faster than the old Athlon XP chips--hence the reason a 3000+ Athlon 64 can beat much, much higher clocked Pentium 4's in gaming. There are NO compatibility issues. That's the most BS i've eve heard. Windows not optimized? I think he's talking about Windows XP 64-bit edition...that's still in BETA! Who would even consider using it for games?

It sounds like you're talking to an Intel PR rep...get away from him quickly :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.