Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
... so how many Londoners will be having a go on these slides

carstenholler_12.jpg

They've just been installed at the Tate Modern as part of the Turbine Hall exhibition series; there are 5 and apparently trying them out is a key part to appreciating them...

L

Lau

Oh my god — that looks like the most fun ever. The tall one looks completely fabulous. <books train ticket to London for educational art exhibition purposes> :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Applespider said:
They've just been installed at the Tate Modern as part of the Turbine Hall exhibition series; there are 5 and apparently trying them out is a key part to appreciating them...

I'm glad you pointed that out - I thought they were a weird kind of fire escape!

I have to admit, I'd love to try one out.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Lovely!

I work there as a guide for deaf people - I hold lectures in sign language about twice or 3 times a year and have free entry to all the exhibitions.

Can't wait to try out these slides!

PS its quite fascinating walking around the Tate Modern's secrect corridors - there's a staff cafe which is a dump, but sells the same food as their posh restaurants for about 1/2 the price - I buy 3 desserts at a time :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What are the weight/height minimum/maximums on those? I'd love to try those out, but unless someplace in the States decides to make copies it probably won't happen for a while.

And on the extremely tall ones, I can't imagine they'd have more than one person in a tube at a time, especially if someone loses something in there on the way down. Any sort of restrictions on it?

D

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I'm not an artsy person, but there was always some fun stuff at the Tate, but this is great. Almost worth returning to London with the kids, next trip home.... or perhaps not. :)

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I remember being at lunch once while in college and deciding, with a few friends, that rather than asking its students to walk from place to place, the university should really institute a slide/vacuum tube system to transport its students.

Have to admit that was the first thing I thought when I saw the picture above.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Looks like i'll ne going to the Tate then. I have wanted to go for a while and that is a good excuse.

sb58

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2006
Hades
i'm probably going to London to visit my aunt and uncle during the summer and hopefully i can go there :D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Those look VERY cool. Hope no one throws up while sliding down. :barf:

I wonder what it would sound like to tip a whole box of ball bearings down one of them?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
This looks BEYOND fun!

It would never happen in the states, though. People would be terrified of getting sued by people who don't know how to properly go down a slide. :(

L

Lau

Applespider said:
Looks fabulous... I wonder how busy it will get!

I want to go on that so badly after watching the video. :D

It's on till April, but I bet it's really busy at Christmas. Bloody kids. <grumbles> :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.