NSTableView questions

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Captain-Fungi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Oct 20, 2007
    I am a fairly recent entrant into the world of Xcode and Cocoa programming. I have a quick question regarding NSTableView.

If i have two tableview objects in my NIB file what is the best way to get them to use separate delegates and data source? I was thinking along the lines of creating a new controller object for each tableview object.

What is the best way to achieve this?

Many thanks
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Each delegate and data source method passes its table view, so you can just check for that at run time. For example:
    - (int)numberOfRowsInTableView:(NSTableView *)aTableView
        if (aTableView == table1)
            return [array1 count];
        else if (aTableView == table2)
            return [array2 count];
        return 0;
    With methods that use pass a notification, you can call [notification object] to get the table view.

Or you could just learn bindings and not have to deal with this ;)
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2007
    Thanks for the information.

I am using the Hillegass book and am stuck on chapter 6 page 106.

I have the tableView setup correctly and I can see that the delegate outlet is correctly functioning when i change selection. The only problem is that my selection does not change the selected row is always at 0.

Also I have noticed that the actual NSTableView object does not disable/enable when I click the start/stop buttons.

Can anyone offer any advice?
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2007
    It appears that the row = [tableView selectedRow]; method is not working, always says that the selected row is 0.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2007
    Fixed the above problem. I had not connected the App controller NSTableView outlet to the table in the GUI. Thanks anyway.